Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Already an xtra-point missed
Thanks to that new rule, Houston already missed an xtra-point. Imo it was too much a drastic change for a 1 point kick.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Cleveland just made a 48 yard xpoint. Illegal formation and then a holding moved them back. LOL
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Really stupid new rule, I agree! We put the game in the kicker's hands now, how easy will it be for a team to go 16-0 this year.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The Brngals missed one too. It was due to a block, but it missed, nonetheless.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I like it. Before, might as well made a TD worth 7. No reason to have just a formality play where guys still fire off the line, jump in the air and make contact.

It was a drastic change, but the innovative teams will use it to their advantage.

I can't wait for some super windy days somewhere when any kicks that aren't chip shots are risky. The Eagles will probably set the pace by going for 2 quite frequently.
Reply/Quote
There were 8 misses last season on PAT. During week 1 there were 4.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I think I would have rather had a TD worth an automatic 7 than this! Big disadvantage for teams in outdoor stadiums who aren't assured half their games in a cushy dome setting. Or, they could have just left it alone, ALMOST automatic wasn't 100%, and a few big games were decided by missed extra points (ask Romo). Something I'd rather see changed is the definition of a catch and the possession all the way to the ground thing. Been a long time since I seen it, but under current rules, I don't think the Collinsworth fumble would have even been a catch at all today. And...I loathe the Cowboys, but that sure looked like what should have been a catch to me by Dez Bryant last year.
Reply/Quote
Points in the NFL aren't free. You have to work for a touchdown, field goal or safety. Might as well have to work for the PAT as well.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I hate this new rule. it needs to be changed asap!!
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 05:48 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote:  Big disadvantage for teams in outdoor stadiums who aren't assured half their games in a cushy dome setting. 

No disadvantage at all.  They are just as likely to get an extra win when an opponent misses an XP as they are to get a loss when they miss one.

If anything it would be an advantage to teams that have to kick in those type of conditions every week.
Reply/Quote
One thing I didn't get, is why they moved the Extra Point from the 2 yard line all the way to the 15.. Why not just meet in the middle and put it at the 7 or 8 yard line? Heck even the 10 yard line would be more challenging
Reply/Quote
I'm good with that new rule.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 05:48 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: I think I would have rather had a TD worth an automatic 7 than this! Big disadvantage for teams in outdoor stadiums who aren't assured half their games in a cushy dome setting. Or, they could have just left it alone, ALMOST automatic wasn't 100%, and a few big games were decided by missed extra points (ask Romo). Something I'd rather see changed is the definition of a catch and the possession all the way to the ground thing. Been a long time since I seen it, but under current rules, I don't think the Collinsworth fumble would have even been a catch at all today. And...I loathe the Cowboys, but that sure looked like what should have been a catch to me by Dez Bryant last year.

The Bengals lost a game just like that in 2011 vs Baltimore.  It was Gresham who "didn't make the catch" that day.  It's a dumb rule, but a rule is a rule...  No catch.  In both instances,  it looks like a catch though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 07:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No disadvantage at all.  They are just as likely to get an extra win when an opponent misses an XP as they are to get a loss when they miss one.

That's always the theme of the complaint: "What happens if we lose a game because our kicker misses an extra point?" Well, imagine how elated you'll be when your teams wins a game because the other team's kicker missed that extra point.

(09-16-2015, 12:57 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: I'm good with that new rule.

Me too. The extra point had become so automatic it was a waste of television/game time. If they didn't do this, then they might as well have just awared seven points for a TD and then maybe add an extra point if you can convert from the two yard line. Would've been ok with that, too.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 09:42 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: That's always the theme of the complaint: "What happens if we lose a game because our kicker misses an extra point?"  Well, imagine how elated you'll be when your teams wins a game because the other team's kicker missed that extra point.  

Me too.  The extra point had become so automatic it was a waste of television/game time.  If they didn't do this, then they might as well have just awared seven points for a TD and then maybe add an extra point if you can convert from the two yard line.  Would've been ok with that, too.

I seem to recall only seeing the ball tumble down the net because the majority of the extra point itself wasn't shown in favor of showing 3 replays of the play that scored.  So in reality fans would only have to suffer through seeing an extra point for about 2 seconds after every touchdown and before the next slew of commercials.
Reply/Quote
I would've just made the touchdown worth 7 points.
Reply/Quote
Make a TD worth 7 points, put the ball on the 20 every time to eliminate the kickoff, roll dice based upon the distance of what WOULD be a FG to see if they "make it" and then take down the goalposts and eliminate kickers from the game.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 03:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Make a TD worth 7 points, put the ball on the 20 every time to eliminate the kickoff, roll dice based upon the distance of what WOULD be a FG to see if they "make it" and then take down the goalposts and eliminate kickers from the game.

The opening kickoff of the season is now rather underwhelming.

" And the 20XX season is under way, with a touchback"
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 03:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote:  put the ball on the 20 every time to eliminate the kickoff,

This is no fun.  Instead have each head coach submit a bid that consist of the yardline where he would be willing to take the ball.  Whichever team is willing to take the ball closest to its own goal line would get the ball first.

It sounds a little crazy, but when you think about it a while you realize it would involve some serious strategy and gamesmanship among the head coaches.
Reply/Quote
Im surprised by some of the support it has, but I hate it because we are only talkin about a point. One point should be very easy to get, as a reward for a TD. A 2 point-conversion or safety is not as easy to get, and well it is two points. By pushing it back, they are making the extra-point closer in difficulty to the 2 pt conversion, while the reward remains the same.

If anything with it pushed back, make the current "2 pt" conversion spot 1 point, and add a 3rd option at the 10 yard line for the new 2 point conversion spot.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote