Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Already being picked to miss 2016 playoffs
As usual no respect..also picked not to repeat..Redskins, Chiefs, and Texans

USAToday-FTW

By: Steven Ruiz | February 9, 2016 1:12 pm

The Bengals making an appearance on this list says more about the division they play in than it does about the team itself. The Steelers should be a lot healthier in 2016 after losing Ben Roethlisberger and Le’Veon Bell for significant periods of time during the 2015 regular season. The Ravens will not stay down for long, and were probably the unluckiest team in the NFL when it comes to injuries. The AFC North is a battle every year, so Cincinnati dropping from first to third would not be much of a shock.

It’s not just their divisional opponents the Bengals have to worry about either. Six impactful starters are headed for free agency this offseason, as well as two key reserves. Cincinnati has about $36 million in cap room for the upcoming offseason, according to Spotrac’s projections, but most of that will go to trying to keep this team together. It’s unlikely the Bengals will be able to re-sign all of those expired contracts and there certainly won’t be enough money left over to adequately replace the players they lost.

The coaching staff has already taken a huge hit with the departure of offensive coordinator Hue Jackson, one of the best play-callers in the league. Jackson’s offense, and Andy Dalton’s familiarity with it, was a big reason for the quarterback’s breakout season. The playbook may not change much with quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese getting the promotion, but there will surely be growing pains as Dalton adjusts to a new voice in his helmet.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Typical USA Today nonsense. And as usual way premature.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
How quickly people forget that the Ravens sucked BEFORE the injuries started mounting.

Flacco and Forsett played the first 10 games when the Ravens were 3-7. When they had Flacco, Forsett and Steve Smith, they went 1-6.

That team just has a ton of holes. I expect predictions for them to bounce back based on their history, but this is a different Ravens team.

They haven't drafted well for a long time.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
What exactly did Hue Jackson do to get labeled as one of the best play callers in the league? I felt this offense could have been much more prolific had it not been for his asinine play calling. A prime example of this was the Cardinals game. Bengals fall way behind and they finally decide to open up the playbook and let Andy throw down field.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 09:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: How quickly people forget that the Ravens sucked BEFORE the injuries started mounting.

Flacco and Forsett played the first 10 games when the Ravens were 3-7. When they had Flacco, Forsett and Steve Smith, they went 1-6.

That team just has a ton of holes. I expect predictions for them to bounce back based on their history, but this is a different Ravens team.

I have to completely agree with you. The Ravens are a completely different team. This past season proved it. I'd expect the Ravens to be better in 2016, but they'll need some big FA acquisitions and a few hidden gems in the draft.

Pittsburgh will compete with us for the AFC North title, but not the Ravens.
Reply/Quote
Hell, weren't they picking us to finish third last season? Meh, I can't get too worked up over it seven months before live bullets start flying.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Didn't the USA Today pick Hillary to be president too? Bottom line is wait and see what happens.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 09:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: How quickly people forget that the Ravens sucked BEFORE the injuries started mounting.

Their secondary is in shambles. They are running out of DL who can do much of anything. 

The OL could be in big trouble too with pending FA contracts. 

And outside of Smith they have no WR right now. 
Reply/Quote
Lol 3rd
Reply/Quote
Playoff predictions at this point? Man, you'd think they'd be talking about draft needs or something meaningful for this time of year. And hasn't Zampese been with Dalton longer than Hue? How does that voice in the helmet translate to anything tangible? It doesn't.

Reply/Quote
lol.

I guess they forgot that Dalton was an MVP candidate before being injured.

Hue being gone is a MAJOR bonus for us, especially since Zampese worked with Dalton more and better knows his strengths and weaknesses.

Jeremy Hill holds onto the ball and we roll through our schedule ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 07:54 PM)pally Wrote: As usual no respect..also picked not to repeat..Redskins, Chiefs, and Texans

USAToday-FTW

The Bengals making an appearance on this list says more about the division they play in than it does about the team itself. The Steelers should be a lot healthier in 2016 after losing Ben Roethlisberger and Le’Veon Bell for significant periods of time during the 2015 regular season. The Ravens will not stay down for long, and were probably the unluckiest team in the NFL when it comes to injuries. The AFC North is a battle every year, so Cincinnati dropping from first to third would not be much of a shock.

It’s not just their divisional opponents the Bengals have to worry about either. Six impactful starters are headed for free agency this offseason, as well as two key reserves. Cincinnati has about $36 million in cap room for the upcoming offseason, according to Spotrac’s projections, but most of that will go to trying to keep this team together. It’s unlikely the Bengals will be able to re-sign all of those expired contracts and there certainly won’t be enough money left over to adequately replace the players they lost.

The coaching staff has already taken a huge hit with the departure of offensive coordinator Hue Jackson, one of the best play-callers in the league. Jackson’s offense, and Andy Dalton’s familiarity with it, was a big reason for the quarterback’s breakout season. The playbook may not change much with quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese getting the promotion, but there will surely be growing pains as Dalton adjusts to a new voice in his helmet.

Who are these 6 impactful starters?

Andre Smith
Marvin Jones

Pac-man
Illoka
Nelson
Hall?

Honestly, I don't see 6 guys that need to be re-signed.  I see 4 starters (Jones x 2, Nelson and Iloka)

I love how articles like this don't mention the fact that we have Dennard, Shaw and Williams in the secondary or that we have enough cap space to sign everyone that we need

or 

that we have the entire offensive and defensive line starters returning, I mean, after all, games are won up front.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 11:28 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Who are these 6 impactful starters?

Andre Smith
Marvin Jones

Pac-man
Illoka
Nelson
Hall?

Honestly, I don't see 6 guys that need to be re-signed.  I see 4 starters (Jones x 2, Nelson and Iloka)

I love how articles like this don't mention the fact that we have Dennard, Shaw and Williams in the secondary or that we have enough cap space to sign everyone that we need

or 

that we have the entire offensive and defensive line starters returning, I mean, after all, games are won up front.

Ogbuehi will probably get the nod at RT, and that could be a slight upgrade over Andre who has been struggling to string a set of good games back to back since the injuries have piled up. 
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 10:52 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Their secondary is in shambles. They are running out of DL who can do much of anything. 

The OL could be in big trouble too with pending FA contracts. 

And outside of Smith they have no WR right now

...and he'll be 37 in May, coming off a major injury. Not to mention Forsett will 31 in October. Suggs is about done.

Their roster looks ugly right now.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 07:54 PM)pally Wrote: As usual no respect..also picked not to repeat..Redskins, Chiefs, and Texans

USAToday-FTW

Seeing this nonsense over and over is so funny. This team, through the draft, has a roster that is deep and built to win for the long haul. The Bengals have one of the best O-Lines in the game and two talented high draft picks ready to take over . I have no clue who this guy thinks is going to rescue the Ravens, I just don't see it. Pittsburgh will win their typical 9 or 10 games and back in the playoffs again. This team is not only easily the best team in the AFC North , they are one of the top 5 in the NFL.  Andy Dalton is worlds ahead of what he gets credit for around the league.
Reply/Quote
This is one of those things "we" are told to do because it generates just this -- shares/hits etc. Look at Graziano's "prediction" that the Bengals will win the Super Bowl next year. No one actually read that or they wouldn't be sharing it. It wasn't a "prediction" -- he said at some point Charlie Brown is going to kick the ball.

The Bengals were also a team that was going to miss the playoffs last year (and my partner Paul Dehner Jr. said it's happened several times the last few years) -- and the Ravens were going to the Super Bowl. Part of this is national perception. Yes, people will forget Dalton was a top 5 MVP candidate before he was hurt. Marvin isn't a media darling. The Bengals don't woo the national media.

Right now, if I had to - I'd peg them at 10-6/11-5 and either the AFC North champs or a WC team, battling with the Steelers provided good health again.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
So I have seen one writer suggest the Bengals will win the Super Bowl. Another stating they will miss the playoffs. I am confident that the Bengals will fall somewhere within that spectrum.

While neither article matters, one thing that I feel was left out of the USA Today piece was the fact that Pittsburgh could lose some significant contributors because they have a serious salary cap issue.
Reply/Quote
Who's to say the Ravens will even end up third? If Hue gets his hands on a pretty good QB they may end up fourth (the Ravens that is). The Browns aren't that far away from at least winning more games this year than last.
Reply/Quote
We were picked not to repeat last off season as well.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 11:14 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: lol.

I guess they forgot that Dalton was an MVP candidate before being injured.  

Hue being gone is a MAJOR bonus for us, especially since Zampese worked with Dalton more and better knows his strengths and weaknesses.

Jeremy Hill holds onto the ball and we roll through our schedule  ThumbsUp

So the guy that led Dalton to the MVP caliber season, the guy that was honored as the Assistant Coach of the Year leaving is good thing because the play calling will now go to the guy that has been passed up multiple times by this very organization for any promotion?  Sorry, but I will believe Zampese being the OC is a bonus when I see it.
Reply/Quote