Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Also As Seen on TV
So, apparently there has been some sort of revolution in flashlight technology. Anyone who has an old school flashlight with the D batteries and a conventional bulb is also still playing PONG and talking on a rotary land line.

All the cool kids are getting a LED flashlight with a beam that shines halfway to Mars and a skin so tough you can feed it to a T-Rex and after the dinosaur chews it up and shits it out it is still shining as bright as ever. Then you can boil it to sterilize it, freeze it to preserve the memory, and the sum ***** is still blazing away brighter than ever.

Atomic beam, Night Hawk, Bell & Howell Tac Light, Brand X, or "the competition" with a price tag over $300. What is your choice?

Has anyone tried any of the products from the tube or bought a cheap or expensive "tactical" flashlight? Are there great advantages like being able to point it at the refrigerator and see what is inside without opening the door? How many criminals have you blinded with the strobe feature? Does it piss people off when you are 60 miles out to sea and shine the light into their bedroom window on shore?

What is the definitive choice for the discriminating flashlight user who wants to have the best flashlight available in these exciting modern times?
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2016, 09:07 AM)xxlt Wrote: So, apparently there has been some sort of revolution in flashlight technology. Anyone who has an old school flashlight with the D batteries and a conventional bulb is also still playing PONG and talking on a rotary land line.

All the cool kids are getting a LED flashlight with a beam that shines halfway to Mars and a skin so tough you can feed it to a T-Rex and after the dinosaur chews it up and shits it out it is still shining as bright as ever. Then you can boil it to sterilize it, freeze it to preserve the memory, and the sum ***** is still blazing away brighter than ever.

Atomic beam, Night Hawk, Bell & Howell Tac Light, Brand X, or "the competition" with a price tag over $300. What is your choice?

Has anyone tried any of the products from the tube or bought a cheap or expensive "tactical" flashlight? Are there great advantages like being able to point it at the refrigerator and see what is inside without opening the door? How many criminals have you blinded with the strobe feature? Does it piss people off when you are 60 miles out to sea and shine the light into their bedroom window on shore?

What is the definitive choice for the discriminating flashlight user who wants to have the best flashlight available in these exciting modern times?

I don't have one, but I've seen them in action.  I also have some LED cheapies, and for me, nothing beats a good ol trusty 4 cell Mag Lite.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2016, 09:25 AM)Wyche Wrote: I don't have one, but I've seen them in action.  I also have some LED cheapies, and for me, nothing beats a good ol trusty 4 cell Mag Lite.

I have one of those trusty 4 D cell battery Mag Lite.  I think I've played baseball will mine before.  damn thing doubles as a 30 pound hammer. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2016, 10:53 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I have one of those trusty 4 D cell battery Mag Lite.  I think I've played baseball will mine before.  damn thing doubles as a 30 pound hammer. 

Funny, that is what I have too. But, it does seem to have seen better days and spends most of its time doing nothing. The new fangled ones clearly don't have the whacking ability of the 4D mag, but several friends have pointed out that most of us probably don't want to kill someone so a whack to the skull with a Mag may not be the best idea. 

I doubt the strobe of the new fangled light is as anywhere near as effective as the commercials suggest, but I wonder if the lighter weight might make one a good choice even if it doesn't immobilize without killing. On those rare occasions when you search more than a few minutes with a Mag light the ability to whack a baseball or a skull with it loses its charm and I sometimes wish I had something lighter in my hand. 
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2016, 09:25 AM)Wyche Wrote: I don't have one, but I've seen them in action.  I also have some LED cheapies, and for me, nothing beats a good ol trusty 4 cell Mag Lite.

Are the tactical lights really that much brighter? And, if so, does that brightness come with a cost of chewing up batteries in record time? 
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2016, 11:36 AM)xxlt Wrote: Funny, that is what I have too. But, it does seem to have seen better days and spends most of its time doing nothing. The new fangled ones clearly don't have the whacking ability of the 4D mag, but several friends have pointed out that most of us probably don't want to kill someone so a whack to the skull with a Mag may not be the best idea. 

I doubt the strobe of the new fangled light is as anywhere near as effective as the commercials suggest, but I wonder if the lighter weight might make one a good choice even if it doesn't immobilize without killing. On those rare occasions when you search more than a few minutes with a Mag light the ability to whack a baseball or a skull with it loses its charm and I sometimes wish I had something lighter in my hand. 

I've really only used mine to hunt night crawlers.  Never really had a chance to use it as home defense, but I'm not afraid to try that the next time someone wants to break into my home.  I'll be that guy who brings a Mag Lite to a knife fight!  Hilarious
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2016, 11:37 AM)xxlt Wrote: Are the tactical lights really that much brighter? And, if so, does that brightness come with a cost of chewing up batteries in record time?

Yes, and yes. I mean, you can fork over money for a flashlight with bells and whistles that are really designed for people using a flashlight while shooting in a tactical situation, or you can just make do with something that has been working for you. Mag Lite makes LED versions of their classics as well, so there is that.

I went and bought an upgrade kit from Nite Ize to make my Mini Mag an LED with a switch on the bottom. Works great for me. Saw it in a checkout line at Lowe's one time and thought "hey, that'll do."

They make them for the D cell ones, too.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2016, 11:37 AM)xxlt Wrote: Are the tactical lights really that much brighter? And, if so, does that brightness come with a cost of chewing up batteries in record time? 

(08-04-2016, 01:47 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yes, and yes. I mean, you can fork over money for a flashlight with bells and whistles that are really designed for people using a flashlight while shooting in a tactical situation, or you can just make do with something that has been working for you. Mag Lite makes LED versions of their classics as well, so there is that.

I went and bought an upgrade kit from Nite Ize to make my Mini Mag an LED with a switch on the bottom. Works great for me. Saw it in a checkout line at Lowe's one time and thought "hey, that'll do."

They make them for the D cell ones, too.

Yep....I'll say this, when I'm using a headlamp, when camping or wrenching on a car, I love the LED....the light is white and bright.  You can see really well.  On the other hand, when using a flashlight for any prolonged period of time, I don't see the advantage.  They eat batteries, and the distance hasn't been that much better, if at all.  I'm sure the really high dollar ones are, but is it worth it?  Not for my money.  I may look into an LED Mag, but I love the old standby, and that beam is pretty damn bright, and projects rather far.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Seems to me the strobe function would be useless in daylight, so could only disorient a potential adversary in darkness.
Anybody know for sure ?
Reply/Quote
I'm a fan of the LED one's that have the hand crank generator.
I also have about 10-15 of the little cheapie aluminum led ones, strung about the house.
I do also have a 6-cell maglite.
Just like anything else, you need to pick the right one for whatever job your doing.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2016, 02:28 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Yep....I'll say this, when I'm using a headlamp, when camping or wrenching on a car, I love the LED....the light is white and bright.  You can see really well.  On the other hand, when using a flashlight for any prolonged period of time, I don't see the advantage.  They eat batteries, and the distance hasn't been that much better, if at all.  I'm sure the really high dollar ones are, but is it worth it?  Not for my money.  I may look into an LED Mag, but I love the old standby, and that beam is pretty damn bright, and projects rather far.

Yeah, my Petzl headlamp is my usual light source when such a thing is needed. Great light. Mini Mag is a just in case thing.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2016, 04:12 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I do also have a 6-cell maglite.
Just like anything else, you need to pick the right one for whatever job your doing.

My wife always kept a 6 sell maglight in her nightstand.

She claimed it was the only thing for the job she needed..
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2016, 12:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My wife always kept a 6 sell maglight in her nightstand.

To see your microscopic manhood in low light situations?
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2016, 12:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My wife always kept a 6 sell maglight in her nightstand.

I guess something needs to fill the void you left.
Ninja

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote