Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Alt-right rallies in Charlottesville, VA
(08-16-2017, 11:58 AM)GMDino Wrote: One that slipped through the news cycle.

http://www.essence.com/news/twenty-year-old-beat-white-supremacists-speaks-out-may-press-charges

They found the dude in the bottom picture.  His name is Danny Borden.  Another southwest Ohio boy from Mason.  Apparently he's into Twilight, Glee, and racially motivated violence.  Man, these people are weird.
(08-17-2017, 10:33 AM)samhain Wrote: They found the dude in the bottom picture.  His name is Danny Borden.  Another southwest Ohio boy from Mason.  Apparently he's into Twilight, Glee, and racially motivated violence.  Man, these people are weird.

Boy am I proud to be living in southwest Ohio!

Sick
(08-17-2017, 12:29 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Boy am I proud to be living in southwest Ohio!

Sick

I spent my first 18 years on earth planning my escape from SW Ohio.
I got an email from a colleague at UVA, today. This was information shared in a staff meeting and has been spread throughout the university:

Quote: (1) Apparently on Friday night there was a "very low level" request for permission for a group of 20 people to read a speech at the Rotunda. This overture to the University was then bait-and-switched to the march with torches that circled Central Grounds. (2) During the white nationalists' intimidating march around Grounds, many UVA police officers were actually located downtown, where they had been seconded to support Charlottesville City police. (3) On Saturday, there were "several deliberate attempts to spread police thin" through tactics such as fake bomb scares in parts of town away from the main action. (4) By UVA policy, students and employees are prohibited from carrying firearms on Grounds, but by state law, because this is a public property, people with no University affiliation are allowed open carry without a permit and concealed carry with a permit. UVA can make policy enforceable on its own students and employees but not on the general public.

It should be noted, I'm not sure if anyone has posted anything about this, but there was a man that suffered a stroke after a clot dislodged from his punctured carotid that wa sa result of being hit with a flaming tiki torch in the neck by one of those "quiet" protesters on Friday night. Last I heard, he was still in the ICU at UVA. This could end up being a second victim from the weekend.
Charlottesville has a free speech wall on the downtown mall. A place where anyone can chalk it up with any message.

(08-17-2017, 12:43 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I spent my first 18 years on earth planning my escape from SW Ohio.

It seems much better than when I fled 13 years ago surprisingly enough. Might just be nostalgia and lack of listening to WLW advocating the killing of drug offenders by the police...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-17-2017, 08:14 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Charlottesville has a free speech wall on the downtown mall. A place where anyone can chalk it up with any message.

I'd enjoy the hell out of that wall if there was an antifa anti-freedom agitator on the ground next to the nazi.  
(08-18-2017, 02:43 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'd enjoy the hell out of that wall if there was an antifa anti-freedom agitator on the ground next to the nazi.  

Well, the residents of the city see the racist right-wing groups as the ones responsible. I know that in the larger scale the answer is more muddled, but because the hate groups decided to be carpetbaggers to the city, they are responsible.
When Herr Trump gave his news conference sticking up for the Nazi's, he said that the mother of the girl killed by the car thanked him. I don't know for what though. Anyone else hear him say that and is it true?
(08-18-2017, 08:06 AM)ballsofsteel Wrote: When Herr Trump gave his news conference sticking up for the Nazi's, he said that the mother of the girl killed by the car thanked him. I don't know for what though. Anyone else hear him say that and is it true?

She thanked him for his kind words about her daughter via social media. She hasn't, as far as I have seen publicly lambasted him. She has been very vocal about continuing the fight against hatred, bigotry, and racism, though. And he hasn't reached out to the family.
(08-18-2017, 09:41 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: She thanked him for his kind words about her daughter via social media. She hasn't, as far as I have seen publicly lambasted him. She has been very vocal about continuing the fight against hatred, bigotry, and racism, though. And he hasn't reached out to the family.

She comes off as an amazing woman. The way she has carried herself this week... I have no words. Her grief must be overwhelming, but she carries on with positivity and grace.

I think it's kind of sorry that Trump hasn't even reached out to the family. At the same time, he can do no right, and maybe it's better that he doesn't.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(08-18-2017, 07:34 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Well, the residents of the city see the racist right-wing groups as the ones responsible. I know that in the larger scale the answer is more muddled, but because the hate groups decided to be carpetbaggers to the city, they are responsible.

The way I see it, the white supremecist groups are ultimately responsible for starting this shit, both sides are responsible for the violent back-and-forths, and the car driving Nazi asshole is responsible for the murder and injuries he caused
[Image: giphy.gif]
(08-18-2017, 10:42 AM)jason Wrote: I think it's kind of sorry that Trump hasn't even reached out to the family. At the same time, he can do no right, and maybe it's better that he doesn't.

He has, though.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/18/politics/heather-heyer-susan-bro-donald-trump/index.html
Quote:Bro said the White House attempted to reach her repeatedly during her daughter's Wednesday funeral.

It may not be as soon as it should have been done and she clearly isn't taking his call, but he HAS reached out.
(08-18-2017, 12:07 PM)PhilHos Wrote: He has, though.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/18/politics/heather-heyer-susan-bro-donald-trump/index.html

It may not be as soon as it should have been done and she clearly isn't taking his call, but he HAS reached out.

I doubt someone is going to be answering the phone for an unknown number during the funeral of a loved one, just saying.

Edit: just read the article, that was what I figured.
(08-18-2017, 12:07 PM)PhilHos Wrote: He has, though.

Well who is going to answer the phone during their child's funeral? And if it was literally during the funeral, is the White House that ****ing stupid?

Anyways was just watching CNN, and the mother said that she was so busy that she didnt have much time to watch the news or hear about what was going on. But then she saw Trump's remarks that he made on Tuesday, and she said today that she does not want to speak with him now. Basically she is giving Trump the proverbial middle finger to go **** off. As I would do to if I was in her shoes.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-18-2017, 11:37 AM)PhilHos Wrote: The way I see it, the white supremecist groups are ultimately responsible for starting this shit, both sides are responsible for the violent back-and-forths, and the car driving Nazi asshole is responsible for the murder and injuries he caused

That's pretty much the attitude in the community. Though, given the local, non-violent protesters suffered violence at the hands of the racists and not at the hands of the antifa side, and there wasn't a whole bunch of vandalism or anything, they point the are definitely more inclined to point the finger in one direction.

Outside looking in, it's much easier to lay blame at both sides, but when you look at it from a local's perspective it was two groups battling each other, and one group attacking locals. There were even roaming bands of racist shitstains in the city during the evening that jumped people. The media has covered only a fraction of what happened.
(08-18-2017, 12:43 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: That's pretty much the attitude in the community. Though, given the local, non-violent protesters suffered violence at the hands of the racists and not at the hands of the antifa side, and there wasn't a whole bunch of vandalism or anything, they point the are definitely more inclined to point the finger in one direction.

Outside looking in, it's much easier to lay blame at both sides, but when you look at it from a local's perspective it was two groups battling each other, and one group attacking locals. There were even roaming bands of racist shitstains in the city during the evening that jumped people. The media has covered only a fraction of what happened.
Exactly. The whole whole situation was uncalled for, but at the end if the day a Nazi lover from Ohio came to Virginia, and killed a local, and injured several others.... Period. It doesn't matter who else was there. If I got into a huge bar fight, and kill someone, I don't get to hide behind the fact that other people we're fighting too. It's really that simple.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(08-18-2017, 12:43 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: That's pretty much the attitude in the community. Though, given the local, non-violent protesters suffered violence at the hands of the racists and not at the hands of the antifa side, and there wasn't a whole bunch of vandalism or anything, they point the are definitely more inclined to point the finger in one direction.

Ultimately, it IS the Nazi's fault. They may not be the smartest tools in the shed, but they absolutely know the reaction they bring out in people. They were fully prepared to be physically attacked as evidenced by the weaponry they brought with them. As such, unless there's irrefuteable evidence that it was the counterprotesters that started every negative interaction and every physical interation AND the Nazis made every attempt to not return the negativity (yeah, right), ultimately, then, the Nazis are to blame.
(08-18-2017, 12:50 PM)jason Wrote: Exactly. The whole whole situation was uncalled for, but at the end if the day a Nazi lover from Ohio came to Virginia, and killed a local, and injured several others.... Period. It doesn't matter who else was there. If I got into a huge bar fight, and kill someone, I don't get to hide behind the fact that other people we're fighting too. It's really that simple.

Serious question: at one point is the group responsible for the actions of those that claim to be members? Sure, if your group is one that espouses violence, I don't think you can ever deny responsibility. But, what if your group doesn't or at least, most don't but there is a small but significant portion of your group that does? What then? Or maybe your group in the past was violent but is no longer?
(08-18-2017, 01:36 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Serious question: at one point is the group responsible for the actions of those that claim to be members? Sure, if your group is one that espouses violence, I don't think you can ever deny responsibility. But, what if your group doesn't or at least, most don't but there is a small but significant portion of your group that does? What then? Or maybe your group in the past was violent but is no longer?

I'm not sure the group (as vile as it is) is ever responsible. Is this not the land of individualism and liberty. It's the same logic people that don't like Muslims use to vilify an enire religion for the acts of a few. Not every sorry ass white supremacist killed someone on Saturday. Even in a mob, you are responsible for your own actions.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021