Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I The Only One Worried About Our O-Line?
Our offensive line looked like swiss cheese in week 1 against the Jets and looked like they couldn't block anything.

Bodine looked about as effective as I would at blocking in my wheelchair and the right side of our line looked especially weak.

We can't do anything if our line can't block and our season will go in the shitter real quick.

However, the Jets to have one of the better front sevens on defense in the NFL, so was it just that they were that good, or is our offensive line that bad?

I'm worried going into tomorrow just because it's the Steelers so you know that they'll get after Andy and be strong against the run, even if their D isn't the strongest this year.
Reply/Quote
Minus Andre, it's the same group as last year. They'll get it together. But we do need to look at the center position right now.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Our O-line looked O-ful!
Reply/Quote
After watching the Jets/Bills, I am convinced there was serious miscommunication, to say the least. Not sure why. I could understand if the breakdown was 75% with the RT, but don't think that was the case.

I just don't have a good feeling about all of it tomorrow, from the O-Line, to the preferential treatment, and the lopsided penalties I feel coming from officiating.
Reply/Quote
I think every one is worried but hopeful it was a one time thing. If Dalton gets sacked a bunch tomorrow this place will be dominated by O-line/Bodine threads.

Hopefully they play a nearly perfect game.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2016, 10:17 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I think every one is worried but hopeful it was a one time thing. If Dalton gets sacked a bunch tomorrow this place will be dominated by O-line/Bodine threads.

Hopefully they play a nearly perfect game.

HOPE is all we can do.
Reply/Quote
Evidently, the problems against the Jets were "fixable" according to Marvin. We'll see how true that is. I don't want to see these boards go full metal meltdown tomorrow. I don't have much faith in Bodine.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Worrying after one game is an over-reaction considering how well they've played in the past. Andre Smith was good, but losing him isn't automatically going to make this team bad on the o-line.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I have always thought we drafted 2 LTs in Fischer and Ced. We need beef at the RT not finesse. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2016, 11:24 PM)Shady Wrote: Evidently, the problems against the Jets were "fixable" according to Marvin. We'll see how true that is. I don't want to see these boards go full metal meltdown tomorrow. I don't have much faith in Bodine.
Everything is fixable according to Marvin, but I have about as much faith in Marvin in those decisions as I have in me in a jump rope contest.

Maybe he's just trying to keep Bodine's spirits up because he's tried to improve the position but there's been no one in drafts or free agency.  We do need exceptional centers in this division to handle the nose tackles.
(09-17-2016, 11:42 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Worrying after one game is an over-reaction considering how well they've played in the past. Andre Smith was good, but losing him isn't automatically going to make this team bad on the o-line.

I might agree if it were anything else, but the offensive line is where everything starts and it's hard not to see it in black-and-white.

On the other hand, the Jets do have a solid front seven, but we're going to face teams with good front sevens, especially if we want to go anywhere in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
I'm pretty concerned !

I sure hope what ever the sickness was last week, they've found the cure.
Reply/Quote
Bodine gets to face a rookie NT this time instead of a former Steeler that knew his game. And it was Ogbuehis first real start at RT. There will be growing pains for sure. The missed games in the preseason sure didnt help anything. Continuity is supposed to be a big key and it is something we dont have yet.

I think we will see a big improvement from game 1 to 2.

If Bodine doesnt step his game up i dont know why we wouldnt try some different arrangments. Fisher to RG Zeitler to C. Or Westerman at C. Or Fisher at C. Something. Cant hurt giving it a try. I still havent made it all the way through the replay. Watched the 3rd quarter last night and Bodine had some disgusting stuff in there.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2016, 10:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Our O-line looked O-ful!

Your pun is very O-ful...
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2016, 11:42 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Worrying after one game is an over-reaction considering how well they've played in the past. Andre Smith was good, but losing him isn't automatically going to make this team bad on the o-line.

Giving up 7 sacks in one game seems to indicate the o-line has problems ( unless you are paul alexander ). Sick
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 12:27 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm pretty concerned !

I sure hope what ever the sickness was last week, they've found the cure.
[Image: 34091281.jpg]

Sorry.........  had to.

I'm hoping that Ogbuehi just has some growing pains and that he'll settle into the position and improve.

With Bodine, I don't see any improvements in year 3, but who knows, maybe something will click and the Jets were really just that good.  I'm not even asking him to be an All-Pro or anything, just please at least be average.  
(09-18-2016, 12:52 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Bodine gets to face a rookie NT this time instead of a former Steeler that knew his game. And it was Ogbuehis first real start at RT. There will be growing pains for sure. The missed games in the preseason sure didnt help anything. Continuity is supposed to be a big key and it is something we dont have yet.

I think we will see a big improvement from  game 1 to 2.

If Bodine doesnt step his game up i dont know why we wouldnt try some different arrangments. Fisher to RG Zeitler to C. Or Westerman at C. Or Fisher at C. Something. Cant hurt giving it a try. I still havent made it all the way through the replay. Watched the 3rd quarter last night and Bodine had some disgusting stuff in there.

I LOVE the optimism!

I agree, though, because our line play looks to be the only possible downfall on a very promising season.  

I think Westerman at center could be promising, but who knows, and I doubt Marvin or Paul would even try it.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2016, 09:57 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Our offensive line looked like swiss cheese in week 1 against the Jets and looked like they couldn't block anything.

Bodine looked about as effective as I would at blocking in my wheelchair and the right side of our line looked especially weak.

We can't do anything if our line can't block and our season will go in the shitter real quick.

However, the Jets to have one of the better front sevens on defense in the NFL, so was it just that they were that good, or is our offensive line that bad?

I'm worried going into tomorrow just because it's the Steelers so you know that they'll get after Andy and be strong against the run, even if their D isn't the strongest this year.

Nope you are not alone!!  I am worried about a lot of things this year.  Hoping this game will put my mind to ease.  WHO DEY!
Reply/Quote
How many times in football do you see a unit get embarrassed one week and then come out and be dominant the next? What happened to them last week was personal and I don't see any way big whit doesn't make sure his boys are ready to roll today. The Oline will play much much better today, mark it down.

Reply/Quote
I don't think we will see a another performance like last week. I don't remember the O-line playing that badly in back to back games in the Dalton/Green era.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 10:09 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: How many times in football do you see a unit get embarrassed one week and then come out and be dominant the next? What happened to them last week was personal and I don't see any way big whit doesn't make sure his boys are ready to roll today.  The Oline will play much much better today, mark it down.

Yep, I said this after it happened. The Jets are the best front 7 in the league. Our oline is nowhere near as bad as it looked. This week they will be solid.
Reply/Quote
I think this offensive line is good. Great? Nope. But good. My issue is with center. Whit, Boling Zeitler have all been, for the most part, high level performers. Verdict is still out on Ced due to inexperience as well as Fisher. That's not to say they will not have their rough series or games (Zeitler really surprised me with the breakdowns/missed assignments last week) but I have confidence that they will follow such sub-par outings up with a strong answer.

Bodine, at least for me, has been the opposite. Below to far below average play throughout the better part of his career. It seems to be getting worse for him. I know the front they face in week one is one of the best, if not THE best, in the NFL this year but he looked to be not just outplayed but completely over-matched. The issue is that what I saw from Russell last week isn't an anomaly or some outlier one can just chalk up in the "Fluke" category. He needs to step up in every way possible because if your center cannot handle himself you are going to have major, major problems offensively.

We survived last year due to the unit being so strong in experience as well as excellent play-calling. Yet it was more than apparent last year that the center play was the weakest link. Looks like nothing has changed for 2016 (granted we are just one game into this thing). So to sum up, the overall line does not concern me, just the man in between the two guards. The issue needs to be addressed if such repeat performances are in store for Bodine, and if the past is any indication, they will be.
Reply/Quote