Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Am I Unrealistically Excited?!
The answer to the question is NO, you are not unrealistically excited.

Duke Tobin and Co have assembled a Super Bowl-contending roster. You have established high-caliber NFL starters just now entering their prime (Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Wilson, etc). You have a few players that i expect to have major breakout seasons (Murphy, Hill, Ossai, Brown, etc.). You have veteran leadership (Bell, Karras, Hubbard, Cappa, etc). You have a roster full of players who know what it takes to get the job done in the postseason. Most importantly, you have an elite franchise QB.

Super Bowl or bust!!!
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2024, 05:31 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'm usually an optimistic, but realistic, fan of this team.

I'm always hoping and cheering but I've never been this optimistic for the team.

My main reason for such high optimism this season is Joe Burrow, but more specifically the offensive line, because he led us to the Super Bowl and AFC Championship Game with a shitty offensive line, which now rankings have our line in the top ten or top fifteen. Karras might be a weak spot but I'd rather the weak spot be one at center than our tackles where speed rushers can get to Burrow. I'm excited for Cappa and Brown.

Burrow has had injuries, but he appears to be healthy, so won't he rip the league apart?

At running back, we had Mixon and Perine and it wasn't too impressive. Now, we have Moss and Brown, which I've said a lot that I think Brown's underrated and Moss is also better than he's given credit for.

At receiver, we might not be as good, but we still have Chase and Higgins (hopefully), and teams will have to sell-out to stop Chase, especially with the line giving Burrow time to throw, so any receiver will be able to produce with less coverage and a better running game. I've also voiced my optimism about Burton.

Gesicki and Hurst might be a wash, but I like that Gesicki's 6'6 and I think Burrow will look for him a lot in the red zone and on third downs.

On the defensive line, we have Hubbard and Hendrickson at ends, with Sample, Murphy and Ossai backing them up, which is pretty much the same.

At tackle, we did have Reader, Hill, and Carter, and now we have Rankins, Hill, Jenkins, and Carter, so I feel like that's an improvement.

At backer, we're pretty much the same (I think?).

At corner, we had Apple, Awuzie, Hilton, and Flowers, and now we have CTB, Turner, and Hilton, and I think Dax could be taking over the slot position, which I like, so I feel like that's also a wash.

At safety, we had Bell, Bates, Thomas, and Dax, and now we have Bell, Stone, and Battle, so I feel like that's a wash.

The only position I think that we might be weaker is receiver, but Burrow can make anyone look good, especially with Chase out there, and we improved GREATLY on the position group that kept us from winning the title in our first two playoff runs, the offensive line, so am I wrong for being this optimistic?

What am I missing? Why are people in the football world not higher on us?

Nah Brad, you aren't wrong to be this optimistic this year. I actually disagree on WR being worse, Boyd was falling off and dropping balls 
that we needed in the clutch. Jermaine Burton is much more explosive and has fantastic hands, Iosivas I just heard was the player to watch
in OTA's and Charlie Jones should just get better as well if he can stay healthy. 

At RB Zack Moss fits this Offense much better than Mixon did, better in the Shotgun as a pass protector and as a runner and Chase Brown 
could really explode with more snaps. Would I like a better RB behind these two? Of course, but we might be getting this later, we will see.

I think the question is on Defense, namely the young players at DT and in the Secondary how they come along. When we went to the SB we 
had a pretty great DT room with Reader, Ogunjobi, BJ Hill (I think Billings was here). We still have 1 of these guys, but we need Rankins, 
Jenkins and McKinnley Jackson to really step up. Our youth in the Secondary was a big time problem last year and Logan Wilson and Sam 
Hubbard being hurt I think was the topper on us giving up so many big plays and not being able to stop the run. Trey, Sam, Murphy and even
Ossai could be really good at getting to the QB this year as far as the pass rush.

Will Lou get this Defense back to that SB form? I think this is the question. If Burrow and the OL stay healthy our Offense will undoubtably be 
tearing Defenses up this year.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2024, 03:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Ross forgot how to catch the ball after he started getting hit by NFL safeties. 

And, you seem to believe Burton will stay out of trouble off the field. I hope he does, but that is yet to be seen and he fell for that very reason. Boyd was a choirboy.

The problem with John Ross is that he only had one marketable skill coming out of college, that skill being the ability to run fast in a straight line. He didn't "forget" how to catch, after getting busted in the chops by a few NFL Safeties, he got the yips. Marvin Lewis didn't like him, many of us on here forewarned that his frail, little frame wouldn't hold up to the rigors of NFL play. However as usual, that percentage of board members that believe in miracles thought that he would magically transform into an NFL ready body. We all know how the story ends...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2024, 06:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nah Brad, you aren't wrong to be this optimistic this year. I actually disagree on WR being worse, Boyd was falling off and dropping balls 
that we needed in the clutch. Jermaine Burton is much more explosive and has fantastic hands, Iosivas I just heard was the player to watch
in OTA's and Charlie Jones should just get better as well if he can stay healthy. 

The more I have looked at it, I actually agree with the receiver room being better. 

I have been posting my optimism about Burton and have been debating with people all day about it.

I also heard that Iosivas is looking good and that has me excited.

Especially with Burrow throwing them the ball, I think we have a solid group for Burrow to throw to!
Reply/Quote
When you have a healthy Joe Burrow throwing the ball to a healthy Chase and Higgins then this team can compete to win a Super Bowl. We've seen it twice already.

When you don't have that. You're basically the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2024, 05:31 PM)BFritz Wrote: What am I missing? Why are people in the football world not higher on us?

Brad, I am optimistic also, but the AFCN is scary good as is the AFC overall. We came in 4th place in the AFCN albeit with a winning record, so I understand why the pundits and so-called experts are not picking us.

We came out of nowhere to get to and be 1 play away from winning a Super Bowl, let's hope it happens again only as the Lombardi winner this time around. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2024, 12:46 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Brad, I am optimistic also, but the AFCN is scary good as is the AFC overall. We came in 4th place in the AFCN albeit with a winning record, so I understand why the pundits and so-called experts are not picking us.

We came out of nowhere to get to and be 1 play away from winning a Super Bowl, let's hope it happens again only as the Lombardi winner this time around. 
Gotta admit that those 3 teams in our division, embarrassed the division by shitting the bed in the playoffs.... Not that I was rooting for them!
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2024, 12:31 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: The more I have looked at it, I actually agree with the receiver room being better. 

I have been posting my optimism about Burton and have been debating with people all day about it.

I also heard that Iosivas is looking good and that has me excited.

Especially with Burrow throwing them the ball, I think we have a solid group for Burrow to throw to!

The TE room improved big time as well and that should only help the WR room.

Gesicki, McLachlan and All are way more talented than anything Burrow has had at TE in my opinion.

(06-14-2024, 03:14 PM)TCUBengal34 Wrote: When you have a healthy Joe Burrow throwing the ball to a healthy Chase and Higgins then this team can compete to win a Super Bowl. We've seen it twice already.

When you don't have that. You're basically the Steelers.

(06-15-2024, 12:46 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Brad, I am optimistic also, but the AFCN is scary good as is the AFC overall. We came in 4th place in the AFCN albeit with a winning record, so I understand why the pundits and so-called experts are not picking us.

No way the AFC North is as good this year as last year. That was historically the best regular season by a Division ever.

That doesn't happen often. I know on paper the Division looks better but realistically it has to fall off a bit by injuries or by other 
teams getting better etc.

(06-15-2024, 01:52 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Gotta admit that those 3 teams in our division, embarrassed the division by shitting the bed in the playoffs.... Not that I was rooting for them!

No doubt. It was the Ravens or the Browns time, they had the teams to beat anybody and like you said, shit the bed.

Pathetic lol

If we get in their I bet we win at least 1 game. Under Taylor our team has mad fight in them when it matters most even with Browning at QB.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2024, 03:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The TE room improved big time as well and that should only help the WR room.

Gesicki, McLachlan and All are way more talented than anything Burrow has had at TE in my opinion.

No way the AFC North is as good this year as last year. That was historically the best regular season by a Division ever.

That doesn't happen often. I know on paper the Division looks better but realistically it has to fall off a bit by injuries or by other 
teams getting better etc.

No doubt. It was the Ravens or the Browns time, they had the teams to beat anybody and like you said, shit the bed.

Pathetic lol

If we get in their I bet we win at least 1 game. Under Taylor our team has mad fight in them when it matters most even with Browning at QB.

Eh... The Browns were on their 28th QB by the time the playoffs rolled around, and lost their best offensive player early in the season. I give them credit for even getting there. They aren't a real contender though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

The AFCN is always a slug fest and usually always has 2, 3, or sometimes all 4 teams competing, which I still think we're the strongest division this year, but I think we're built for it.

The Steelers will always be good and have a solid foundation, but I think they're sort of in a rebuilding year to getting back to being a contender.

The Browns have a damn good D and should be middle of the league, but the whole Watson situation and, let's face it: they're the Browns. 

Ravens have Lamar and it will be interesting to see if Henry has anything left in the tank because he and Jackson both running could be trouble, but I don't trust them in big games. 
(06-15-2024, 01:52 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Gotta admit that those 3 teams in our division, embarrassed the division by shitting the bed in the playoffs.... Not that I was rooting for them!

Let's hope it continues and the tides are turning because, pre-Burrow, it always seemed like that was our MO!

(Sorry that I'm so late in responding but I typed it out and then fell asleep and then went to the gym!)
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2024, 03:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The TE room improved big time as well and that should only help the WR room.

Exactly and I think that opens the field up so much more with having dangerous threats at the tight end position that Burrow can look to because Burrow is smart enough to recognize mismatches and get the ball to the open guy, especially when he has time to throw, which he'll have a lot more time to throw this year.

I think that's an underrated aspect of this offense.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2024, 05:59 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: The AFCN is always a slug fest and usually always has 2, 3, or sometimes all 4 teams competing, which I still think we're the strongest division this year, but I think we're built for it.

The Steelers will always be good and have a solid foundation, but I think they're sort of in a rebuilding year to getting back to being a contender.

The Browns have a damn good D and should be middle of the league, but the whole Watson situation and, let's face it: they're the Browns. 

Ravens have Lamar and it will be interesting to see if Henry has anything left in the tank because he and Jackson both running could be trouble, but I don't trust them in big games. 

Let's hope it continues and the tides are turning because, pre-Burrow, it always seemed like that was our MO!

(Sorry that I'm so late in responding but I typed it out and then fell asleep and then went to the gym!)

I think Henry still has at least one good year left in him. His stats were pretty strong last year in games where they were playing with a lead (like when they whooped up on us). The problem was they weren't a very good team so they had to abandon the run more than they'd like. Baltimore should be playing with a lot of leads this year. I think that team is gonna be a real problem in the AFC.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2024, 06:37 PM)jason Wrote: I think Henry still has at least one good year left in him. His stats were pretty strong last year in games where they were playing with a lead (like when they whooped up on us). The problem was they weren't a very good team so they had to abandon the run more than they'd like. Baltimore should be playing with a lot of leads this year. I think that team is gonna be a real problem in the AFC.

The Rats also lost a bunch of players including three starting OL, and three starters from defense. And they did not backfill most of this. So there are major question marks on the Rat defense and their offensive line. 
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2024, 08:19 PM)Joelist Wrote: The Rats also lost a bunch of players including three starting OL, and three starters from defense. And they did not backfill most of this. So there are major question marks on the Rat defense and their offensive line. 

They also lost some important coaches that had their players overachieving. 

Losing Clowney also hurts pretty bad, IMCO.

Be tough, as you mentioned, to replace guys like Zeitler. 

Their first five games, including week 5 against us, could put them in a pretty deep hole.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2024, 04:44 PM)jason Wrote: Eh... The Browns were on their 28th QB by the time the playoffs rolled around, and lost their best offensive player early in the season. I give them credit for even getting there. They aren't a real contender though.

They still had the best Defense and Flacco actually played pretty damn good at QB until the Playoffs. They choked.

(06-17-2024, 08:19 PM)Joelist Wrote: The Rats also lost a bunch of players including three starting OL, and three starters from defense. And they did not backfill most of this. So there are major question marks on the Rat defense and their offensive line. 

Yep and losing McDonald their DC could be huge in the Rats Defense not being near as good this year.
Reply/Quote
I have no excitement level. I think Burrow's wrist still has significant injury potential. Until Burrow goes a few seasons without having major medical issues, I'm just kind of in wait and see mode. Joe is one D lineman falling on his wrist or grabbing him by the hand as he tries to escape a sack away from the same injury happening. It's an awful position to be in.

The Bengals & coach Taylor have handled Burrow as badly as a franchise could. Took YEARS getting an O line everyone knew to be league worse to be average and failed to monitor his nagging injuries or impart to him the importance of rest or not pushing through things needlessly. They could have forcefully held him out of activities to allow him to rest.

Only now, all smashed up with major injuries mounting every year, does the thought occur to these idiots to sit the guy down and get him on a pitch count. He's not going to make it 10 years in the league at this point. Hell, he may not see 6 or 7 complete seasons.

The Bengals go how Joe Burrow goes. My excitement level is a 1/10. I've seen the movie Old Yeller enough times to know what happens to the dog in the end.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2024, 08:26 PM)PDub80 Wrote: The Bengals go how Joe Burrow goes. My excitement level is a 1/10. I've seen the movie Old Yeller enough times to know what happens to the dog in the end.

[Image: LwBs0am.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2024, 08:26 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I have no excitement level. I think Burrow's wrist still has significant injury potential. Until Burrow goes a few seasons without having major medical issues, I'm just kind of in wait and see mode. Joe is one D lineman falling on his wrist or grabbing him by the hand as he tries to escape a sack away from the same injury happening. It's an awful position to be in.

The Bengals & coach Taylor have handled Burrow as badly as a franchise could. Took YEARS getting an O line everyone knew to be league worse to be average and failed to monitor his nagging injuries or impart to him the importance of rest or not pushing through things needlessly. They could have forcefully held him out of activities to allow him to rest.

Only now, all smashed up with major injuries mounting every year, does the thought occur to these idiots to sit the guy down and get him on a pitch count. He's not going to make it 10 years in the league at this point. Hell, he may not see 6 or 7 complete seasons.

The Bengals go how Joe Burrow goes. My excitement level is a 1/10. I've seen the movie Old Yeller enough times to know what happens to the dog in the end.

This is just made up because you're salty. After JB's first year we signed Riley Reiff and drafted an Olineman in the 2nd, 4th, and 6th rounds. The next year we bring in Cappa, Karras, and Collins, the year after that we bring in OBJ. The Bengals have invested heavily in the Oline since JB cam into the league. 

As to "pitch count", What other elite NFL QB is on a pitch count? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
You’re not alone.I’m excited about the Bengals chances for a SB ring this year as well.I really like what they did for the OL in bringing in Trent Brown and Amarius Mims.
As a matter of fact,I’m all in on everything they did in the draft and free agency.

Now if Burrow can can just stay healthy,and they can keep him upright,then our chances are good.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2024, 08:26 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I have no excitement level. I think Burrow's wrist still has significant injury potential. Until Burrow goes a few seasons without having major medical issues, I'm just kind of in wait and see mode. Joe is one D lineman falling on his wrist or grabbing him by the hand as he tries to escape a sack away from the same injury happening. It's an awful position to be in.

Not sure I am following you, after Joe messed his wrist, he was shut down for the season? His calf muscle actually got stronger as he played. If we had started Browning at the beginning of the season, we would have been done after week 6. Browning wasn't ready to take the reigns, IMO
Reply/Quote