Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I the only one who thinks
(04-12-2018, 07:12 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I asked this in my mock draft, why do people feel that a tackle has to be tall? Wynn is 6'3", not exactly short..  He doesn't have t-rex arms either.

Then if he can and they put him there id be all for it.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2018, 09:41 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Geno was too short to be a franchise DT.

???

'11: Whitworth, 'dre, Bobbie
'12: Whitworth, Boling, Zeitler, 'dre
'13: Whitworth, Boling, Zeitler, 'dre

Absolutely superb lines.

I stand corrected. Those were some pretty darn good lines.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2018, 08:22 AM)Mer Wrote: I stand corrected. Those were some pretty darn good lines.

Indeed.

Its too bad 'dre couldn't keep it up... '16 could've been an entirely different year and we may have been able to hold onto at least 2 of them...

Oh well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2018, 05:36 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I agree with you, but with a twist.

My Stone cold lead pipe lock Mock Draft will be posted at the end of next week. Be on the look out for it! In the mean time, a little preview....

I think the Bengals take RT Brown Jr and DE Arden Key in the first 2 rounds. They perfectly fit who the Bengals are and what they like.

Brown Jr is a (somehow) BIGGER version of Andre Smith and Arden Key is nearly identical to Dunlap. All the way down to character and work ethic knocks coming out of college.

Now, before we get all crazy about a C in the first 2 rounds, remember that Pat Elflein was the #1 rated center in the draft last year. He lasted into the 3rd round at #70 over all. I think the Bengals make several trades, have no desire to keep all of their draft picks - they don't have room - and will maneuver out of the first (or to the back of it) and higher up in the 3rd and 2nd to be able to get 4 higher mid round, high quality guys. I predict: RT, DE, C, and TE. All by the end of the 3rd.

I see Mike Mcglinchey as a strategic move. He can begin his career at Right Tackle while also being a potential future Left Tackle. Cordy Glenn could later move to Right Tackle as he ages a season or two down the road with McGlinchey as the longer term Left Tackle option.

This versatility has me liking McGlinchey over Orlando Brown who is more of a pure Right Tackle.

I agree with you that Centers could be less valued by other teams and that we may be able to get a solid Center with say our highest 3rd round pick.

I see your prediction of RT, DE, C and TE all by the end of the 3rd round as being quite possible.

In my mind, getting McGlinchey would EXPAND your prediction by making it RT/LT with one pick of McGlinchey due to him being position versatile rather than just getting a RT with Orlando Brown.

I don't care how they get there but the Bengals better NAIL all of this down when it comes to the O-line or the struggles will continue.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2018, 06:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Replace one of the o-linemen with a LB and I think this would be a great plan.

I would be 100% good on the LB concept. I think a premium position player will fall to the Bengals, or they will be able to trade back some and get what they need.

I almost put in there a 5th pick at LB. I totally agree that they need more playmakers there. How many times have we seen a 3rd and 4, 5, 6 go for 5, 6, 7 to a TE or slot receiver? Too many! They need LBs to make those plays.

I'm never one to suggest silly, unrealistic trades, but with the recent trend of draft pick/day trades across the league it seem reasonable to think that the Bengals could move back in the 1st and pick up an extra 2nd and/or 3rd. Or perhaps even more if they package some other picks together on day 2.

The Bengals just won't be able to have, what is it in this draft, 11 draft picks make the squad this season? Do they need 3 7th rounders? or 3 5ths? Couldn't they package some 5ths and their 4th together and sneak up into the back of the 3rd?

I know they need a C for sure, but I think a big time RT is more critical than a high pick C. With the RBs the Bengals have, they have to be able to move people and run the ball. I just don't see Ced or Fischer being able to do the job of "road grader" as the Bengals like their RTs to be able to do. Maybe the new line coach will feel differently, but I doubt it. He seems to favor power and moving people backwards.

This will be an exciting draft that sets up the "window" over the next couple of years. I would LOVE to see a legit QB to develop, like a Mason Rudolph or something in the 4th if the Bengals keep that pick. I just don't see a lot of weaknesses in their starters. I like Andy Dalton, but don't love him long term and into the next "window". They need to keep a strong group of young guys to develop. Dunlap, Geno, Green, Dalton are all in or approaching their 30s and are only going to get more EXPENSIVE to keep in the long run. Keeping older players like that means that all of these draft picks now will be in their primes, but have to go due to money being spent elsewhere.

I love the draft! As a Bengals fan, it's my yearly window of hope and "what ifs". Ha!
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 07:44 PM)phil413 Wrote: Give me a center and tackle in the first 3 rds and revive that thing called competition.  If Westerman has to be the top backup interior OL and Fisher is the swing tackle and sub TE...great.

We will have a new OL coach and an OC starting from the start.  So....past outcomes MIGHT be irrelevant.  Ced O MAY emerge as a solid G...or Westerman.  Fisher may find his role.   Assuming Westerman does not slide to the Center spot, a c will be important.   RT?   Cool MAYBE we have that, maybe not.  i'd be looking for a value pick, a thing where we can get a guy we SEE something in and maybe thought he'd be gone already.

i EXPECT Ross will be VERY good ....assuming he's in good health and is USED.   I like Erickson. He gets open, he makes the catch.  Between Eifort and Kroft, I think TE can be solid. 

Burfict missing the early games? Well..that sucks but he's a damn good LB.  Across the board, we have young guys who  MIGHT turn into something good.  we have a decent number of picks, likely get SOME help even if a rookie usually isn't an instant star.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 06:04 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: We don't need guards?? I thought westerman and Redmond both looked good when they finally got time. We had a good ypc even with Bodine in there and boling at left tackle and no deep threats besides green. All I hear is take Wynn take Hernandez . I'm more worried about right tackle and center. And they will most likely just put Fisher at right tackle again anyway. Which I'm fine with we don't have to have the best o line in the league all of the sudden after the worst lol.

This is a dangerous way of thinking.  I get what you are saying, but how many times have we seen a guy come in and play the last few games of the year and then the coaches think he's a valid starter?

Do I think those guys have some potential?  Sure, but I don't think they are front end starters in the league and if we are serious about improving the line, we need to do it and not look back.  The last thing I want to see is us passing on line help because "we are going to war with what we have."   I can't count how many times that's killed us in the past.

We have glaring holes at RG and C on offense.  We need to add top flight talent through the draft because the front office has shown over and over that they won't pay for those guys on the free market.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2018, 09:35 AM)depthchart Wrote: I see Mike Mcglinchey as a strategic move. He can begin his career at Right Tackle while also being a potential future Left Tackle. Cordy Glenn could later move to Right Tackle as he ages a season or two down the road with McGlinchey as the longer term Left Tackle option.

This versatility has me liking McGlinchey over Orlando Brown who is more of a pure Right Tackle.

I agree with you that Centers could be less valued by other teams and that we may be able to get a solid Center with say our highest 3rd round pick.

I see your prediction of RT, DE, C and TE all by the end of the 3rd round as being quite possible.

In my mind, getting McGlinchey would EXPAND your prediction by making it RT/LT with one pick of McGlinchey due to him being position versatile rather than just getting a RT with Orlando Brown.

I don't care how they get there but the Bengals better NAIL all of this down when it comes to the O-line or the struggles will continue.

I think everyone should put mcglinchey at the top of their board now since I heard that they just had him in for dinner ,this is his 3rd meeting . For the past two years who we met at this exact time of year was drafted ,Ross and Jackson. So I'm going to go ahead and put mcglinchey in all my mocks.and you are dead on about the versatile role.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2018, 03:28 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I think everyone should put mcglinchey at the top of their board now since I heard that they just had him in for dinner ,this is his 3rd meeting . For the past two years who we met at this exact time of year was drafted ,Ross and Jackson. So I'm going to go ahead and put mcglinchey in all my mocks.and you are dead on about the versatile role.

I think if he is there McGlinchey is probably the pick at 21, but a lot of mocks have him going before this.

Would like Ragnow or Wynn just as much anyways. Want Ragnow more than any other player in this Draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2018, 03:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think if he is there McGlinchey is probably the pick at 21, but a lot of mocks have him going before this.

Would like Ragnow or Wynn just as much anyways. Want Ragnow more than any other player in this Draft.
Yeah I'm high on him too if we could trade back and take him I'd be fine with that
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2018, 04:09 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Yeah I'm high on him too if we could trade back and take him I'd be fine with that

That is my ideal scenario. Rock On
Reply/Quote
"I find this lack of stimulus to be truly disappointing, don't you think?
"I try not to, my dear. However, you're young, think all you want!"

Name that movie...

Sorry its the only thing I can think of with the thread title.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2018, 06:37 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Yes I know I loved that o line but we still didn't get past the first round,neither did Dallas ironically.  I do like Wynn like I said but my question is ,is he big enough for right tackle,if not I just don't see guard a big need with the two guys I've grown to like,even lapham was saying how them two moved bodies. They both did good enough for me. Also you got Fisher who also could play guard if you switched him ,just alot of lineman can play guard but not tackle. I also like Connor Williams but would he be a right tackle I'm not seeing it. He's probably a left tackle or guard himself. I picture a right tackle being a big guy like Willie Anderson. That's why I actually like Orlando brown. Nobody can move him in pass protection. I do agree center needs upgraded ,I just heard he was projected to be a center coming to us and if he could play that,that makes a spot for Redmond too.

Maybe I'd be happy just to trade back farther and pick up an extra pick. Then they can draft their center and grab Orlando brown back to back.plus you get an extra pick. The only first rounders I really like Is Ronnie Harrison and Wynn. I like Hernandez but I just don't consider guard that much of a need.

All good points.....agreed.  Maybe you're right, and Piano Man was just stuck in his ways and both of those guys are much better players than the cats they sat behind.  In no way am I saying your thought process is wrong....I'm just a little gunshy due to the small sample size.  I'd like Wynn....versatile, and a baller.  I'd be ok with Brown too, I think, but I'd rather have McGlinchey if he's there.  I agree with you that G isn't nearly as big of a need as C and T.  Of course, Fish could up his game and settle into RT this year too.  I guess that's why I like Wynn.....can play T, but if Fish comes through, he'd be a good G too.  

I recall hearing the same thing about Westerman playing C too.....we just haven't seen him play it yet.  The team was too busy fawning over Bodine to get a look.

The thing is.....the o line was our biggest weakness.  It really handicapped anything we tried to do on offense.  I guess I'm just sick of watching such shitty play up front, I want a ton of insurance. LOL 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2018, 04:58 PM)Wyche Wrote: All good points.....agreed.  Maybe you're right, and Piano Man was just stuck in his ways and both of those guys are much better players than the cats they sat behind.  In no way am I saying your thought process is wrong....I'm just a little gunshy due to the small sample size.  I'd like Wynn....versatile, and a baller.  I'd be ok with Brown too, I think.  I agree with you that G isn't nearly as big of a need as C and T.  Of course, Fish could up his game and settle into RT this year too.  I guess that's why I like Wynn.....can play T, but if Fish comes through, he'd be a good G too.  

I recall hearing the same thing about Westerman playing C too.....we just haven't seen him play it yet.  The team was too busy fawning over Bodine to get a look.

The thing is.....the o line was our biggest weakness.  It really handicapped anything we tried to do on offense.  I guess I'm just sick of watching such shitty play up front, I want a ton of insurance. LOL 

Nice post Wyche. That is why Wynn would be such a great pick, total insurance across the entire O-line.

He can play all the spots.
Reply/Quote
I'd be happy with McGlinchey in Rd 1 and the top Center in Rd 2 - my thinking is we need to finish what we've started with rebuilding the OL. Give this team an effective OL that can actually run and pass block properly (for the first time in years) and all sorts of things become possible.
Reply/Quote
Center is the #1 need by a long shot IMO. That said, I still see guard as a need. The whole line improved down the stretch after the scheme switch, but it wasn't a big enough sample size to make me confident in things staying as-is. Even Ogbuehi looked better down the stretch, but no one wanted that guy lining up at tackle again. At the very least you bring in guys that are good enough to compete for the jobs.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2018, 04:58 PM)Wyche Wrote: All good points.....agreed.  Maybe you're right, and Piano Man was just stuck in his ways and both of those guys are much better players than the cats they sat behind.  In no way am I saying your thought process is wrong....I'm just a little gunshy due to the small sample size.  I'd like Wynn....versatile, and a baller.  I'd be ok with Brown too, I think, but I'd rather have McGlinchey if he's there.  I agree with you that G isn't nearly as big of a need as C and T.  Of course, Fish could up his game and settle into RT this year too.  I guess that's why I like Wynn.....can play T, but if Fish comes through, he'd be a good G too.  

I'm hoping the draft is an o-line bonanza. The more talent we get, the better IMO. Take the weakness and make it a strength.

After all these years of harping about the Ivory Tickler and that pathetic YPC, I can't wait to see what our run game looks like this year. It'll be an early Christmas for me.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2018, 12:13 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Center is the #1 need by a long shot IMO. That said, I still see guard as a need. The whole line improved down the stretch after the scheme switch, but it wasn't a big enough sample size to make me confident in things staying as-is. Even Ogbuehi looked better down the stretch, but no one wanted that guy lining up at tackle again. At the very least you bring in guys that are good enough to compete for the jobs.

Yes sir.  I can see the OPs point, and there's validity to it.  That said, for me, C is the biggest need on the team, and it couldn't hurt to add a guard and tackle to boot.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2018, 07:55 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yes sir.  I can see the OPs point, and there's validity to it.  That said, for me, C is the biggest need on the team, and it couldn't hurt to add a guard and tackle to boot.

C, RT, RG - all are needs. Call them 1A, 1B, and 1C in order of need. But please Mr. Front Office Man - don't get just one then say we have enough on the roster to fill out the dance card. Get ALL 3 and do it right! Of all the drafts in recent memory, this is the one where we can actually set the course for many years to come.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2018, 11:26 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: C, RT, RG - all are needs. Call them 1A, 1B, and 1C in order of need. But please Mr. Front Office Man - don't get just one then say we have enough on the roster to fill out the dance card. Get ALL 3 and do it right! Of all the drafts in recent memory, this is the one where we can actually set the course for many years to come.

Couldn't have a better Draft for our O-line needs honestly.
Reply/Quote