Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I wrong?...
Or does it feel like Dalton is back to forcing throws to AJ Green? I understand that Jones and even Sanu were "proven" receivers whom Dalton had developed chemistry with over a couple of seasons, and I understand that Eifert is out, but it feels like Boyd and Lafell have been almost non-factors so far this season. Say nothing about Hewitt and and Kroft and Burkhead. How many passing touchdowns has Dalton thrown so far this season to a receiver not named Green?

Someone in the Gameday Thread mentioned that our leading receiver these past two weeks has been Bernard. That's sort of troubling. Is it our guys are simply not getting open? I'm not football expert by any stretch of the word. Someone wanna clue me in?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 09:06 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Or does it feel like Dalton is back to forcing throws to AJ Green?  I understand that Jones and even Sanu were "proven" receivers whom Dalton had developed chemistry with over a couple of seasons, and I understand that Eifert is out, but it feels like Boyd and Lafell have been almost non-factors so far this season.  Say nothing about Hewitt and and Kroft and Burkhead.  How many passing touchdowns has Dalton thrown so far this season to a receiver not named Green?  

Someone in the Gameday Thread mentioned that our leading receiver these past two weeks has been Bernard.   That's sort of troubling.  Is it our guys are simply not getting open?  I'm not football expert by any stretch of the word.  Someone wanna clue me in?
Like I said in another post about how well Marvin Jones is doing. Dalton hardly ever throws to anyone but Green.That is Dalton's fault.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully that will change when Tyler gets back.
Reply/Quote
I didn't read the OP, but you aren't wrong.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Seems to me he's thrown plenty of balls Uzomah's way.

Boyd's had several catches when he's been open.

Get open, and Andy will give you the ball. If you're covered, he's going to throw to someone else. The rule applies to everyone but AJ because AJ has proven he can still come down with it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
not necessarily but I do think we are missing Tyler Eifert.......

getting him back will help the offense tremendously...
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Eifert = Dalton's red zone guy.

Enough said.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
Lafell had 91 yards in week 1 and Boyd had a good game in week 2. I don't think you're a 100% wrong but remm we were playing one hell of a defense today.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
No you're not wrong but that is because he only has 2 seconds to get rid of the ball and AJ is the only receiver he has chemistry with at this time because the new guys are new and perhaps not getting open as much. We as fans just have to accept that it may take some time, perhaps a full season, for all of these new parts to gel.

If it all goes wrong we should at least have a easier schedule next year like the Ravens.

Reply/Quote
With a stud like AJ you feed him.

We spread the ball around. But when one of the best is on the team he gets a little more action.
Reply/Quote
Remember spreading the ball around also takes time to do progressions - our blocking has been so bad Andy is getting contacted before he can do so in most cases.
Reply/Quote
There are several reasons why Andy Dalton's only option in 2016 is AJ Green. First, Tyler Eifert isn't available. Next, Mohamed Sanu and Marvin Jones are gone. Third, there is no running game to speak of. Fourth, Brandon LaFell is new, Tyler Boyd is a rookie, and CJ Uzomah can't catch a cold. Finally, the Bengals have been playing from behind far too many times this season and when Cincinnati needs first downs, AJ Green is the only game in town.
Reply/Quote
No simple answer to this.

1. Not much time to go through progressions. He's been sacked 12 times already. Who knows how many pressures and hits.

2. Nobody says Ben is forcing it to Brown when he targets him 20 times per game. Great WRs get fed the ball. I trust Dalton will hit the open WR...assuming guys are actually open and Dalton has time to find the open man. Otherwise, I think he goes to Green by default, as he should.

3. Dalton has 21 TDs in his last 18 games without Eifert. He had 25 TDs in 12 games with him in '15. In short, I think Eifert will help remedy the red-zone woes. This reminds me of the beginning of 2014, when we struggled to punch it in. It really became a theme through that whole year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Doesn't matter how the other receivers are doing. No bearing on whether or not Dalton forces balls when throwing to AJ.

Dalton tends to force balls when he gets desperate. He also tends to throw picks when he gets that way as well.

Dalton tends to get desperate when he's being pressured a lot. And he's been getting pressured a LOT. The D gets them ball in FG range and the O gives up two sacks in a row, then gets penalized. Not really on Dalton, but his reaction to those types of situations in the past has been to get desperate. Look at 2014 or any of his playoff games for examples.

Frankly, though, I'd be getting a little desperate if I were in his shoes right now.

Reply/Quote
Bengals offensive game plan involved sending just two receivers in the pattern, and sometimes three. That's it. They were keeping EVERYONE in to block, or run block, and guess what? They STILL couldn't protect Dalton and they STILL couldn't get much done in the running game (aside from the first drive).

So, it wasn't working. The very limited targets were bracketed. Dalton had no one. And, yet, they stuck with that game plan the entire time. I just don't understand it and it makes me want to vomit, punch Marvin, break something, or all three.

NO ADAPTATION. None. Golf clap, "Let's go!". Go where? Go do the same thing? We look like idiots on a (almost) National stage? Hate this coaching staff. Hue and Zim took our balls with them out of town. Now we have a Lovie Smith, John Fox, Marvin Lewis old school, do nothing strategy. Boring, predictable, and zero adjustments. Get ready for a "we just have to block better, or tackle better" press conference. Dumbass.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 12:47 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 2. Nobody says Ben is forcing it to Brown when he targets him 20 times per game. Great WRs get fed the ball. I trust Dalton will hit the open WR...assuming guys are actually open and Dalton has time to find the open man. Otherwise, I think he goes to Green by default, as he should.

Great point.  And after seeing world-beater AJ, we have seen two games of indifferent AJ.  Just jogging routes, and going through the motions.  I swear this team makes me want to vomit.  
Reply/Quote
Not wrong. Back to forcing throws to Green (whose back to dropping passes), no confidence or faith in any other receivers.

Dalton's lost his swagger. I hate to say it but he's being outplayed and isn't showing the confidence, enthusiasm, and swagger that some of these rookie and no named qb's this season are showing. The offense is being dictated by defenses (check downs to Gio late in games have boosted both stats). and no one is fearful of our "weapons".
2015 seems so long ago.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 09:49 AM)jj22 Wrote: Not wrong. Back to forcing throws to Green (whose back to dropping passes), no confidence or faith in any other receivers.

Dalton's lost his swagger. I hate to say it but he's being outplayed and isn't showing the confidence, enthusiasm, and swagger that some of these rookie and no named qb's this season are showing. The offense is being dictated by defenses (check downs to Gio late in games have boosted both stats). and no one is fearful of our "weapons".  
2015 seems so long ago.

It's early..

They just played 2 of the better D's in the league.... with lots of new blood learning the ropes and Dalton learning the new guys.

If you go by the raw numbers then most of the "elite" QBs have lost their swagger so far this year.

Should revisit this one in about 5 weeks and see where it is.

Some of the rookie QBs will come back to earth as the season goes on.
Simeon's day could have looked a whole lot different had our D not had the stone hands all day yesterday.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 09:49 AM)jj22 Wrote: Not wrong. Back to forcing throws to Green (whose back to dropping passes), no confidence or faith in any other receivers.

2015 seems so long ago.

I might lose a little "swagger" too, if my helmet had been knocked off my head 3 out of 3 games......jus sayin.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 10:31 AM)Wyche Wrote: I might lose a little "swagger" too, if my helmet had been knocked off my head 3 out of 3 games......jus sayin.

Exactly, the guy is getting pummeled week in and week out.  LaFell had almost 100 yards week one, Boyd has gotten catches, and Uzomah has had plenty of chances.  As others have said, it takes time to go through the progressions and Dalton does not have much so far this year.
Reply/Quote