Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazon ditched by "Democratic" firm
A lot to consider in this story. Why is a "Democratic" organization spreading propaganda against a union? Why is the "Democratic" organization spying on employees in support of the union? Also, way to Bail after the bid to kill the union vote failed..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/we-are-deeply-sorry-democratic-firm-drops-amazon-after-helping-its-anti-union-campaign/ar-AAWcyY4?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=e398180b92f74eb88c83879503473b80

Quote:"While there have been factual inaccuracies in recent reports about our work for Amazon, being involved in any way was a mistake. We are deeply sorry, and we have resigned that work," the statement reads.

The decision comes days after reports surfaced that GSG put together anti-union video packages and flyers that were distributed to staff at the JFK8 Staten Island warehouse as well as three other Staten Island facilities. GSG was also allegedly monitoring the social media accounts of Amazon Labor Union organizers. GSG also failed to disclose its work with Amazon on Department of Labor forms, a violation of national labor law.

Amazon named GLG as a partner in the weeks following the JFK8 unionization vote, when the company filed an unfair labor practice charge with the National Labor Review Board and specifically referenced GLG in its filings. The charge was filed to contest the JFK8 election, which Amazon claims had “inappropriate and undue influence” from the NLRB.

GSG has faced a firestorm since the allegations, with union clients like the American Federation of Teachers and a New York chapter of the Service Employees International Union announcing that they would stop working with the group. The Iowa Democratic Party also announced it would cease working with GLG, according to a statement given to More Perfect Union, a pro-union Twitter account.

All of this comes on the heels of the unionization vote at the JFK8 facility earlier this month where votes favored the union 2,654-2,131. The warehouse workers still need to approve a contract to become full union members, but the vote is seen as a huge step forward for the labor movement.

The Daily Dot has reached out to Amazon for comment.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It's almost like for most people/organizations making money is their actual priority and everything else is just a smokescreen for that.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2022, 11:19 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's almost like for most people/organizations making money is their actual priority and everything else is just a smokescreen for that.

But why would a democrat organization, you know the party who claims to be in support of the poor and working class Americans, be against workers unionizing so that they may earn better wages and improved working conditions??  I mean, I was always led to believe that it was the other party who is in favor of corporate greed.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2022, 11:45 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: But why would a democrat organization, you know the party who claims to be in support of the poor and working class Americans, be against workers unionizing so that they may earn better wages and improved working conditions??  I mean, I was always led to believe that it was the other party who is in favor of corporate greed.

You should see the hostility to public sector unions in CA.  Of course, a fair amount of that is linked to the hostility towards law enforcement by many on the far left, but even before 2020 public sector unions have been a frequent boogeyman here in CA.  
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2022, 11:45 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: But why would a democrat organization, you know the party who claims to be in support of the poor and working class Americans, be against workers unionizing so that they may earn better wages and improved working conditions??  I mean, I was always led to believe that it was the other party who is in favor of corporate greed.

Because the Democratic Party isn't actually progressive. I have said it time and time again: they are center, at best on the geopolitical spectrum. Liberalism isn't a progressive ideology. The Overton Window just makes people think they are left-of-center.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2022, 04:46 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Because the Democratic Party isn't actually progressive. I have said it time and time again: they are center, at best on the geopolitical spectrum. Liberalism isn't a progressive ideology. The Overton Window just makes people think they are left-of-center.

Right. There are multiple concrete aspects in policy that I think democratic policies are just flat out better than the republicans, but the mainstream corporate wing of the party is only marginally better with their labor policies (or lack thereof).  

The primaries are just as important as the general election in our first past the post system and I'm hoping the multiple progressive caucuses keep growing this cycle.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2022, 07:24 PM)treee Wrote: The primaries are just as important as the general election in our first past the post system and I'm hoping the multiple progressive caucuses keep growing this cycle.

I could literally not disagree with you more here.  The "progressive" wing of the party is why so many cities are in shit shape.  More of them sounds about as appealing to me as a bunch more MJG's joining Congress on the GOP side.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2022, 07:32 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I could literally not disagree with you more here.  The "progressive" wing of the party is why so many cities are in shit shape.  More of them sounds about as appealing to me as a bunch more MJG's joining Congress on the GOP side.

I just want evidence-based policy. Is that so much to ask for? Let politics guide the agenda you seek, sure, whatever. Just whatever policies you enact, use sound evidence to guide them.

If someone enacts policies I disagree with but are rooted in actual evidence then I have a harder time complaining about them. Yeah, I may want to spend more money on solving homelessness or Medicare-for-all instead of whatever the newest ballistic missile defense system they just announced is, but at least I can't complain about bad governance when it's evidence based.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Citizens United.

Full Stop.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2022, 09:17 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Citizens United.

Full Stop.

That's only one part of the issue. I would go more into it, but I am about to go to bed and I've ranted about this topic plenty of times on this board.

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2022, 07:32 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I could literally not disagree with you more here.  The "progressive" wing of the party is why so many cities are in shit shape.  More of them sounds about as appealing to me as a bunch more MJG's joining Congress on the GOP side.

When anyone other than progressives start pushing for universal healthcare, fully subsidized higher education, and major labor reforms then maybe I'll reconsider. Until then, you're going to see progressives gaining ground in the primaries because they're all desperately needed policies in the US.
Reply/Quote

Here is the problem with what we see happening. There are misguided progressives out there that don't actually understand the policies they are trying to emulate. I'm a big proponent of criminal justice reform, including lighter sentencing and what not. However, I also know that the reason these policies work in other countries is because of many other factors at play. One big one is a culture difference, which is something that would take time. Other than that, though, is that they have policies in other areas that support their criminal justice policies.

For instance, poverty leads to crime. We all know this. It's not news to anyone. We don't have adequate policies to support our citizens. When we let someone out early who committed crimes and then they go right back into a situation that led them down their criminal path to begin with, we can't expect a different result.

There are criminal justice reforms we could look at right now, especially in regards to non-violent offenders. However, we can't expect these policies to truly work until we work on the issues that drive people to criminal activity to begin with. Root cause mitigation. When folks put policies in place without the network of policies needed to support it then the outcomes will be disastrous.

That we have almost five times our proportion of the world's prison population is insanity. That we have more people in prison than China, an authoritarian state with over four times our population, is just mind boggling. Yet here we are.

Reply/Quote