Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
America First=Seccession
(02-21-2023, 02:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I saw that, I just don't see how someone, you or any other moderate, who thinks wokeness and CRT are an issue of urgency would sit idly by and let the party of wokeness and CRT win an election.  It's counter productive.  2024 is going to be an election where the republican ticket likely runs on a strong platform of nationally banning CRT and combating wokeness.

They aren't issues of urgency, but they are becoming part of collective issues building up with a lot of people on the fence. Immigration, college loan forgiveness to name a couple. Again, just my opinion is all based on how a lot of elections in the past unfolded based on the current issues that kept building up per say.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2023, 02:34 PM)Millhouse Wrote: They aren't issues of urgency, but they are becoming part of collective issues building up with a lot of people on the fence. Immigration, college loan forgiveness to name a couple. Again, just my opinion is all based on how a lot of elections in the past unfolded based on the current issues that kept building up per say.

Fair enough, but the more someone like MTG talks about it the less people on the fence should take it into account as an issue, right?  If the strongest anti-woke candidates are the ones championing civil war or the elimination of democracy you'd think the woke-fear would get tossed into the bucket of nonsense she spews.

I'm biased because I'm in rural PA and the people I hear talk about wokeness haven't voted for a democrat since the 70s, if ever.  And I know my own view of this bad-faith culture war on the right is likely leading me to make a 2024 vote for any democrat for the first time in 16 years.  If MTG is all about the wokeness, I ain't. Just seems like anything she obsesses over shouldn't be taken as a mainstream issue. It could influence the election ,though. Wouldn't blow my mind if Trump/MTG take over in 2024.
Reply/Quote
CRT and the right's definition of "wokeness" are fantasies they made up to frighten the masses. Right-wing politicians can't win on policies, mainly because they don't actually have any, so they have to push this cultural agenda. Look up the history, it all came about midway through 2020 when Trump was polling badly behind Biden. More importantly, conservative voting enthusiasm was way down. They had to find a way to gin up the masses. They landed on CRT and "wokeness". And conservatives fell for it hook, line, and sinker. And it was all brought to you by politicians who have been proven to peddle outrageous lies to you magnified by media personalities who lie to protect their ratings. The problem when a party can only run on being outraged is that they have to keep finding more and more to be outraged against in order to get publicity.

Let's see what the new House of Representatives haven't done since they took over
1) no bill to streamline inflation
2) no bill on immigration
3) no bill on crime prevention

Governing has to be more than being outraged. It requires actual ideas. it requires a willingness to engage the other side. And Republicans have demonstrated neither. They call non-MAGA folks..."the enemy"

You don't like the ACA...fine....the US medical system was failing even before the ACA. So what do you propose be done? What is the Republican plan? They have been railing against it since it was signed into law 13 years ago yet THEY STILL HAVE NO PLAN!!!!!!in

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2023, 02:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hilarious

I agree the original statement was funny.  That's why I asked for a definition and clarification.

Thanks for not offering one...I guess.  Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2023, 03:09 PM)pally Wrote: CRT and the right's definition of "wokeness" are fantasies they made up to frighten the masses.  Right-wing politicians can't win on policies, mainly because they don't actually have any, so they have to push this cultural agenda.  Look up the history, it all came about midway through 2020 when Trump was polling badly behind Biden.  More importantly, conservative voting enthusiasm was way down.  They had to find a way to gin up the masses.  They landed on CRT and "wokeness".  And conservatives fell for it hook, line, and sinker.  And it was all brought to you by politicians who have been proven to peddle outrageous lies to you magnified by media personalities who lie to protect their ratings.  The problem when a party can only run on being outraged is that they have to keep finding more and more to be outraged against in order to get publicity.

Let's see what the new House of Representatives haven't done since they took over

Governing has to be more than being outraged.  It requires actual ideas.  it requires a willingness to engage the other side.  And Republicans have demonstrated neither.  They call non-MAGA folks..."the enemy"

You don't like the ACA...fine....the US medical system was failing even before the ACA.  So what do you propose be done?  What is the Republican plan?  They have been railing against it since it was signed into law 13 years ago yet THEY STILL HAVE NO PLAN!!!!!!

I couldn't have better said it myself.  Todays brand of Republicans runs on fearmongering, and they say Government doesn't work,then get elected and prove it. [Image: DYsK0sJVwAAvIqo?format=jpg&name=900x900]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2023, 03:09 PM)pally Wrote: CRT and the right's definition of "wokeness" are fantasies they made up to frighten the masses. Right-wing politicians can't win on policies, mainly because they don't actually have any, so they have to push this cultural agenda. Look up the history, it all came about midway through 2020 when Trump was polling badly behind Biden. More importantly, conservative voting enthusiasm was way down. They had to find a way to gin up the masses. They landed on CRT and "wokeness". And conservatives fell for it hook, line, and sinker. And it was all brought to you by politicians who have been proven to peddle outrageous lies to you magnified by media personalities who lie to protect their ratings. The problem when a party can only run on being outraged is that they have to keep finding more and more to be outraged against in order to get publicity.

Governing has to be more than being outraged. It requires actual ideas. it requires a willingness to engage the other side. And Republicans have demonstrated neither. They call non-MAGA folks..."the enemy"

You don't like the ACA...fine....the US medical system was failing even before the ACA. So what do you propose be done? What is the Republican plan? They have been railing against it since it was signed into law 13 years ago yet THEY STILL HAVE NO PLAN!!!!!!in

They don’t have a plan or they don’t have a plan you like? Big difference.

If I head on over to the Houses website I see all sorts of bills that touch inflation.

They’ve been in session for 6 weeks…some of y’all need to chill with the pitchforks
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2023, 11:22 PM)basballguy Wrote: They don’t have a plan or they don’t have a plan you like?  Big difference.  

If I head on over to the Houses website I see all sorts of bills that touch inflation.  

They’ve been in session for 6 weeks…some of y’all need to chill with the pitchforks

they managed to have time for hearings on Twitter.  These bills should have been ready to go.  They've had 2 years to get them written

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2023, 11:34 PM)pally Wrote: they managed to have time for hearings on Twitter.  These bills should have been ready to go.  They've had 2 years to get them written

They campaigned on inflation, the border, crime, etc...they have offered nothing to "fight it".  

Instead they have a committee to investigate the "weaponization of the government" because irony is dead.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 12:21 AM)GMDino Wrote: They campaigned on inflation, the border, crime, etc...they have offered nothing to "fight it".  

Instead they have a committee to investigate the "weaponization of the government" because irony is dead.

The President and cabinet are responsible to do something about it. They are Dems by the way in case you haven't noticed.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2023, 11:22 PM)basballguy Wrote: They don’t have a plan or they don’t have a plan you like?  Big difference.  

The inflation was caused by all the 10s of $Trillions$ of bailout and PPP loans printed by Trump and the GOP Senate backed by nothing.  Every time Jerome Powell tried to raise interest rates Trump was trying to figure out a way to fire him b/c Trump was obsessed with the stock market going up and up and up, removing all the regulations and allowing company stock buybacks.   Guess what?? All that leads to inflation if not hyperinflation.   Anytime the monetary supply is increased and interest rates are kept low to entice consumer borrowing creating more of a monetary supply, its going to make the buying power of money worth less. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-fed/trump-says-he-can-fire-feds-powell-its-not-that-simple-idUSKCN1TR1SU

Now we're finding out most of those bailouts and PPP-loans didn't go to the American worker nor the hard-working blue-collar union families, but it went to GOP lobbyists special interest groups, companies such as cruise lineners that are domiciled offshore, and the big injection of $7-Trillion into the stockmarket to protect the investor class.  Here's today's GOP for ya, put the screws to the middle-class and make up a term like "wokeism," and blame it all on black and brown folks.   HISTORY LESSON-  The Nazi's used the same tactics blaming the Jews for the record inflation in Europe 100 years ago. 
Then the GOP has the audacity to complain about inflation when they know goddamn well they're the ones who caused it?!?!?! WTF!!  And then have the nerve to call themselves conservatives??!?!  Hilarious Hilarious  

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-federalreserve-mar/federal-reserves-3-trillion-virus-rescue-inflates-market-bubbles-idUSKCN24E13G
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 02:09 AM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: The inflation was caused by all the 10s of $Trillions$ of bailout and PPP loans printed by Trump and the GOP Senate backed by nothing.  Every time Jerome Powell tried to raise interest rates Trump was trying to figure out a way to fire him b/c Trump was obsessed with the stock market.   Guess what?? All that leads to inflation. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-fed/trump-says-he-can-fire-feds-powell-its-not-that-simple-idUSKCN1TR1SU

Now we're finding out most of those bailouts and PPP-loans didn't go to the American worker nor the hard-working blue-collar union families, but it went to GOP lobbyists special interest groups, companies such as cruise lineners that are domiciled offshore, and the big injection of $7-Trillion into the stockmarket to protect the investor class.  Here's today's GOP for ya, put the screws to the middle-class and make up a term like "wokeism," and blame it all on black and brown folks. 
 Then the GOP has the audacity to complain about inflation?!?!?! WTF!!  And then have the nerve to call themselves conservatives??!?!  Hilarious Hilarious  

President Biden is allowing the FED to work independently as it's designed to put in the safeguards to protect us from an overheating economy and its not going to fix itself overnight. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-federalreserve-mar/federal-reserves-3-trillion-virus-rescue-inflates-market-bubbles-idUSKCN24E13G

In the meantime, industries that drive inflation are experiencing record profits. Profits that are being spent on buying back stock. Stock which is then given to company executives in the form of options. Then they up the dividends so that these executives with massive stock options make even more money. All the while, screwing over both their employees and consumers. Out of control greed that makes the rich get richer and more powerful.

As long as they stay in power the MTGs of the MAGA world don’t care that we are heading for an authoritarian government controlled by the oligarchs. America First…yeah right. I just can’t understand the attraction for ordinary people.

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 02:09 AM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: The inflation was caused by all the 10s of $Trillions$ of bailout and PPP loans printed by Trump and the GOP Senate backed by nothing.  Every time Jerome Powell tried to raise interest rates Trump was trying to figure out a way to fire him b/c Trump was obsessed with the stock market going up and up and up, removing all the regulations and allowing company stock buybacks.   Guess what?? All that leads to inflation if not hyperinflation.   Anytime the monetary supply is increased and interest rates are kept low to entice consumer borrowing creating more of a monetary supply, its going to make the buying power of money worth less. 

Now we're finding out most of those bailouts and PPP-loans didn't go to the American worker nor the hard-working blue-collar union families, but it went to GOP lobbyists special interest groups, companies such as cruise lineners that are domiciled offshore, and the big injection of $7-Trillion into the stockmarket to protect the investor class.  Here's today's GOP for ya, put the screws to the middle-class and make up a term like "wokeism," and blame it all on black and brown folks.   HISTORY LESSON-  The Nazi's used the same tactics blaming the Jews for the record inflation in Europe 100 years ago. 
Then the GOP has the audacity to complain about inflation when they know goddamn well they're the ones who caused it?!?!?! WTF!!  And then have the nerve to call themselves conservatives??!?!  Hilarious Hilarious  

You’re new around here but damn man you’re so far off. If you were even half way paying attention to current events during Covid then you would know the GOP pushed back on “aid” resulting from Covid. The GOP is Who swallowed their pride to get a deal across to help Americans.

The Democratic Party is what ****** us. Ask any small business owner that no longer owns a small business due to Covid shutdowns.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 01:39 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: The President and cabinet are responsible to do something about it. They are Dems by the way in case you haven't noticed.

Actually, no. That's not how our government is set up. Inflation is primarily handled by monetary policy which is the purview of the Federal Reserve Board of Governors, a group of three Democrats and three Republicans. It is intentionally set up to be resistant to political pressures (though not from idiocy). The other policy tool for financial issues is fiscal policy, which is the purview of Congress.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 03:14 AM)basballguy Wrote: You’re new around here but damn man you’re so far off.  If you were even half way paying attention to current events during Covid then you would know the GOP pushed back on “aid” resulting from Covid.  The GOP is Who swallowed their pride to get a deal across to help Americans.

The Democratic Party is what ****** us.  Ask any small business owner that no longer owns a small business due to Covid shutdowns.

Covid just sped things up.  Small businesses are heading the way of the caspian tiger since our country is focused on ensuring the billion dollar conglomerates with which mom and pop compete are as untaxed and unburdened as possible. 

If your business went kaput during the lock down you clearly weren't bankrolling what was needed to survive like the big boys.  Working for yourself is a luxury and luxuries aren't luxuries unless most people can't have them.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2023, 02:22 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Bojackorie Taylor-Greene said or tweeted something stupid?

Say it isn't so.

So she's basically calling for the nine poorest states to be even worse off and the top seven richest states to now be on the other side of the negotiating table.

Jenius.

(^^^let's see if he gets the joke this time)

shes a moron that is in perpetual "seeking attention mode" so no need to pay any attention. I  dont think even Trump is stoopid enough to have her as running mate but I still keep hoping he is serving time by then.  
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 10:29 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Covid just sped things up.  Small businesses are heading the way of the caspian tiger since our country is focused on ensuring the billion dollar conglomerates with which mom and pop compete are as untaxed and unburdened as possible. 

If your business went kaput during the lock down you clearly weren't bankrolling what was needed to survive like the big boys.  Working for yourself is a luxury and luxuries aren't luxuries unless most people can't have them.

That’s a bit of a cynical point of view, however the SMB impact is just one aspect.

What about pausing rent payments but not mortgages? What about the ridiculous unemployment benefits where states just printed cash to offset everyone who lost work due to absurd Covid shutdowns.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again:

Inflation is a direct result of piss poor policies by our world leaders during Covid. Not just in the USA but the world.

Shutting down businesses and then printing money to cover ignorant shutdown policies is how we got here.

You can (fairly) fault both parties as it takes both to pass legislation but we all know who was pushing back at the time and who was the loudest proponent of injecting trillions of dollars worldwide into the economy.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 12:10 PM)basballguy Wrote: That’s a bit of a cynical point of view, however the SMB impact is just one aspect.  

What about pausing rent payments but not mortgages?  What about the ridiculous unemployment benefits where states just printed cash to offset everyone who lost work due to absurd Covid shutdowns.  

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again:

Inflation is a direct result of piss poor policies by our world leaders during Covid.  Not just in the USA but the world.  

Shutting down businesses and then printing money to cover ignorant shutdown policies is how we got here.  

You can (fairly) fault both parties as it takes both to pass legislation but we all know who was pushing back at the time and who was the loudest proponent of injecting trillions of dollars worldwide into the economy.

You brought up businesses, and I'm just saying that covid was a small blip on the 40+ year mission we've had as a nation to slant the playing field towards the rich.  There are reasons a lot of regular people who work hard and should in theory be able to survive a shutdown were in financial ruin after a few weeks or months.  But it doesn't matter because we've decided as a nation to just say that anyone who is in financial ruin other than us did so willingly and deserves it.

If republicans actually improved the lives of people they wouldn't need to spend so much time convincing the public that people are poor because they choose to be.

Covid?  Meh, just an accelerant to further emphasize the widening gap between the "haves" and the "have nots" and the fact that so many people are suggesting we run right back to the political party that will continue to do all they can to make sure Wal Mart and Amazon employ all of us, shows we're complicit.

If you had a rough time during covid, that blows.  I have a bunch of student loan debt, sucks to be me.  We both followed the wrong rainbow and now it's time to get up, dust ourselves off, and work for someone who was born into wealth.  Now that's some cynicism. 
Reply/Quote
Among all politicians in the United States, MTG is, by far, the most likely to be a Psy Op.

She's just too perfectly absurd. Like someone wrote her into their anti-conservative fan fiction as the supreme villain who has no desires beyond destruction and misery.

"Cartoonishly evil" is the best possible description of her.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 12:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You brought up businesses, and I'm just saying that covid was a small blip on the 40+ year mission we've had as a nation to slant the playing field towards the rich.  There are reasons a lot of regular people who work hard and should in theory be able to survive a shutdown were in financial ruin after a few weeks or months.  But it doesn't matter because we've decided as a nation to just say that anyone who is in financial ruin other than us did so willingly and deserves it.

If republicans actually improved the lives of people they wouldn't need to spend so much time convincing the public that people are poor because they choose to be.

Covid?  Meh, just an accelerant to further emphasize the widening gap between the "haves" and the "have nots" and the fact that so many people are suggesting we run right back to the political party that will continue to do all they can to make sure Wal Mart and Amazon employ all of us, shows we're complicit.

If you had a rough time during covid, that blows.  I have a bunch of student loan debt, sucks to be me.  We both followed the wrong rainbow and now it's time to get up, dust ourselves off, and work for someone who was born into wealth.  Now that's some cynicism. 

I will fully disclose I’m not equipped to have a discussion of policy progression (or regression) over the last 40 years. I bet that can be it’s own thread.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 01:12 PM)basballguy Wrote: I will fully disclose I’m not equipped to have a discussion of policy progression (or regression) over the last 40 years.  I bet that can be it’s own thread.

I think it's just the way things change.  When I was a kid my mom would drive around town and point at a grocery store and say "That used to be a farm" and now when I'm in town I point at that grocery store and say "That place used to be open."  That's just the way it is.

I'm 41 and if I had kids who had to conceivably be alive for the next 70+ years, I'd be stressed, but I don't so it's all on me and I've lived on oatmeal for dinner before.  So it goes.
Reply/Quote