Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Interesting Parallel
Marvin Lewis' first season as head coach of the Bengals began with three straight losses and ended 8-8.

During that season we also played against the NFC West.

We split the AFC North games winning one game against each of the AFC North rivals, including the game at Pittsburgh.

We also lost at Buffalo that year.

Marvin did it with journeyman QB Jon Kitna who was named the NFL's Comeback Player of the Year.

The team's first pick, Carson Palmer, didn't play a down.

2003's 8-8 record was only the second time a Bengals team had finished with a non-losing record under Mike Brown. The first time was in 1996 when Dave Shula coached the first 7 games and went 1-6 and was replaced by Bruce Coslet, when team finished 7-2.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Congratulations. This thread is more Fred than Fred Tongue

Remember the '96 finish well. An oasis in the desert of the '90s And, unfortunately, just a mirage.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Love this thread. “Bengals Strong!”

Going into Pittsburgh Monday? We Got This. They’ll do it all for the nookie!

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2019, 09:06 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Congratulations.  This thread is more Fred than Fred  Tongue

Remember the '96 finish well.  An oasis in the desert of the '90s  And, unfortunately, just a  mirage.

No need to throw insults.

Reply/Quote
You left out that their first win came against a division opponent that year too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2019, 11:06 PM)jason Wrote: You left out that their first win came against a division opponent that year too.

A division opponent, on the road. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2019, 11:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: A division opponent, on the road. 

Yuuuuup...

All kidding aside; I went to the Baltimore game in 2003. The best seats I'd ever had up til that point... Anyway; Baltimore wasn't that far removed from that 2000 defense, and Jamal Lewis was a beast at that time.

The Bengals were 1-3 or 1-4 or whatever. I didn't expect them to win. I remember my buddy saying we looked flat after the first series or so... Then Kitna hit Chad for a long TD (he did it again later), and the Bengals just rolled them after that.

That season was fun. Low expectations. New coach. A lil winning streak. Beating KC... Even if the Bengals get the Steelers on Monday, and somehow go on a run, it won't be the same as that season.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2019, 11:56 PM)jason Wrote: Yuuuuup...

All kidding aside; I went to the Baltimore game in 2003. The best seats I'd ever had up til that point... Anyway; Baltimore wasn't that far removed from that 2000 defense, and Jamal Lewis was a beast at that time.

The Bengals were 1-3 or 1-4 or whatever. I didn't expect them to win. I remember my buddy saying we looked flat after the first series or so... Then Kitna hit Chad for a long TD (he did it again later), and the Bengals just rolled them after that.

That season was fun. Low expectations. New coach. A lil winning streak. Beating KC... Even if the Bengals get the Steelers on Monday, and somehow go on a run, it won't be the same as that season.

True. Speaking of going to games...the wife wanted to go again this year--my boss got the pass thingy last year and everyone chose a game--so i just got done getting tickets to the Cardinals game. Field level, Bengals side at the 45 yd line. I don't think i've ever sat at field level during a Bengals game and i started going in '83. I couldn't believe how "cheap" they were. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2019, 08:47 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Marvin Lewis' first season as head coach of the Bengals began with three straight losses and ended 8-8.

During that season we also played against the NFC West.

We split the AFC North games winning one game against each of the AFC North rivals, including the game at Pittsburgh.

We also lost at Buffalo that year.

Marvin did it with journeyman QB Jon Kitna who was named the NFL's Comeback Player of the Year.

The team's first pick, Carson Palmer, didn't play a down.

2003's 8-8 record was only the second time a Bengals team had finished with a non-losing record under Mike Brown. The first time was in 1996 when Dave Shula coached the first 7 games and went 1-6 and was replaced by Bruce Coslet, when team finished 7-2.

Back in the thread I started with much of this information, I also pointed out that we were 8-6 after the 0-3 start. Lost the last 2 games, but the possibility of going 10-6 after an 0-3 start was very much real. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote