Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"An attacking mindset"
(02-05-2019, 12:16 PM)jj22 Wrote: Coach speak (don't they all say that). Looks like he's got that part of the job down.

(02-05-2019, 12:17 PM)Au165 Wrote: Yea, this is pretty much what everyone says. No one ever comes in and says "We are going to keep doing the same thing and be marginally better or maybe even worse". It'll be a lot of the actions in the summer that say more.

Doesn't sound anything like Marv's coach speak.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 12:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Doesn't sound anything like Marv's coach speak.

I bet if we listened to his presser when he first got here it was similar. 
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 01:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: I bet if we listened to his presser when he first got here it was similar. 

Maybe, but that was a long time ago.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 12:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Doesn't sound anything like Marv's coach speak.

Actually, yes it does.  

Same "coachspeak" you get all across the league.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 06:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually, yes it does.  

Same "coachspeak" you get all across the league.

When has Marv said anything about thinking outside of the box and having an attacking mindset?
Reply/Quote
Every coordinator since I can recall says the same thing. We are gonna be aggressive. Even our horrible defensive coordinator from last year said the same thing.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 12:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: People always wonder, why is Bill Belichick head and shoulders above any coach ever?

My opinion is he is a great mind who molds a team of football players. He has best QB of all time as well, but he puts guys on the roster who:
1. Love the Game
2. Versatile guys who can play multiple positions so he can use them in different schemes making it harder for the opposing coaches to scheme against his teams.

I hope Zac is aggressive, I hope he brings a nastiness to our defense, not dirty by any means, but goal to punish opposing players when possible with hard and clean hits.

Zac needs to get more football players, and then motivate them, scheme them to put them in a position to won the one on one battles and so forth.

I hope Zac knows how to get what he wants out of his OC and DC (ie. we are playing the stoolers next week, I want you, OC to gives a running game plan to attack their weakened left side and come back to me with your plan tomorrow, and more etc.), if he is the type that let's them do what they want, we are doomed.    With BB, he always has different players and different coordinators and still churns out the victories, only he and TB have remained in the equation, the rest come and go.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 07:15 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Every coordinator since I can recall says the same thing.  We are gonna be aggressive.   Even our horrible defensive coordinator from last year said the same thing.

So, he's lying?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 12:16 PM)jj22 Wrote: Coach speak (don't they all say that). Looks like he's got that part of the job down.

The last time a Bengal coach talked about attacking was Hue in 2015....I don't think Marvin ever talked about that
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 12:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: People always wonder, why is Bill Belichick head and shoulders above any coach ever?

My opinion is he is a great mind who molds a team of football players. He has best QB of all time as well, but he puts guys on the roster who:
1. Love the Game
2. Versatile guys who can play multiple positions so he can use them in different schemes making it harder for the opposing coaches to scheme against his teams.

I hope Zac is aggressive, I hope he brings a nastiness to our defense, not dirty by any means, but goal to punish opposing players when possible with hard and clean hits.

Zac needs to get more football players, and then motivate them, scheme them to put them in a position to won the one on one battles and so forth.

BB is also a historically great gameplanner that can identify and attack weaknesses like no other. Who did the Patriots lose to this year? Generally bad teams, beucase they probably didn't gameplan as hard. But they beat the good teams at a high rate.
Reply/Quote
People want an aggressive defense...but aggressive playcalling can lead to giving up more big plays. Especially with the role changes.

The ideal scenario is to get pressure from 4, 5, 6 guys so you can still have guys back in coverage.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2019, 10:52 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: People want an aggressive defense...but aggressive playcalling can lead to giving up more big plays. Especially with the role changes.

The ideal scenario is to get pressure from 4, 5, 6 guys so you can still have guys back in coverage.

The key to aggressiveness is the timing of it. You can't blitz 6 guys every play just like you can't play ultra soft every play.

On occasion you're going to get burnt with aggressive play. But I would much rather go down swinging than standing there with the bat on my shoulder.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 07:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: When has Marv said anything about thinking outside of the box and having an attacking mindset?

C'mon Nate, "Do your job" and "Run on your own gas" were completely innovative and cutting edge.  No one else in the league was saying things like that, at the time.   LOL

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2019, 10:40 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The last time a Bengal coach talked about attacking was Hue in 2015....I don't think Marvin ever talked about that

Wasn't Teryl Austin screaming about being aggressive, and creating turnovers this time last year?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2019, 12:56 PM)jason Wrote: Wasn't Teryl Austin screaming about being aggressive, and creating turnovers this time last year?

Well, we did get a lot of turnovers..... we just didn't do anything with them.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2019, 12:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: C'mon Nate, "Do your job" and "Run on your own gas" were completely innovative and cutting edge.  No one else in the league was saying things like that, at the time.   LOL

Thats a good thing, have to tackle better, thats just journalistic jargon...
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2019, 06:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thats a good thing, have to tackle better, thats just journalistic jargon...

I wonder if anyone has the entire "Marvin Lewis training camp slogan t-shirt collection"?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2019, 06:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I wonder if anyone has the entire "Marvin Lewis training camp slogan t-shirt collection"?

They really haven't had enough time to put them together.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
So maybe they want to bring back The Pac ?!?

[Image: pac.0.0.0.0.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2019, 12:56 PM)jason Wrote: Wasn't Teryl Austin screaming about being aggressive, and creating turnovers this time last year?

I think Austin definitely spoke of turnovers, but it was more trying to force them, recover, scoop and score, etc.  I sure as hell didn't see an increase in blitzing vs. previous years. 
Reply/Quote