Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An example of a move that brings a Unit of the team to an Elite level - Malik Hooker
I'd take Adams over Hooker.

I'll be bummed if we take any of the Ohio state players in the top 10.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 10:47 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I'd take Adams over Hooker.

I'll be bummed if we take any of the Ohio state players in the top 10.

I am an OSU fan and I agree. I don't think any of them are top 10 talents. Hooker had some splash plays, but he missed some tackles that hurt the Buckeyes at times.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 10:51 AM)Au165 Wrote: I am an OSU fan and I agree. I don't think any of them are top 10 talents. Hooker had some splash plays, but he missed some tackles that hurt the Buckeyes at times.

Didn't Hooker need surgery on both of his hammies as well in order to play football?

Maybe I've confused him with someone else.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 11:03 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Didn't Hooker need surgery on both of his hammies as well in order to play football?

Maybe I've confused him with someone else.

Lattimore is the one with hamstring issues that I know of. Hooker was a hip I think.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 10:39 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: You cant build your team through the draft by replacing good players like our safeties when we have needs at DE and other spots. You want to spend a first round pick on a guy at a position that we have solid players already in place. Same can be said for TE if the team does not plan on re-singing Tyler then draft his replacement other then that we have 3 solid TE no reason to draft a guy unless we plan on carrying 4 TE on the roster.

Agree with this but not sure FO does per drafting two OLmen when the OL was set that year except maybe at Center. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 10:39 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: You cant build your team through the draft by replacing good players like our safeties when we have needs at DE and other spots. You want to spend a first round pick on a guy at a position that we have solid players already in place. Same can be said for TE if the team does not plan on re-singing Tyler then draft his replacement other then that we have 3 solid TE no reason to draft a guy unless we plan on carrying 4 TE on the roster.

Shawn Williams will not just be sitting on the Bench watching games if we do it. He becomes excellent depth at Safety and will see plenty of playing time in various packages including a Nickel Linebacker role.

Say the choice is Derek Barnett or Malik Hooker/Jamal Adams as the Best remaining players available at pick #9.

Is adding Derek Barnett at DE and likely rotating him in with Michael Johnson more Transformative than adding Malik Hooker or Jamal Adams to our secondary group?

The past Giants Super Bowl defensive line was Great and the Seahawks Super Bowl secondary Group was Great.
If our GOAL is to make a Unit Great which player when added to our current Group could get us to that Elite Level?
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 11:35 AM)depthchart Wrote: Shawn Williams will not just be sitting on the Bench watching games if we do it. He becomes excellent depth at Safety and will see plenty of playing time in various packages including a Nickel Linebacker role.

Say the choice is Derek Barnett or Malik Hooker/Jamal Adams as the Best remaining players available at pick #9.

Is adding Derek Barnett at DE and likely rotating him in with Michael Johnson more Transformative than adding Malik Hooker or Jamal Adams to our secondary group?

The past Giants Super Bowl defensive line was Great and the Seahawks Super Bowl secondary Group was Great.
If our GOAL is to make a Unit Great which player when added to our current Group could get us to that Elite Level?

Shawn Williams will be giving up 4 to 5 inch in height and 40 plus pounds if you bring him in at linebacker and expect him to cover tight ends. He is also making starter money so we are not going to let him ride the pine making that much cash for depth.

I don't care for Barnett at the ninth pick he is not an every down player at that spot at 268 pounds he wont hold up against the run. For the number nine pick you don't want a guy only on the field on 3rd down. I like Hooker great ball skills but we are solid at that spot and can use help in other spots. Williams and Iloka started gelling later in the year they will be better next year together.

Taking an offensive line guy at nine is out of the question no worthy guys there. That leaves DE RB LB Burfict the last two years came in out of shape when he got on the field it took 6 games to get him into decent shape. Depending on how much faith our coaches have in Hill to bounce back to his rookie form will decide if we are looking at a 225 plus pound starter or a 200 pound McCaffrey or 206 pound Cook. Between those 3 spots we should be able to get an impact player at 9 depending how the draft unfolds.

There is an outside chance they draft a WR at 9 but that means Core rides the bench we only activate 5 WR on game day.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2017, 12:36 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Shawn Williams will be giving up 4 to 5 inch in height and 40 plus pounds if you bring him in at linebacker and expect him to cover tight ends. He is also making starter money so we are not going to let him ride the pine making that much cash for depth.

I don't care for Barnett at the ninth pick he is not an every down player at that spot at 268 pounds he wont hold up against the run. For the number nine pick you don't want a guy only on the field on 3rd down. I like Hooker great ball skills but we are solid at that spot and can use help in other spots. Williams and Iloka started gelling later in the year they will be better next year together.

Taking an offensive line guy at nine is out of the question no worthy guys there. That leaves DE RB LB Burfict the last two years came in out of shape when he got on the field it took 6 games to get him into decent shape. Depending on how much faith our coaches have in Hill to bounce back to his rookie form will decide if we are looking at a 225 plus pound starter or a 200 pound McCaffrey or 206 pound Cook. Between those 3 spots we should be able to get an impact player at 9 depending how the draft unfolds.

There is an outside chance they draft a WR at 9 but that means Core rides the bench we only activate 5 WR on game day.

It was actually the Bengals Defensive Coordinator that mentioned using Shawn Williams in Nickel Linebacker roles.
Williams is 6 foot tall and many linebackers are 6 foot 1 to 6 foot 2. Williams is used to covering Tight ends and Wide receivers as a Safety. That is the reason he could be used in that role and still strong enough to support in tackling.

I am open to ideas for the first pick and this Safety idea is just one of them that may be more outside the Box.
The Bengals have stayed inside the Box for years with so, so results.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2017, 01:58 PM)depthchart Wrote:  
Here is an example of what I am driving at.

Adding say Safety MALIK HOOKER to the Secondary should make that Unit Elite.
He is 6 foot 2 and 205 pounds with GREAT range, catches everything easily and is being compared to Ed Reed.
Our Defensive Coordinator said that Shawn Williams could play in more Nickel Linebacker packages and William Jackson III with 4.37 speed should be healthy. Our secondary goes from good to Elite and sets us apart from the pack.
It becomes a Ball Hawking, speedier secondary.

Dre, Jackson III, Jones, Dennard, Shaw, Russell,
Iloka and Malik Hooker at Safety with better Safety depth now in Shawn Williams who can also be a pass coverage Nickel linebacker at times.

Whatever the Bengals do needs to set them apart in some way.
Be transforming to an area of the team.

Would not be against that and i believe our Safeties weren't as bad as some on here claimed last year.

But adding a ballhawking Safety with that kind of range would help the Defense immensely and especially George of the Jungle.

Shawn played well as a Nickel LB too, he fits that role very well. Dione Buchanan like.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2017, 12:36 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Shawn Williams will be giving up 4 to 5 inch in height and 40 plus pounds if you bring him in at linebacker and expect him to cover tight ends. He is also making starter money so we are not going to let him ride the pine making that much cash for depth.

This is a very well thought out post that i cannot disagree with either.

There are just so many ways we can go at 9 that i will be happy with.

Getting Fournette, McCaffrey or Cook are also fine with me. Would be making our RB unit an elite unit most likely all
the while providing great insurance in case Gio is never the same or Hill continues to struggle. Pushes them both as
well. This would only help the team as a whole.

But i am not into drafting Foster with his size, problems and the fact he was surrounded with such talent at Bama.

If we go with a Bama player at 9 i hope it is Johnathan Allen as he is another player that would improve our D-line
situation immensely.
Reply/Quote
The OP mentioned examples that bring a position group to "elite" status, not limited to his example of Malik Hooker bringing the Secondary to elite status. I say, Rueben Foster would bring the LB corps to "elite" status. A combo of Minter at Mike, Taze' at Will, and Foster at Sam (for the time being), would be a rather formidable cast to present to opposing offenses.

I said for the time being, with regard to penciling in Foster at Sam, as Burfict is currently established at Will. However, I could see a scenario where Burfict moves to Mike, and Foster plays Will (where I think his future is, in the NFL) and Minter gets pushed out to Sam.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2017, 04:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is a very well thought out post that i cannot disagree with either.

There are just so many ways we can go at 9 that i will be happy with.

Getting Fournette, McCaffrey or Cook are also fine with me. Would be making our RB unit an elite unit most likely all
the while providing great insurance in case Gio is never the same or Hill continues to struggle. Pushes them both as
well. This would only help the team as a whole.

But i am not into drafting Foster with his size, problems and the fact he was surrounded with such talent at Bama.

If we go with a Bama player at 9 i hope it is Johnathan Allen as he is another player that would improve our D-line
situation immensely.
With all the potential 1st-picks swirling around the mock drafts, it is going to be a raucous day in Bengal Land on the first day of the draft. Just glad we won't have to take the heat from the Jungle when the Bengals make their selections-- a thankless job at best. Shocked
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2017, 01:58 PM)depthchart Wrote:  
Here is an example of what I am driving at.

Adding say Safety MALIK HOOKER to the Secondary should make that Unit Elite.
He is 6 foot 2 and 205 pounds with GREAT range, catches everything easily and is being compared to Ed Reed.
Our Defensive Coordinator said that Shawn Williams could play in more Nickel Linebacker packages and William Jackson III with 4.37 speed should be healthy. Our secondary goes from good to Elite and sets us apart from the pack.
It becomes a Ball Hawking, speedier secondary.

Dre, Jackson III, Jones, Dennard, Shaw, Russell,
Iloka and Malik Hooker at Safety with better Safety depth now in Shawn Williams who can also be a pass coverage Nickel linebacker at times.

Whatever the Bengals do needs to set them apart in some way.
Be transforming to an area of the team.

I'd love Hooker, but.......

No way he makes it past the Chargers.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2017, 05:19 PM)Derrick Wrote: With all the potential 1st-picks swirling around the mock drafts, it is going to be a raucous day in Bengal Land on the first day of the draft. Just glad we won't have to take the heat from the Jungle when the Bengals make their selections-- a thankless job at best. Shocked

Eh, doesn't seem to have ever minded MB in the past.

He doesn't seem to give a damn what the fans think.

It will be hard for them to screw up the pick at 9 though.

There really is not a pick i would be against other than QB or Kicker lol
Reply/Quote
I'd totally be ok with drafting Hooker if he's there...however the Bengals have 2 safeties locked up for several years...so I doubt they'd see the need to do it.
Reply/Quote

This may very well be the team's thinking, but using a safety as a nickel linebacker is getting very popular in the league.  People literally talk about how various players would be a good fit for "the Deone Buchannon role" if they are agressive, box safeties who are good against the run but better than linebackers in coverage.  Buchannon is 6'1" 216 lbs, so Shawn Williams at 6'0" and 209 lbs is close enough in size.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 09:23 AM)chocincos Wrote: Adams.
I bet the Bengal's Draft Room will be utter CHAOS with a capital K (a Get Smart ref) with so many options flying around on Day 1 of the 2017 draft. LMAO Cry ThumbsUp Sick Oh well...
Reply/Quote