Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An interesting question for you football guru's....
(11-04-2015, 01:39 PM)McC Wrote: Pray for rain?  lol.  Not the only reason but it sure didn't hurt.

Sure came at the right time but so did MJ's tipped ball...

And so did Adam's interception before in a downpour that he somehow held onto.
Reply/Quote
The biggest thing to slow down the Pats would be to be able to generate a pass rush with our front 4. Brady has an unreal passer rating when blitzed.

IF we were to beat them, you would have to have monster game from Dunlap, Geno and MJ.
Reply/Quote
I think this thread proves one thing that I say quite often.

Almost everyone here agrees on what needs to be done to stop the Patriots. Yet not one NFL team seesm to be able to do it.

So maybe, just maybe, coaching an NFL team is not as easy as many fans think it is. How many times do we see fans saying that our coaches are stupid and if they just did one simple thing (blitz more often, run Hill out of the I-formation, throw to the TEs down the seem, etc) then the Bengals would be so much better.

Clearly the simple answers are not so simple after all.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 01:42 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: That was a defensive masterpiece.  

Yes it was.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Inflate the balls to the max Ninja

On a more serious point, harass the heck out of Brady. He doesn't deal well with being hit, or at least getting strong pressure.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 01:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think this thread proves one thing that I say quite often.

Almost everyone here agrees on what needs to be done to stop the Patriots.  Yet not one NFL team seesm to be able to do it.

So maybe, just maybe, coaching an NFL team is not as easy as many fans think it is.  How many times do we see fans saying that our coaches are stupid and if they just did one simple thing (blitz more often, run Hill out of the I-formation, throw to the TEs down the seem, etc) then the Bengals would be so much better.

Clearly the simple answers are not so simple after all.

The Jets appeared to give them the most fits and they are a lot like the Bengals defensively, strong line and good on the back end.  Maybe, just maybe the stars will align if we get to play them eventually.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 01:10 PM)djs7685 Wrote: He said he had a question for "football gurus".

Not failed lawyers.

Over the top dude
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 01:36 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: You do the exact same thing the Bengals did when they played them at PBS in 2013.

Was just thinking about this.  Brady went up to Zim after the game and congratulated him.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 05:07 PM)3wt Wrote: Over the top dude

Just ignore him.

That is the best way to deal with boys like him.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 01:44 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The biggest thing to slow down the Pats would be to be able to generate a pass rush with our front 4.  Brady has an unreal passer rating when blitzed.

IF we were to beat them, you would have to have monster game from Dunlap, Geno and MJ.

Exactly. The answer isn't blitzing Brady, he will pick you apart. Like you said, its all about front 4 pressure and moving him off his spot. Brady is too smart. You have to show and disguise looks he hasn't seen from you on tape. Everyone knows who the offense runs through, try and contain him.

Best way to deal with the Pats, keep Brady off the field.

Side note- I was going to post something a few weeks ago. Given the success of both teams, NE track record, and the probability of meeting in the playoffs. Do you think the staff is cutting out a few minutes every week and game planning for them in case of that chance meeting?
Reply/Quote
I think there are some great ideas here, but I think the key to slowing down the Patriots is showing different looks on every play. I think a good base d would be a cover 3, also have a man zone and bracket gronk w/ a lb and a safety. You also have to have a few blitz packages, but the problem I have seen this year, limited in watching the patriots, too many teams are selling out on the blitz, and gronk and Brady are picking that apart.
Reply/Quote
Atkins up the middle is big. Forcing guys like Brady and Manning to reset their feet is important.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 12:54 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: You have to have skilled DBs. 
You have to force Brady out of the quick throws. None of the WRs need double teamed, they need jammed and slowed down.
You run bracket coverage on Gronk. 

Force Brady to hold the ball and push it down field. 
Yep physical DBs and a good pass rushwith your front four. 

They live off of quick short to intermediate throws and Gronk down the seam.  Physical DBs will throw the timing of those short throws off then bracket Gronk.  In turn Brady holds the ball a split second longer than he wants and that's when Dunlap, MJ and geno come into play with a good pass rush.

The teams that beat Brady are in his face and at his legs all day. You don't have to boot him every play, just make him uncomfortable. You do that and you MIGHT win. 

Reply/Quote
What ever the Giants did during their superbowls.

Basically pressure and hit him to disrupt their timing.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 12:52 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: So everyone considers Bill Belichick to be the master at finding ways to stop great offenses, generally by taking away their strengths and forcing them to do something different.

So here's the question:  How would Belichick stop his own team?

Note:  I realize this is a Bengal forum but am interested to hear what everyone thinks.  We may very well be presented with this task again in the playoffs and would like to know if you think we'd handle it differently next go around.  As you recall our last 2 games against the Pats were complete opposites, one working well and they other not so well - granted we didn't have Burfict in the last game.

You basically answered the question yourself.  Take away their strengths and force them into something else.

So what is the strength of the Patriots?  Their QB.

How do you stop Brady?  Play man and put pressure on him.  Do not double their WRs, be mindful of their pick plays (illegal, but they do get away with it), and if you are going to double somebody then Gronk is the most dangerous weapon of Brady's options.

The key for me is to play strong disciplined football with great technique.  
Reply/Quote
They seem to run a lot of pick plays. I'd be tempted to disguise a few zones. You need good pass defending linebackers for the underneathe stuff.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 10:08 AM)jgott32 Wrote: "Best way to deal with the Pats, keep Brady off the field."

Agree totally with this....I'm no schematic expert so can't really add anything to previous comments.

Get our running game going  + special teams would help our 'D'.  It would take a team victory the way the Pats are playing.  We are not loaded on every level like the Broncos so I just could not see us shutting Brady down like they did with Rodgers.

Try and win time of possession and field position to give him a long field and a fresh defensive front to face and hope that you get the ball last with a chance to win....jeez, its depressing me even considering the problem. Still thats what coaches are paid for!!
Reply/Quote