Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An optimistic thread
(09-16-2019, 08:11 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Going back 2010 only 2 eventual SB champs didnt have a 2 possession loss on their final resume. 5 of the last 7 champs have had a 3 possession loss. going back to 2007 the eventual champ Pats lost 31 to nothing to the Bills

I will add to the optimism, the Pig is out for the season....
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 12:15 PM)mas_fuerte Wrote: Yes, that's how it works.

No way Zac Taylor comes out of the draft next year without a QB from the 1st or 2nd round. 

Wanna bet?  We'll see.  The needs are much bigger than QB at this point.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 02:11 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: Wanna bet?  We'll see.  The needs are much bigger than QB at this point.

We will see, but I'd say while QB isn't our worst position by far, it's upmost importance may cause a QB to be drafted high. We have a lot of holes but a lot of weapons. A great QB can work around that. Dalton misses a throw here and a throw here that could turn games around or win games routinely
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 02:16 PM)Brimey Wrote: We will see, but I'd say while QB isn't our worst position by far, it's upmost importance may cause a QB to be drafted high. We have a lot of holes but a lot of weapons. A great QB can work around that. Dalton misses a throw here and a throw here that could turn games around or win games routinely

Every QB in the league misses throws.

Every QB needs talent around him.  Over the previous two seasons Aaron Rodgers is 9-12-1 as a starter.

Dalton is not the reason we are losing.  He has a 99.3 rating and is leading the league in passing yards.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 02:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Every QB in the league misses throws.

Every QB needs talent around him.  Over the previous two seasons Aaron Rodgers is 9-12-1 as a starter.

Dalton is not the reason we are losing.  He has a 99.3 rating and is leading the league in passing yards.

This is a fallacious argument. He's on Pace for a league record of passes thrown, he should be leading in passing yards. 

Dalton isn't on Rodgers level so I'm not sure why  you'd even compare them. 

The 99.3 rating means very little to me. Analytics say he's a 20ish QB. QB rating doesn't account for missed throws that should have been TDs, fumbles or bad sacks taken. 

If the team finishes with a top 10 pick, I'd be willing to bet they go QB. Rookie QB contract allows you to blow money on the line and weapons. 

Dalton may not be the reason we are losing but that knife cuts both ways. He's also not the reason we are winning. We shouldn't be satisfied with average. KC took a risk and I can't imagine how exciting it'd be to be a KC fan right now
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 02:39 PM)Brimey Wrote: Dalton isn't on Rodgers level so I'm not sure why  you'd even compare them. 

I did not compare them.  I brought up Rodgers to prove that great QBs can't win without talent around them.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 02:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I did not compare them.  I brought up Rodgers to prove that great QBs can't win without talent around them.
Agreed. But it's a hell of a lot easier to build a Super Bowl team around an elite QB than it is around an average one. The Bengals aren't even close to having that kind of talent. So what's the point of hanging on to Dalton especially when he's near the end of his deal? 
I like Dalton. I think he's an alright QB. Building around him is futile however. 
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 02:39 PM)Brimey Wrote: The 99.3 rating means very little to me. Analytics say he's a 20ish QB.

Pss efficiency rating is "analytics"

(09-17-2019, 02:39 PM)Brimey Wrote:  QB rating doesn't account for missed throws that should have been TDs 

Yes it does.  Incompletions are part of the calculation.

(09-17-2019, 02:39 PM)Brimey Wrote:  QB rating doesn't account for fumbles.

For his career Dalton is among the elite when it comes to lowest fumble%.  These numbers are from after the '17 season,

--Among the 26 QBs with at least 2000 attempts only 3 QBs had a fum% under 1.00 (Ryan, Dalton, Brees).

(09-17-2019, 02:39 PM)Brimey Wrote:  QB rating doesn't account bad sacks taken. 

Despite playing behind a weak O-line last year Dalton's sack rate was top 10 (lowest) at 5.4%.  It was the 4th time in his 8 year career he finished in the top 10.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 02:46 PM)Brimey Wrote:  So what's the point of hanging on to Dalton especially when he's near the end of his deal? 

Because he has proven he can perform with talent around him while the draft is a total crapshoot.
Reply/Quote
Can't even start an optimist/ positive thread without you repetitive, boring MFers invading it...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
This thread is about optimism, but not the kind of optimism that involves us finding a better QB than Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 03:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This thread is about optimism, but not the kind of optimism that involves us finding a better QB than Dalton.

We could have some big armed kid like Herbert throwing bombs to Ross Green and Boyd next year and invest the savings in the OL. I'm not even sure what the risk is? If he stinks we go 4-12 instead of 5-11?  

That fastest way to reboot a franchise is to draft  a franchise QB. I'm ok with AD sticking around a year and helping groom the youngster. AD seems like the perfect guy for that
Reply/Quote
The big positive so far is the passing offense looks good. We can move the ball.

If we're going to be bad, why not throw 40+ times a game?
Reply/Quote
The colts started out 1-5 last year. They then went on to a 9-1 record the next 10 games to finish 10-6. Some crazy things have happened in the NFL. Who knows could be us this year. Slow awful start to a very good late season stretch.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote