Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An update on the Larry Householder situation
My home county sent a letter to the Speaker of the House.

Coshocton County sends letter to Speaker
Reply/Quote
Nearly 20 elected officials from indicted state Rep. Larry Householder’s district seek his ouster
Updated 4:45 PM; Today 2:23 PM

By Andrew J. Tobias, cleveland.com
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Nearly 20 elected officials in state Rep. Larry Householder’s district are seeking the former Ohio House speaker’s ouster, saying his indictment on federal corruption charges is limiting their voice in Columbus.

All three Coshocton County commissioners, County Prosecutor Jason Given, County Auditor Christine Sycks, County Recorder Susan Turner, County Engineer Fred Wachtel, Coshocton Mayor Mark Mills and Coshocton City Council President Cliff Biggers, as well as several county Republican Party committee members, are among those who signed a Monday letter asking House Speaker Bob Cupp to immediately replace Householder. Coshocton County contains the district’s largest city -- Coshocton -- and is one of the two whole counties Householder represents - the other is his hometown Perry County, with parts of Licking County also in his rural southern Ohio district.

The letter notes two of Householder’s associates have pleaded guilty to federal charges, and a pro-Householder political group filed a plea agreement on Friday, admitting it participated in a $61 million bribery scheme that helped Householder become speaker in exchange for his agreement to pass House Bill 6, a nuclear bailout bill.

It also notes that Householder received no committee assignments when the new state legislative session began last month, and said Coshocton County received less funding than other similar rural counties in last year’s state capital budget.

“The United States Constitution guarantees citizens a fair trial and a presumption of innocence until proven guilty. This is a key pillar of our judicial system,” reads the letter. “That said, holding an elective office is not a right, it is a privilege and a sacred trust. The State of Ohio deserves to proceed with the work of the people and it is clear to us that Representative Householder cannot effectively serve the interests of Coshocton County while the criminal charges are ongoing.”

The letter later continues: “Our county cannot afford to be left behind. Rural communities like ours always struggle to compete for resources with larger urban areas. Without a credible voice in the House of Representatives, our county will be left to fall further behind.”

Householder, a Republican, was ousted as Ohio’s House speaker shortly after his arrest last July, but has remained in the legislature, and support has not yet coalesced among the House GOP caucus to remove him. Householder was re-elected in November, although he appeared unopposed on the ballot, with various write-in candidates getting about 29% of the vote.

Prosecutors say Householder and his allies received $61 million in bribes from FirstEnergy and its affiliates in exchange for his passing of House Bill 6, which is supposed to send $1 billion to two Ohio nuclear plants owned by a former FirstEnergy affiliate. The money was spent on political ads and other expenses to help him become House speaker, and then to help pass House Bill 6 and defend it from a repeal effort.

Householder has pleaded not guilty and denied wrongdoing. FirstEnergy hasn’t been officially named or charged in the case, but federal court records make it clear the company is at the center of the federal probe.

Tim Ross, a Coshocton County Republican Party committee member who signed the letter, confirmed he helped circulate it, but declined to comment further, saying it speaks for itself. Mills, the Coshocton mayor who is among those who signed it, in an interview said Householder’s cloudy legal status is holding the area back.

“Really at this point, we’re only represented by one person in the Statehouse, which is not helping us move in a forward direction,” said Mills, a Democrat. “So I do believe innocent until proven guilty. But with that said, an 80-page FBI indictment, if anyone can read is really a tell-tale sign.”

Cupp, a Lima Republican who was chosen to replace Householder, didn’t immediately return a message seeking comment. But he reiterated last week he thinks Householder should resign from office.

“There’s still ongoing discussion in the caucus to find out where they’re at,” Cupp said. “My personal position is clear, but we’ll have to see where it goes from here.”

State Rep. Jeff Crossman, a Parma Democrat, said Wednesday that House Democrats are willing to vote to remove Householder, but the move to do so has to come from Republicans, who make up two-thirds of the House.

“I think there are votes within the GOP caucus to support [removing Householder], but they don’t want to take the first step for some reason,” Crossman said. “Speaker Cupp has the power to do it, and I don’t know why he hasn’t.”
Reply/Quote
Good on the Republicans. They almost have the courage to do the right thing. This whole party over country mentality that has exploded from the party is disgusting. Sounds like their spines are still growing in. But they may be growing. So progress?
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2021, 09:38 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Good on the Republicans. They almost have the courage to do the right thing. This whole party over country mentality that has exploded from the party is disgusting. Sounds like their spines are still growing in. But they may be growing. So progress?
Tim Ross, from the Republican Central Committee here, called for immediate removal, hosted my campaign sign in his yard, and even invited me to speak at the County Republican picnic (although I was running as a Libertarian). We have some good people in Coshocton County.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2021, 10:33 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Tim Ross, from the Republican Central Committee here, called for immediate removal, hosted my campaign sign in his yard, and even invited me to speak at the County Republican picnic (although I was running as a Libertarian). We have some good people in Coshocton County.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk

Small gestures are nice. But I’m looking at the big picture of the party as a whole. I have basically zero respect for anyone participating in the party over country politics that have become rampant.

Like the fact Householder hasn’t been removed. Or the way state parties are voting to censure (I don’t even know what that means) anyone who dares do the right thing when it comes to the attack on our capital.
Reply/Quote