Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Analytics are BS
That wasn't an analytics decision. No amount of analytics would support what Harbuagh did. That was a gut decision. I don't know if it was right or wrong. They lost so It doesn't look good in hind sight but don't blame analytics.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 04:07 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Analytics doesnt tell the whole story. Analytics says its just as easy to get a yard on the first snap of the game or a tight game on 4th and 1 in the 4th quarter. doesnt account for momentum shifts, causes you to chase points. Not playing to your strengths especially since 70 percent of the NFL doesn't have a fullback.

It doesn't account for momentum shifts because they don't have an effect on the game. That's already been studied, and there was no performance increase across the board as far 'momentum' defining plays. I do believe momentum exists, it is a feeling, a confidence, but it doesn't have a measurable impact on the game. Your first point is spot on, though, analytics doesn't tell the whole story. It is simply a tool. 
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 04:21 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: It doesn't account for momentum shifts because they don't have an effect on the game. That's already been studied, and there was no performance increase across the board as far 'momentum' defining plays. I do believe momentum exists, it is a feeling, a confidence, but it doesn't have a measurable impact on the game. Your first point is spot on, though, analytics doesn't tell the whole story. It is simply a tool. 

That fumble by Mixon was a momentum killer.  its not always true bad teams like the Jets Jags Lions and Texans ride momentum to victories. Ravens  were the better team why risk a 49 percent chance to win the game there when you are a minimum of 75 percent in OT you have the best K in football. The Chargers have L's on their season due to over aggressive analytics. I'd argue their record would be the same or better without the aggressive decision making by their coach. Now trailing in the 4th quarter I understand and you D is playing like trash I get it. Their is a fine line to all this and the new school coaches are coaching like its Madden. It's got riverboat Ron fired once and others as well
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 12:42 AM)swilson3828 Wrote: ....as shown by Harbaugh tonight with the Ravens against the Squealers.  Going with analytics possibly cost the Ravens the game and home field advantage in the playoffs.  Common sense says you take the tie and play overtime.  Instead Harbaugh goes for the win based on analytics. Anyone and everyone can say the play was there but it was messed up, that Jackson missed the receiver, but the reality is the attempt failed and it might end up costing the Ravens (and the Bengals) dearly.  Just use common damn sense when deciding the play.  I've seern analytics cause more harm this year than good in both professional and college.

It was the correct decision. If it works out 100% of the time then they wouldn't even need to play the games. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote