Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Analyze our Roster
(09-03-2017, 06:50 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote:  I have lots of respect for you, but I think your 3-13 prediction will look really foolish within 6 weeks of the season. They had a plan by drafting the 2 OT's 2 years ago and getting them ready. You feel they are not ready, I disagree. Zeitler signed a great contract for a good but not great OG so goodbye and great job by FO in my opinion to match that offer.

I think to base a prediction on preseason is not real bright. But we will see if you were right or just pessimistic in the end because they did not do it your way..

You might be right, I could have just been having a negative moment.  But, no one saw 4-12 coming on 2010 either, did they?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 09:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You might be right, I could have just been having a negative moment.  But, no one saw 4-12 coming on 2010 either, did they?

Actually every year someone throws out wild predictions, some over the top great and others a pessimistic look. Rarely are they correct but even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while. But one thing I know, when they are wrong big time they never come back and tell us. But when they hot one right, they pull their arm out of the  socket patting themselves on the back....LOL

Not saying you would do that as you never have.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 06:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, are you thinking that this is a sort of "mini rebuild"?  Because that is what it seems like, to me.  Let's just look at the OL as an isolated example.  They chose to allow arguably their two best OL to go to FA, without signing any suitable replacements, other than the often injured Andre Smith. (take that for what you will)  Then, they draft one sorry guy, in a late round, that was injured most of last season, and then proceed to cut him. 

As of now, this team is a couple of missed blocks away from a 3-13 season.

As I see it, the Bengals are not trying to win in 2017 but rather are trying to rebuild for 2018 and beyond. This is no longer an AFC North smashmouth run-first to control the clock football team on offense. It's a watered down version of the St. Louis Rams from almost two decades ago. The defense is another bend, don't break version of the same old thing. The field goal kicker is about to make fans beg for Mike Nugent to come back.

I'm not happy. I'm not happy at all.

While 3-13 seems a slight but pessimistic, I think it's going to be tough going for the Bengals in 2017 but here's the quandary the team will face after the season:

What about Marvin Lewis? 2017 is the last season on his current contract. If the Bengals miss the playoffs and have a second consecutive losing season, common sense says let him go. However, if the Bengals consider 2017 to be a rebuilding year, then giving Marvin another contract -- or at least an extension -- makes sense organizationally.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 09:10 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: As I see it, the Bengals are not trying to win in 2017 but rather are trying to rebuild for 2018 and beyond.  This is no longer an AFC North smashmouth run-first to control the clock football team on offense.  It's a watered down version of the St. Louis Rams from almost two decades ago.  The defense is another bend, don't break version of the same old thing.  The field goal kicker is about to make fans beg for Mike Nugent to come back.  

I'm not happy.  I'm not happy at all.

While 3-13 seems a slight but pessimistic, I think it's going to be tough going for the Bengals in 2017 but here's the quandary the team will face after the season:

What about Marvin Lewis?  2017 is the last season on his current contract.  If the Bengals miss the playoffs and have a second consecutive losing season, common sense says let him go.  However, if the Bengals consider 2017 to be a rebuilding year, then giving Marvin another contract -- or at least an extension -- makes sense organizationally.

Interesting as Whittworth was a good, not great run blocking OT and I think Ced will surpass him run blocking. Fisher will hopefully do much better than Ced did a year ago. I loved they cut Winston as he looks like he 50 years old, slow and soft.

I see a much better running game with our 3 headed monster of Mixon, Hill and Bernard. As for kickers, Bullock won't last long enough to lose us the 2.5 games Nugent cost us all by himself in 2016.

But, the defense showed me they can be dominant so that is where you and I are far apart.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 07:47 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I see a roster that if anything got faster especially with 2nd and 3rd guys on the depth chart.
I see a healthy offense with Bernard and Eifert return.
Bernard was the only RB for awhile that could make guys miss in space .
Now Mixon can do that and gIve you power between the tackles.
If anything Mixon and Ross can create big plays out of routine plays. AJ and Tyler were about the only 2 that could do that before
I think after awhile Trey Hopkins might be the X factor on offense
Zeitler was good but overpaid by the Browns .and too boot Zeitler had a very average preseason in 2017.
Hopkins IMO is stronger than Zeitler he just needs game experience
Theres alot to get excited about on defense
Young pass rushers that can come in waves. Guys that can have fresh legs in the 4th q.
The lb ers are faster and not slow prodding I.e Rey Karlos.
Vontaze is lighter more explosive
The seconday is now cohesive in its 2nd yr under Coyle.
The combination of health.. coaches having another yr under their belt ....just faster players can only be good for a team that lost 3 of its best playmakers for 18 games in 2016 and a kicker that cost us 3 4 games
Nice, positive post. I agree with your assessment. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 09:36 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: But, the defense showed me they can be dominant so that is where you and I are far apart.

I want to be wrong about this.
Reply/Quote
Two complaints. Overall im happy with the roster.

1. Nickerson would not have been claimed. With two hurt starting safeties we would have been better off keeping Cox over Nickerson.

2. I love Andre. His arm has been in a brace and he hasnt been the most durable as of late. Our backup plan is not the best at T. We need another T.

Just barely missed.. As a complaint. A kicker who doesnt have a clutch bone in his body. The veteran looked flustered after missing his preseason game winning kick..... Game on the line. Dont let bullock kick
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 11:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Misleading statement here.. please explain "for years now".. that would be a few 3 or more)  .. so since they only have been in the league for two years and coming into their third and have yet to play a snap in 3rd season does not fit your statement.. also we knew Cedric was out pretty much all 1st season so last year was his first real year and at a RT.. Fisher has been moved around for 2 years till end of last season so now at RT for good.. 

What you did say accurate is the issues with Eifert and Burfict... how the seasons goes will probably decide it for them.. unless they get a nice cut rate deal

It says center.  He was talking about Bodine, who is up for contract.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 11:56 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: It says center.  He was talking about Bodine, who is up for contract.

thanks.. i deleted it... misread it.. 
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 01:42 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I met Miller at a Bengals radio show Lapham was doing in Fairfield years ago.  I have to say, the guy had small calves and was just small in general for a LB. He looked more like a safety than a LB so not surprised he did not make it in the NFL.

Landon Johnson was a decent, but not great player for us. I will take Lawson, Evans and Nickerson all day long over the 2 in the "04" draft.

IIRC those two barely broke 220 when we drafted them.  Miller might have been under.  Marvin jumped the shark on the little, fast linebackers that year.  
Reply/Quote
I am worried about the defensive line and oline still. Where is the pass rush going to come from.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I think the Bengals will have a 12-4 season. The schedule is too weak, and I like the weapons on offense and I like the defense.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 12:30 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I am worried about the defensive line and oline still. Where is the pass rush going to come from.

Pass rush will come from Dunlap, Geno, Smith, Lawson, Willis and an occasional Burfict blitz. I see our pass rush getting much better in 2017. I agree on the OL, until they prove it every week I will be concerned.

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 12:30 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I am worried about the defensive line and oline still. Where is the pass rush going to come from.

Did you not see that Willis had a sack in every preseason game?
Did you not see Lawson getting a sack and he had at least pressure on nearly every snap he was sent as a pass rusher?
Did you not see Smith living in the other team's backfield every time he was in?
Do you not know who Carlos Dunlap or Geno Atkins is?

I can see some nervousness about the O line. But even they are beginning to assuage our doubts and look serviceable. But I dont see how you can be nervous about our D line. That has been one of our strengths so far this season. And on top of that, we have gotten an infusion of young talent there that gives us that deep rotational ability on the D line that wears other teams out.
Reply/Quote
Easy analysis:

Oline is trash, everyone else is good.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 12:04 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Easy analysis:

More like lazy analysis. The O line has improved throughout the entire preseason and did quite well in the last two games.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 12:10 PM)Beaker Wrote: More like lazy analysis. The O line has improved throughout the entire preseason and did quite well in the last two games.

We'll see when they start playing guys who arent fighting for roster spots.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 12:04 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Easy analysis:

Is it me, or does anyone else get offended when Bengals players (OL in this case) are called garbage? Why is it taken to a personal level using trash (pardon the pun) talk type words.

As for the OL performance, I am worried how good they will be also. Time will tell because they played one of the best DL's and front 7's in football week number 1.

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 12:19 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: We'll see when they start playing guys who arent fighting for roster spots.

You mean like when our starting O line went against TBs #1s and the O had a 15 play drive for a TD? And TBs front 7 are no slouches. Try being a little more positive and seeing what actually happens before writing them off as garbage. Like I said, they have steadily improved all preseason.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 12:22 PM)Beaker Wrote:
You mean like when our starting O line went against TBs #1s and the O had a 15 play drive for a TD
? And TBs front 7 are no slouches. Try being a little more positive and seeing what actually happens before writing them off as garbage. Like I said, they have steadily improved all preseason.

You should've watched the end of the drive.  Andy threw a pick, no TD.

But I'm with you, the oline has held their own.
Reply/Quote