Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Analyzing Team Statistics
These are ranks by Total Yards for Teams. Interesting trends develop:

Offense
Rushing Offense appears to be a big indicator of success in the NFL thru 3 weeks.
Top 5 Teams (with record):
Baltimore (2-1)
Minnesotta (2-1)
Dallas (3-0)
San Francisco (3-0)
Buffalo (3-0)

Bottom 5 Teams (with record):
Jets (0-3)
Steelers (0-3)
Redskins (0-3)
Dolphins (0-3)
Bengals (0-3)

The Ravens rush for an average of 216.7 ypg while the Bengals who are last rush for an average of 42 ypg. 23 Teams rush for 90+ yards per game...with 16 averaging 100+. 5 rush for over 150 ypg.

Passing Yards per Game on Offense:
Top 5
KC (3-0)
New England (3-0)
Cincinnati (0-3)
Dallas (3-0)
LA Chargers (1-2)

Bottom 5
Tenn (1-2)
Chicago (2-1)
Miami (0-3)
Minnesota (2-1)
NY Jets (0-3)

I'd look at scoring offense, but the 5 Teams that score the most points are 5-0. Interestingly, they are all on atleast 1 of the Top 5 lists from above with Baltimore scoring the most at 36.7. (We average 18.0 ppg in case you wonder which is currently 25th.)

Defense
Rushing Defense
Top 5:
New England (3-0)
Philadelphia (1-2)
Baltimore (2-1)
Seattle (2-1)
Chicago (2-1)

Bottom 5:
Pittsburgh (0-3)
Washington (0-3)
Arizona (0-2-1)
Cincinnati (0-3)
Miami (0-3)

New England only allows 36.7 rushing yards per game. Miami allows 208. We have the next to last ranked rushing defense allowing 168.7 ypg.

Passing Defense
Top 5:
New England (3-0)
Carolina (1-2)
Tennessee (1-2)
LA Rams (3-0)
Green Bay (3-0)

Bottom 5:
Miami (0-3)
Philadelphia (1-2)
New Orleans (2-1)
Pittsburgh (0-3)
NY Giants (1-2)

We have the 12th ranked passing defense at 237.7 ypg. The best allows 162.3 and the worst 332.3.
Reply/Quote
Interestingly, the Steelers are a bottom 5 Passing AND Rushing defense. We should be able to put up a lot of points. They also have a Bottom 5 rushing offense. But, they played NE who is pretty statistically great so far atleast.

I think the stats favor us in this game as long as we don't turn it over.
Reply/Quote
I'd also say that you have to be able to either run the ball really well or stop the run really well to win.

We're bad at both.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 10:27 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interestingly, the Steelers are a bottom 5 Passing AND Rushing defense. We should be able to put up a lot of points. They also have a Bottom 5 rushing offense. But, they played NE who is pretty statistically great so far atleast.

Pittsburgh is gonna bring the house against Dalton, jail break blitz at every opportunity ! We have to be able to run the ball, at least decent gains here and there to win. They get us behind the chains again and again...........

And we have to limit the mental mistakes, presnap penalties and of course turnovers.

This game is winnable.....if they can do that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 10:46 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Pittsburgh is gonna bring the house against Dalton, jail break blitz at every opportunity ! We have to be able to run the ball, at least decent gains here and there to win. They get us behind the chains again and again...........

And we have to limit the mental mistakes, presnap penalties and of course turnovers.

This game is winnable.....if they can do that.

And REALLY we should be able to run against them. Although, I'm sure they look at us and think they should stop our run too.

I think it comes down to pressure and turnovers. Which QB handles the pass rush better and turns it over less?

The Steelers did A LOT of short passes with Rudolph last week and only threw deep a couple times.
Reply/Quote
https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/25/bengals-offensive-line-rankings-pff/

Debatable as PFF rankings are, they rank the Oline 31st ahead of Miami. Even with Glenn back at LT.....Jordan, Hopkins, Price in at RG?, Hart or Smith at RT? I am not seeing anything decent or even middle of the road with this group. I don’t think even if Jonah is an all world freak phenomenon it’s going to be a whole lot better next year either.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 01:14 PM)bambino5130 Wrote: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/25/bengals-offensive-line-rankings-pff/

Debatable as PFF rankings are, they rank the Oline 31st ahead of Miami. Even with Glenn back at LT.....Jordan, Hopkins, Price in at RG?, Hart or Smith at RT? I am not seeing anything decent or even middle of the road with this group. I don’t think even if Jonah is an all world freak phenomenon it’s going to be a whole lot better next year either.

Hopkins is a bright spot. Of course, I think he's also a free agent and teams are always looking for centers.
Miller - IF he can keep it up, is playing acceptable for a starter.

Then, the other 3 spots need improved production.

Lets say Jonah plays above average at Tackle. That's a HUGE upgrade over Andre Smith.

Then, you only need a Guard and RT. And maybe Hart does continue to improve.

You might be able to play Glenn at Guard too.

Would that be a great line? No. But the 20th ranked line is better than the 31st ranked one.
Reply/Quote
Well look at me being all positive! People never acknowledge these posts.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 01:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Hopkins is a bright spot. Of course, I think he's also a free agent and teams are always looking for centers.
Miller - IF he can keep it up, is playing acceptable for a starter.

Then, the other 3 spots need improved production.

Lets say Jonah plays above average at Tackle. That's a HUGE upgrade over Andre Smith.

Then, you only need a Guard and RT. And maybe Hart does continue to improve.

You might be able to play Glenn at Guard too.

Would that be a great line? No. But the 20th ranked line is better than the 31st ranked one.

(09-26-2019, 01:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well look at me being all positive! People never acknowledge these posts.

If the Bengals Oline can just get to average or maybe slightly above this would be a whole different team ! 
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 01:31 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: If the Bengals Oline can just get to average or maybe slightly above this would be a whole different team ! 

Yes. One of my concerns is they may actually be average pass protecting, but terrible run blocking. So you still have to change it up, because running is a big indicator of wins as this thread shows.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 10:27 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interestingly, the Steelers are a bottom 5 Passing AND Rushing defense. We should be able to put up a lot of points. They also have a Bottom 5 rushing offense. But, they played NE who is pretty statistically great so far atleast.

The two things i don't like about this matchup are, Pitt's pressure D, ranked 4th and the Bengals inability to get the ball in the endzone in the 2nd half of games. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
This is funny...as Cordy Glenn hasn't played all year:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
We seem to be an underdog:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
Usually winning teams have more rushing yards because they have the lead more in the second half. Despite what some people claim pretty much every NFL team runs the ball more with a lead in the second half.

Of course there are some exceptions like the Seahawks who have built a consistent winner running the ball. The cowboys are a running team but only because they got Zeke.  And the Rams passing game was set up by the run.
Reply/Quote
In other words, if you can't run the ball and can't stop the run, then you're gonna lose.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 02:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Usually winning teams have more rushing yards bevause they have the lead more in the second in tug e second half. Despite what some people claim pretty much every NFL team runs the ball more with a lead in the second half.

Of course there are some exceptions like the Seahawks who have built a consistent winner running the ball. The cowboys are a running team but just because they got zeke. And the rams passing game was set up by the run.

The Vikings are all about running the ball this year, too. Cook has been a workhorse for them.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 10:20 PM)BengalChris Wrote: In other words, if you can't run the ball and can't stop the run, then you're gonna lose.

You nailed it!!!
Reply/Quote