Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Analyzing this video
<script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

I believe this video/play sums up why we have been so bad at running the ball. You can see Bodine get dominated right away off the ball. You can also see the Dolphins were bringing in a linebacker to run blitz. There just weren't enough people to block the amount of Dolphins coming in to tackle Hill.

Strangely enough, Bodine's poor play and the extra run blitzing linebacker isn't why this play failed. The play failed because Jeremy Hill didnt follow his blocker. If Hill would have followed Hewitt he could have actually had a nice gain, instead he jump cuts right into the blitzing linebacker.

Just found this interesting.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I'm with ya

I don't think there's any doubt Hill doesn't have the greatest RB vision there is. I've seen him miss many holes. There's little doubt here he should have followed Hewitt. It appears he seen that hole developing to the right and didn't see the LB coming downhill. I believe Hill has contributed to our running sickness ad libbing and just flat out missing holes. To anxious ?

But I still think more often than not the run blocking on many plays, has been substandard.

As is the case may times in football it's not just one thing or player. On one play it's Hill missing. On the next it's the RG, on the next it's the C, on the next it's the TE and so on. Having said that I still believe Bodine is our weak link.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2016, 10:49 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm with ya

I don't think there's any doubt Hill doesn't have the greatest RB vision there is. I've seen him miss many holes. There's little doubt here he should have followed Hewitt. It appears he seen that hole developing to the right and didn't see the LB coming downhill. I believe Hill has contributed to our running sickness ad libbing and just flat out missing holes. To anxious ?

But I still think more often than not the run blocking on many plays, has been substandard.

As is the case may times in football it's not just one thing or player. On one play it's Hill missing. On the next it's the RG, on the next it's the C, on the next it's the TE and so on. Having said that I still believe Bodine is our weak link.

I agree with you. I don't think our running game sucks because Hill is constantly missing hole, but a combination of things. I do think Hill needs to be held accountable, though. Some people on this board want to point out that our offensive line play is the sole reason for the lack of success in the running game. 

Its a combination of poor play by Hill and poor play by the offensive line. At this point, what is the downside with giving Gio more touches? He is the better back. 
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2016, 10:32 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: <script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

I believe this video/play sums up why we have been so bad at running the ball. You can see Bodine get dominated right away off the ball. You can also see the Dolphins were bringing in a linebacker to run blitz. There just weren't enough people to block the amount of Dolphins coming in to tackle Hill.

Strangely enough, Bodine's poor play and the extra run blitzing linebacker isn't why this play failed. The play failed because Jeremy Hill didnt follow his blocker. If Hill would have followed Hewitt he could have actually had a nice gain, instead he jump cuts right into the blitzing linebacker.

Just found this interesting.

In the first clip, Jeremy was going to follow Hewitt. The problem is that Bodine is pushed into that lane as soon as Hewitt goes by.

In the second clip that was originally posted, it was on Jeremy though. He had an opportunity to bounce it outside and didn't take it.
Reply/Quote
He didn't jump cut because he didn't see the hole, he jump cut so Bodine wouldn't run him over.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2016, 11:08 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: In the first clip, Jeremy was going to follow Hewitt. The problem is that Bodine is pushed into that lane as soon as Hewitt goes by.

In the second clip that was originally posted, it was on Jeremy though. He had an opportunity to bounce it outside and didn't take it.

Here is the second video. It looks like its a combination of Hill not following his blocker and 68 actually whiffing on a block: 

<script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2016, 11:10 AM)michaelsean Wrote: He didn't jump cut because he didn't see the hole, he jump cut so Bodine wouldn't run him over.

Yeah after I continue to watch it, you may be right. The angle of the video is a little tricky. Bodine is just so bad. 

Thats a shame because Hewitt was at the second level. That could have been a huge play. 
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2016, 11:16 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Yeah after I continue to watch it, you may be right. The angle of the video is a little tricky. Bodine is just so bad. 

Thats a shame because Hewitt was at the second level. That could have been a huge play. 

Oh it's a joke.  The guy was moving at about 95% of the speed he would have had nobody been in front of him.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Bodine might be good with gym strength, but he looks weak in terms of field strength. He has his moments, but he gets pushed around pretty consistently. We've been hoping he gets better for three years now, and it hasn't happened. Zeitler's been less of a disappointment, but still a disappointment for a first round pick.

Has anyone heard more on Boling's injury?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2016, 11:10 AM)michaelsean Wrote: He didn't jump cut because he didn't see the hole, he jump cut so Bodine wouldn't run him over.

No doubt about it.  I saw the same thing watching the video.  Bodine got plowed and closed the hole directly behind Hewitt.  Hill saw it and tried to adjust, problem is the LB was unblocked and there was nothing there.

Sometimes the defense just makes a good play, they get paid also.  But Bodine needs to hold up better than that as a professional.  I get Suh is good but that was pathetic.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2016, 11:32 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: No doubt about it.  I saw the same thing watching the video.  Bodine got plowed and closed the hole directly behind Hewitt.  Hill saw it and tried to adjust, problem is the LB was unblocked and there was nothing there.

Sometimes the defense just makes a good play, they get paid also.  But Bodine needs to hold up better than that as a professional.  I get Suh is good but that was pathetic.

Agreed
Reply/Quote
The problem in both those videos, is Hill having to make changes to the designed play while he's still in the backfield. The line isn't even doing a good job of holding the line of scrimmage, let alone moving anybody off the line or out of the way.
Reply/Quote
You can tell that Hill wanted to follow his blocker into the correct hole. The problem was, by the time he got there, Bodine had been pushed over the hole, requiring Hill to jump cut to avoid running into his own piece of garbage blocker.

This has nothing to do with Hill's vision. He may miss holes on occasion, but this isn't one of those occasions. He was forced into the blitzing LB by his center covering up the hole he wanted to take.
Reply/Quote
The excuses for Hill are baffling. I just got thru watching a whole Sunday of football where countless no named running backs, juked, side stepped, spinned, back stepped and all sorts of other moves to gain yards. While I get to watch a guy run into the o lines backs or get shoestring tackled. Baffling.
Reply/Quote
Hill has run very well this year. He has been extremely decisive and hasn't even come close to fumbling. I don't see how he could get blame. Every RB is gonna miss a hole now and then. That o line is HORRIBLE tho.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2016, 12:49 PM)Fresno B Wrote: The excuses for Hill are baffling. I just got thru watching a whole Sunday of football where countless no named running backs, juked, side stepped, spinned, back stepped and all sorts of other moves to gain yards. While I get to watch a guy run into the o lines backs or get shoestring tackled. Baffling.
Any criticism of Hill better have a condemnation of the oline in it or I call bullshit or bias. Theres no possible way in hell you can cristisize Dalton or our running backs without acknowledging how shitty the o line has been. Seems like people just don't like Hill and jump on any reason to shit on him because its not logical to expect him to light the world on fire when the o line sucks
Reply/Quote
Bodine looked line he was blocking for a pass, standing straight up and trying to shove a guy. You're not going to win a block by not having leverage. He tries to block way too high, that's the biggest problem I've seen from him.
Reply/Quote
Hi guys new here. Huge Bengals fan , I even watch the games on replay dissecting each play n player. The problem is Bodine. He is absolutely terrible. Just terrible. Gets pushed around with ease. No idea why he's still starting. His gym strength doesn't match his playing strength.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2016, 01:36 PM)Housh Wrote: Any criticism of Hill better have a condemnation of the oline in it or I call bullshit or bias. Theres no possible way in hell you can cristisize Dalton or our running backs without acknowledging how shitty the o line has been. Seems like people just don't like Hill and jump on any reason to shit on him because its not logical to expect him to light the world on fire when the o line sucks

When Hill runs for 100 yards (which is rare these days) I never hear the o line get the credit, only Hill. When Dalton lights it up its the same thing. When those 2 don't happen, the o line is in for a shit storm on these boards. Its been like that for awhile now.
Reply/Quote
That video still confirms my belief, Marvin is stupid for staying with Bodine. Just like marvins job, the players jobs are always safe. Pathetic
Reply/Quote