Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anarumo
Gotta give some props to him. The defense has vastly improved since getting blown out by the Ravens
Reply/Quote
He seems to have made adjustments and is improving, especially in regards to the pass rush.

I also think Pratt is playing competently as well, and having a competent LB can go a long way.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 07:28 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: He seems to have made adjustments and is improving, especially in regards to the pass rush.

I also think Pratt is playing competently as well, and having a competent LB can go a long way.

Our 3rd round pick does seem to be developing some.  If they were to draft a fast, smart LB to pair with him, we might be able to be speaking of the LB group as a strength by this time next year.  Obviously, guys like Simmons and Murray will likely go in the 1st round, but a guy like Dylan Moses might be the guy with the 33 pick.  I guess it all depends on how well he recovers from the ACL and performs at his Pro Day/Combine, but that 4.46 speed and quick diagnosis of plays would fit really nicely with this team.  We haven't had a guy like that, since Takeo Spikes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It sure seems like there's been some improvement lately. Looking forward to see what happens next week.
Reply/Quote
They played alot of odd fronts(34 defense) today using Sam Hubbard as an DE/OLB. I think getting healthy on the defensive line, Pratt looking solid, and Dennard inside have really helped the defense.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
We played the Jets period. He is still awful. Zac is even worse and our team has about 5-6 good players and that's it. Even the sun shines on a dogs ass some days. I want real gold not pyrite. They are who we thought they were. This was a fluke.
Reply/Quote
They played against the 22nd, 25th and 28th ranked offenses too, that never hurts. They’ve obviously made some improvement but it’s kinda hard to gauge how much right now.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 07:47 PM)Synric Wrote: They played alot of odd fronts(34 defense) today using Sam Hubbard as an DE/OLB. I think getting healthy on the defensive line, Pratt looking solid, and Dennard inside have really helped the defense.

I was going to make a similar point.

I saw Hubbard on one play at MLB and he blitzed. It was creative.

The Jets also helped the team with some key drops and penalties...but the past 3 weeks the defense has atleast looked competent. And the D-Line was actually winning matchups.

Why it takes this team 10 games to figure things out is a question.
Reply/Quote
The D, and players on that side of the ball has improved. That's all we ask for, and the last 4 games will be key to determining if Lou's scheme can work with an offseason, a couple fa's, and draft picks. Can't help who they play.

The Offense is the scheme that worries me most. Regardless of QB, the playbook doesn't seem to be evolving into a clear scheme. ZT just might not have it in him as a modern day creative play designer.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:23 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: They played against the 22nd, 25th and 28th ranked offenses too, that never hurts. They’ve obviously made some improvement but it’s kinda hard to gauge how much right now.

They need to still use free agency to address issues this offseason. IF they think keeping this team together another year will help, they'll be disappointed.

Some big name free agents too in Billings, Wilson, Dennard, Green, and Eifert too. We'll see how that all shakes out.
Reply/Quote
Having Dennard back has helped A TON in run support, especially at the edge.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:36 PM)jj22 Wrote: The D, and players on that side of the ball has improved. That's all we ask for, and the last 4 games will be key to determining if Lou's scheme can work with an offseason, a couple fa's, and draft picks. Can't help who they play.

The Offense is the scheme that worries me most. Regardless of QB, the playbook doesn't seem to be evolving into a clear scheme. ZT just might not have it in him as a modern day creative play designer.

I think we need a new OC no matter what. The dream scenario is Jay Gruden.

As of right now, I'd keep Lou. But, we need to sign free agents.

Free agency is how we'll tell if this management team wants to win.
Reply/Quote
If we played the Ravens or Chiefs it would have been a different story. Sam Darnold is terrible.
Reply/Quote
I notice the defense is playing more man and less zone on pssng plays. Marvin did the same when he took over the defense last year. The personnel this team has in the secondary is for man. Lou is finally learning his people’s strength

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:23 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: They played against the 22nd, 25th and 28th ranked offenses too, that never hurts. They’ve obviously made some improvement but it’s kinda hard to gauge how much right now.

This.

We have played a few really bad offenses, but we have also showed some improvement.  Bad offenses used to look great against us.
Reply/Quote
If absolutely nothing else it was good to see Bell look ridiculous and ineffective and even more satisfying to watch his post game interview. He sounded like he has studying Marvins post loss pressers with "We just have to play better"isms..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
The DL has been playing pretty good lately, and Dennard has been a big help. Pratt is helping too. Hes a good bit better than Brown already. It also helps when the offense generates 1st downs like they did today instead of 3 and outs. The Jets are not a very good offense but they are the same kind of offense we are used to helping have their best game of the season. Good job today.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:49 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: If we played the Ravens or Chiefs it would have been a different story. Sam Darnold is terrible.

I agree to an extent. We’re obviously not on the level of those teams but to get to that level we need to start beating teams like the Jets. Hopefully this starts a trend from bad to average to eventually, one day, good.
Reply/Quote
Let’s see what happens against Baker Mayfield and the Skid Marks in Cleveland this weekend. From what I’ve seen against the Raiders, Steelers, and Jets I have a feeling the Turds are in for a rude awakening. Lou Anarumo has figured this defense thing out.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 12:12 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Let’s see what happens against Baker Mayfield and the Skid Marks in Cleveland this weekend.  From what I’ve seen against the Raiders, Steelers, and Jets I have a feeling the Turds are in for a rude awakening.  Lou Anarumo has figured this defense thing out.

As long as "figuring it out" involves less of B.W. Webb on the field, I'm all for it.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote