Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Anarumo has GOT to go
(09-18-2020, 01:28 AM)Whatever Wrote: Or can we at least get a FS that can actually tackle?  Bates is trash.

(09-18-2020, 01:44 AM)Whatever Wrote: All that is sadly true.  But the Browns had a lot of 5 yard runs turn into big plays because Bates couldn't tackle an 8 year old Pop Warner running back.
He needs to play better than he did tonight but are we seriously forgetting that this guy was flat out awesome last week.
(09-18-2020, 01:48 AM)CincinnatiKid Wrote: If Geno is still our best player on D at this point in his career therein lies the big problem. We haven’t brought on any great taken on Defense in a long time

Yes if a HOF player is the best player on defense then we have a problem. WTF are you smoking.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:44 AM)Whatever Wrote: All that is sadly true.  But the Browns had a lot of 5 yard runs turn into big plays because Bates couldn't tackle an 8 year old Pop Warner running back.

did you mean hunt or chubb? cuz neither of those rb's are "pop-warner" league. i would look more to anarumo. simply b/c we do have better lib's our middle d'line isn't very good but our safeties aren't the issue here.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:36 AM)thompson19osu Wrote: If the Bengals want to show any form of committment to this season Anarumo should be sent packing tomorrow.

And then what?

Install a new scheme at week 3? The team will spend a month trying to adjust to the new scheme, and at that point, the fans will be calling for the head of the new D coordinator.

I'm not saying Lou should be back next season, but this season was never going to be competitive. We have a rookie QB playing behind the worst O-line in the league.... 4 to 6 wins has always been the high-water mark.

Calm down on the let's fire people stuff already.... play the season out, see who improves, get younger guys reps and don't stunt their growth by switching the scheme 2 weeks into a season. That would not be good for our young LBers.

End of the year, you can clean house and get new staff and have an entire off-season to create a new defensive and offensive scheme.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:57 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: And then what?

Install a new scheme at week 3? The team will spend a month trying to adjust to the new scheme, and at that point, the fans will be calling for the head of the new D coordinator.

I'm not saying Lou should be back next season, but this season was never going to be competitive. We have a rookie QB playing behind the worst O-line in the league.... 4 to 6 wins has always been the high-water mark.

Calm down on the let's fire people stuff already.... play the season out, see who improves, get younger guys reps and don't stunt their growth by switching the scheme 2 weeks into a season. That would not be good for our young LBers.

End of the year, you can clean house and get new staff and have an entire off-season to create a new defensive and offensive scheme.
valid points but what would it hurt if the ceiling is 4 to 6 wins with a rookie qb why not throw caution to the wind? what do you have to lose? a couple more games giving you a higher draft pick?
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 02:00 AM)WildCat Wrote: valid points but what would it hurt if the ceiling is 4 to 6 wins with a rookie qb why not throw caution to the wind? what do you have to lose? a couple more games giving you a higher draft pick?

What you have to lose is screwing up the development of your young defense players.

You have how many 1st and 2nd year guys at LB, a 2nd year safety, a few young guys at CB. These guys are learning the NFL, why complicate their lives and say hey, we realize you were starting to feel comfortable with your own assignments, now let's throw you a curve and give you a new defense to learn.

That's not helpful. Cleveland did that crap with head coach after head coach and wasted how many QBs careers? 

Let the season play out, let the defensive guys get experience, especially the young guys, and then at the end of the year you keep the players who developed and give them over to a new coach with a full off-season.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:43 AM)WildCat Wrote: you are a bengals fan. man up. you know what's coming year in and year out. accept the failure of our commander in chief. shit never changes. and it never will. hasn't for nearly 30 years. wrap your head around that, and you'll understand.

With no preseason and a lot of new faces on the team I'm willing to give it a few more games before I lose it. I've been a fan for 40 years, you gotta pace yourself with your disappointment each season or you'll burn out too fast.  Wink
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:54 AM)WildCat Wrote: did you mean hunt or chubb? cuz neither of those rb's are "pop-warner" league. i would look more to anarumo. simply b/c we do have better lib's our middle d'line isn't very good but our safeties aren't the issue here.

Hunt and Chubb are good backs, but I meant it looked like Bates couldn't tackle a Pop Warner RB, because he whiffed every time on those two.  It was sad.

Everyone is inexplicably hyped for our LB's, but it's a veteran journeyman and some young mid round draft picks that we hope will pan out and improve.  I expect issues with rookies and 2nd year players with only a handful of starts, not a guy who's been a starter the last two years.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:27 AM)J24 Wrote: 1.) Short week
2.) Missing the best player on the defense plus his backup.

This Defense played much better to finish the season last year and last week they put us in position to win. We shouldn't over react after one game on a short week.

It’s not just one game. We’ve been absolutely gashed on the ground two games in a row now. After giving Lou DJ Reader that is completely unacceptable.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:28 AM)Whatever Wrote: Or can we at least get a FS that can actually tackle?  Bates is trash.

Trash is pretty extreme. He just looked like a Pro Bowler the game before.

Reply/Quote
Most of the coaching staff has to go (that's blatantly obvious), but who do we replace them with? Face it, we're stuck with this group until the off season or more reasonably, Mike Brown's stubbornness.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 06:10 AM)Older Than You Too Wrote: Most of the coaching staff has to go (that's blatantly obvious), but who do we replace them with? Face it, we're stuck with this group until the off season or more reasonably, Mike Brown's stubbornness.

Give Darrin Simmons a shot at HC, and if he doesn’t work out do everything we can to land Eric Bieniemy this offseason. Idc who coaches the OL or defense at this point. Can’t be much worse.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 06:14 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Give Darrin Simmons a shot at HC, and if he doesn’t work out do everything we can to land Eric Bieniemy this offseason. Idc who coaches the OL or defense at this point. Can’t be much worse.

Bieniemy was the greatest 3rd down back since James Brooks in late 89' (nothing you don't already know). I'm thinking JB doesn't want anything to do with this team. He had multiple offers last season and he passed them up to stay with KC. I have a feeling he's holding out to HC for a team that isn't snake bit with terrible ownership and culture. He lived through the bad days of the frugal Brown era, where jockstraps were Goodwill items and players had to pump their water from Mill Creek.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 06:33 AM)Older Than You Too Wrote: Bieniemy was the greatest 3rd down back since James Brooks in late 89' (nothing you don't already know). I'm thinking JB doesn't want anything to do with this team. He had multiple offers last season and he passed them up to stay with KC. I have a feeling he's holding out to HC for a team that isn't snake bit with terrible ownership and culture. He lived through the bad days of the frugal Brown era, where jockstraps were Goodwill items and players had to pump their water from Mill Creek.

Back the Brinks truck up to his house...

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 06:52 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Back the Brinks truck up to his house...

I will give you respect for the Simmons call up, he's been the "almost" always consistent entity in the organization, from the Lewis era. He actually has ties to the old Ravens' organization, granted it was after their mid 90's heyday.

I mean, it could be better than nothing, but we really don't know if Darrin's curriculum is greater or less than. However, at this point, more is lost in indecision than wrong decision.
Reply/Quote
Jessie Bates played like a man on fire Sunday, and had a horrible game last night. The goal line defense is stout. We're missing Atkins and Dunlap. I'll give him a few more games.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:20 AM)Nati#1 Wrote: This guy is awful. Does he have some kind of blackmail on ZT or what?? Get this guy out of here! He's had like 3 games the past 2 season where the defense had a halfway decent performance. Thats not gonna cut it. Its time for his sorry ass to go. This is unreal. He should have been fired after the season last year. This is a no brainer. Pathetic performance once again. Terrible gameplan. If we could have stopped the Browns on just two of there drives we might have won the game. That was flat out embarrassing by Anarumo. Fire him now so we can give ourselves some hope for the rest of the season PLEASE.

Even before Anarumo, we always hear all this hype about the defensive line.  Lawson is unblockable.  He "wins" at such a high rate.  Hubbard is going to be TJ Watt.  Dunlap is a beast.  None if it appears to be remotely true.  Going against a weak offensive line, they were gashed all night.  Massive holes in the line and little to no pressure on Baker from the first snap.  

You could say the Browns had a better offensive game plan (and you would be right) but the execution of the defensive line was pathetic.  No big contracts coming for those guys.  Dunlap looked completely disinterested in being there.  His face just looked bored.  Sad.  You would think seeing their QB get the shit beat out of him and keep coming back for more might have been inspiring.  Nothing.  Just paycheck players.  
Reply/Quote
I’m always one for giving a guy a few seasons to see what he can do and I hate it when fans overreact. That said I 100% agree on this one. This defense is so historically bad that he needs to go. We don’t have top 15 talent on defense, but there is no excuse for any defense to be this bad.

I’ll also add in that Lou was definitely not the number one choice when he was hired. Felt like a panic hire at the time. Hopefully they remember that and move on ASAP. He’s clearly in way over his head
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 08:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Jessie Bates played like a man on fire Sunday, and had a horrible game last night. The goal line defense is stout. We're missing Atkins and Dunlap. I'll give him a few more games.

Dunlap might have seemed like he wasn’t playing, but sadly he was.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 08:44 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I’m always one for giving a guy a few seasons to see what he can do and I hate it when fans overreact. That said I 100% agree on this one. This defense is so historically bad that he needs to go. We don’t have top 15 talent on defense, but there is no excuse for any defense to be this bad.

I’ll also add in that Lou was definitely not the number one choice when he was hired. Felt like a panic hire at the time. Hopefully they remember that and move on ASAP. He’s clearly in way over his head

#1 choice? Wasn’t he like the 7th? I can see why.

Meanwhile Del Rio’s defense looked unstoppable week 1.

Reply/Quote
The D does good when we have a full offseason to prep for a game, but after that it’s all downhill lol.

Our old vets look like old washed up vets and our rookies look like rookies.

They haven’t ruined Covington yet. He played pretty well!
Reply/Quote