Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anarumo should be fired after this season, as well as Turner
If this team decides to stick with Opie as the head coach, the team needs to at least fire both Jim Turner and Lou Anarumo and find an established defensive coordinator and an established offensive line coach and bring in an offensive coordinator.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 11:38 AM)Trademark Wrote: If this team decides to stick with Opie as the head coach, the team needs to at least fire both Jim Turner and Lou Anarumo and find an established defensive coordinator and an established offensive line coach and bring in an offensive coordinator.

Maybe part of the problem is the revolving door of coaches of late.. This is a new staff and it has a head coach.. Taylor should make his decisions.. if he believes in his coaching staff.. give them another year with some what they have on the team and what they bring in... If Taylor believes he needs to make changes ok.  I would say of the two Turner should stay over Lou just because the hand dealt to him at line was WOW.. 

1st round pick out for year, best Guard retires, LT who has performed in his career decides to bag it... team did not upgrade much in FA.. and actually the line improved the last 5 games....
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
For how much gruff Turner has gotten he does have the line performing above their grade IMO. Mixon had a horrible first half but with some adjustments has turned it on and has been a leading rusher in the league over the past 6 weeks leading up to Miami.

Anarumo on the other hand gave up 35 to the hapless Dolphins. Let’s not forget he was Taylor’s 6th choice or so. I think Turner stays and Anarumo will be gone. Time will tell.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 11:49 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Maybe part of the problem is the revolving door of coaches of late.. This is a new staff and it has a head coach.. Taylor should make his decisions.. if he believes in his coaching staff.. give them another year with some what they have on the team and what they bring in... If Taylor believes he needs to make changes ok.  I would say of the two Turner should stay over Lou just because the hand dealt to him at line was WOW.. 

1st round pick out for year, best Guard retires, LT who has performed in his career decides to bag it... team did not upgrade much in FA.. and actually the line improved the last 5 games....

Taylor is a huge part of the problem. He's way the hell in over his head. This is why you shouldn't get a HC from a QB Coach who had almost no OC experience whatsoever, and all of it bad.

But sure, rely on the terrible coach who hired nothing but his buddies on his coaching staff to make the call if he should fire his buddies or not. I am sure that will turn into success.   Ninja

The reason the Bengals OL has been better the last 5 games? 1. It couldn't have gotten worse.  2. They played a much easier stretch of schedule. Dolphins (losers), Browns (losers), Jets (losers), Steelers (literally only winners because the Bengals are losers)... and still managed to score only 19.8 points per game the last 5 games despite a 35 point showing against the Dolphins (previous 4 games before Dolphins were 16 points per game,  which is actually WORSE than their last place season average of 16.4). Even if we only look at the "improved" last 5 weeks with the Dolphins game added, the Bengals would still be the 25th scoring offense at 19.8 points per game. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Most, if not all of the team's management are clearly in over their heads so Zac just joins the group.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 12:17 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Most, if not all of the team's management are clearly in over their heads so Zac just joins the group.

As an OC hes terrible...and he was hired for his offensive mind.

He seems to do nothing at a high level other than tell the media that the players havent quit.

We just lost to a tanking, injury depleted Dolphins team. We may be one of the worst 3 teams of the last decade.

Literally the 0-16 Browns might be able to beat us.
Reply/Quote
Truth is these coaches inherited a team way worse than its record last season. Our defense was bad this year, but it was historically bad last year, and although we did show some improvement when Marvin took over as DC, it was about the equivalent to the improvement we saw when Preston Brown stepped down and Dennard came back this year. We cant be a legit D without NFL caliber LBs. We need a couple other pieces as well, but we had the worst LB core in all of football the last few years plain and simple. Coaching cant fix players who just dont have what it takes to play on this level.

I agree about Turner as well/ His unit was terrible from a talent standpoint but he figured out how to improve them and get the run game working.

To be honest the coach who impressed me the least was Zac himself. I want to be behind him and want him to succeed and he still can, but a big part of me think hes in over his head and will be gone at the end of next season. I hope he proves me wrong and all of the doubters, but man he just doesnt seem like he has as clue.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 12:34 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Truth is these coaches inherited a team way worse than its record last season. Our defense was bad this year, but it was historically bad last year, and although we did show some improvement when Marvin took over as DC, it was about the equivalent to the improvement we saw when Preston Brown stepped down and Dennard came back this year. We cant be a legit D without NFL caliber LBs. We need a couple other pieces as well, but we had the worst LB core in all of football the last few years plain and simple. Coaching cant fix players who just dont have what it takes to play on this level.

I agree about Turner as well/ His unit was terrible from a talent standpoint but he figured out how to improve them and get the run game working.

To be honest the coach who impressed me the least was Zac himself. I want to be behind him and want him to succeed and he still can, but a big part of me think hes in over his head and will be gone at the end of next season. I hope he proves me wrong and all of the doubters, but man he just doesnt seem like he has as clue.

Weve had issues a lb for what 3 years now? Interesting that Brown was who they viewed as the solution...and he was decent for the Bills.

I think our scheme and coaching makes players worse here.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 11:38 AM)Trademark Wrote: If this team decides to stick with Opie as the head coach, the team needs to at least fire both Jim Turner and Lou Anarumo and find an established defensive coordinator and an established offensive line coach and bring in an offensive coordinator.

No just start with Zach taylor and let the new guy make his picks.
Reply/Quote

Who Dey
                 I have to agree. Not only is ZT a piss poor play caller, he sucks at picking assistants. Opting instead for nepotism and cronyism.

Which quickly dragged this football team into the dregs of the NFL.

Thanks for pick #1OA Zac, how's that feel?? 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
I'd give Lou one more year, but Taylor has to give up the play calling and focus on being head coach.
Reply/Quote
In regards to Zac being an offensive guru, the Rams offense was figured out this offseason anyways. The Rams haven't been an offensive juggernaut this year, and haven't been nearly as good as last year.

I suppose you could swing this as the Rams losing ZT was a big reason for the setback amirite??? Ninja Ninja

P.S. Goff has been pedestrian this year at best.
Reply/Quote
Beating a drum but the Family needed and still need an established head coach who is supported by the Family and allowed to bring in his own staff, change the culture and decision making tree, and sign a couple of high quality free agents.

Building the o line and signing a couple of high quality linebackers are the obvious priorities, assuming AJ is here next season ( which is doubtful)

Absent hiring someone like  Rivera or McCarthy no truly high quality free agent is going to come here unless he is exorbitantly overpaid.

No way do the Bengals compete for the playoffs in the next two to three years absent a major overhaul of just about everything.

Burrows will be a wasted pick without major changes in personnel and coaching staff.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 02:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'd give Lou one more year, but Taylor has to give up the play calling and focus on being head coach.

Lou Anarumo was a huge improvement over Teryl Austin, that’s for sure, and while Lou is certainly no Mike Zimmer he definitely got some better play from the defense than I thought he would. With better personnel Lou might actually be able to put a respectable defense on the field. The linebackers and secondary need some faster players first of all and there needs to be enough defensive linemen to rotate players in and out to keep them fresh all game.
Reply/Quote
Bill Callahan should be brought in to replace Turner. I’m all for looking for Lou’s replacement, but I haven’t seen any good ideas yet and Del Rio isn’t the answer because he doesn’t want to coach in Cincy. He ripped the FO mid season too, so that probably takes him out of consideration.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 03:48 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Bill Callahan should be brought in to replace Turner. I’m all for looking for Lou’s replacement, but I haven’t seen any good ideas yet and Del Rio isn’t the answer because he doesn’t want to coach in Cincy. He ripped the FO mid season too, so that probably takes him out of consideration.

Rumor has it that Wade Phillips might be let go by the Rams.  But, once the silly season is over we will get a better idea of who is out there.  

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Last off-season was so rushed I would think there would be a few coaching changes.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 06:44 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Last off-season was so rushed I would think there would be a few coaching changes.

Yeah, basically Lou A was our last choice because we couldn't get anyone else, or at least that's how I remember it. I haven't seen anything that makes me think we shouldn't try to get an upgrade. 

And we should definitely get an OC for Taylor. That will at least make it easier on him. 

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 12:42 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: No just start with Zach taylor and let the new guy make his picks.

ZT will be back for 2020 and his entire coaching staff unless Taylor himself makes some changes,he is going to get another year to fix this and one thing I NEVER WANT TO HEAR ANYMORE IS::::::::::::::: Its fruststraing,and I know I did not spell that correctly but you know what I am saying and You guys know what????????????? Its a New Dey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sarcasm :andy: Hilarious
Reply/Quote
I disagree with getting rid of ZT. I will leave it to him to decide on changes in his coaching staff.

I agree he may have been a little over his head to begin the year. Did not help him he did not get the coaches he may have wanted.
I see a team that is playing hard for their coach. I think the Offensive Line, Wide Receiver and Defensive Line is improving.
Pratt is playing better at LB. Mixon, Boyd and Tate have played hard.

I am looking forward to getting our new QB Joe Burrow and our new LT Jonah Williams. Cordy Glenn will look great at LG.

Hopefully, we do something different and sign a couple of Free Agents. Love to overpay and pick up a great FA LB and RT.

I am trying to think positive and send positive vibes for ZT and the new look 2020 Bengals.

I just hope ZT gets to decide how things move forward not Mike Brown.
Reply/Quote