Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anarumo the Messenger
And yet with all of this, rejoice ! Marvin is gone
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I am cautiously optimistic that this turns out to be a great hire.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 06:44 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I am cautiously optimistic that this turns out to be a great hire.

Oh, hadn't you heard? FLEE! FLEE FOR YOUR LIVES! THE END IS NIGH! THEY'RE DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 06:19 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Hopefully, we're here this time next year saying... 'Damn, Captain Lou was a great choice!' 

He looks a little like Urban Meyer, from that 1st photo in the link.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 07:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He looks a little like Urban Meyer, from that 1st photo in the link.

I actually thought I was looking at Urban also.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 05:35 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I'm sure he had/has a plan. But the plan clearly went awry. Say what you will about Captain Lou, but he was definitely not part of "the plan" until a bunch of other options fell by the wayside. 

It appears Zac and Lou have been in contact all along during this process......
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 06:32 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Three months ago many of you were whining about change.... here it is and you still whine...let’s wait until they play a few games before crucifying Taylor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This x1000. 

Wait at lesst a mini camp or two before nailing the thing together...
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
I've never hired or been in an interview, but do people just hire the first person that comes in and not interview the entire stack of resumes they have looked over and decide on talking to these people?
Reply/Quote
The M&M does,lol.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 08:09 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I've never hired or been in an interview, but do people just hire the first person that comes in and not interview the entire stack of resumes they have looked over and decide on talking to these people?

Sometimes you know the first person you talk to is the right fit.

Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 06:06 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I don't think it's a long shot to say that the plan was "let's go chase some guys we might not have much of a chance of getting, just in case, but then we'll look at X, Y, and Z if those don't work out".

Lou was X, Y, or Z.

If you think the plan was "let's chase guys we have no chance of getting, then hire X, Y or Z", then that would mean X, Y or Z were their actual first second and third choices. So they would've been getting one of their top 3 choice....which wouldn't be a terrible hire after all.

But in reality, as I stated, you weren't in the meetings. The guys who we didn't get may have been terrible interviews, may have had different defensive philosophies than what we were looking for, or in the case of the U of FL DC, just didn't want to relocate, and got an upped offer from their current employer. Your first 8 words in your reply validate exactly what I am putting forth.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 06:32 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Three months ago many of you were whining about change.... here it is and you still whine...let’s wait until they play a few games before crucifying Taylor

That argument negates the fact that there are different qualitative aspects of change.

Yeah the Bengals hired coaches is one thing.

Yeah the Bengals hired coaches with proven track records is another.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 09:44 PM)Beaker Wrote: If you think the plan was "let's chase guys we have no chance of getting, then hire X, Y or Z", then that would mean X, Y or Z were their actual first second and third choices. So they would've been getting one of their top 3 choice....which wouldn't be a terrible hire after all.

But in reality, as I stated, you weren't in the meetings. The guys who we didn't get may have been terrible interviews, may have had different defensive philosophies than what we were looking for, or in the case of the U of FL DC, just didn't want to relocate, and got an upped offer from their current employer. Your first 8 words in your reply validate exactly what I am putting forth.

I was agreeing with you, 100%.
Reply/Quote
So if the defense ranks, say 26th next year from dead last this past year, is he a success?
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 11:54 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: So if the defense ranks, say 26th next year from dead last this past year, is he a success?

Damn the ranks. Use your eyes. You’ll be able to tell.
Reply/Quote
Meh. Not thrilled with the hire, but coaches have already been picked through. Hopefully an upgrade to personnel (mostly at LB) in FA and the draft make his job easier.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 06:37 PM)NKURyan Wrote: You want to fault them for that with no real suggestion for what they could have done better, go for it. You do you.

They failed to hire their top choices.

Your line of "They did the best they could" is not going to play very well if they have a terrible year.

I have hope this will all work out, but I am not going to say "I won't complain about a bad a bad team if that is the best they can do."
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 10:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: They failed to hire their top choices.

Your line of "They did the best they could" is not going to play very well if they have a terrible year.

I have hope this will all work out, but I am not going to say "I won't complain about a bad a bad team if that is the best they can do."

Their top choices were pretty improbable to begin with but you never know for sure if you don't ask.  And we have no way of knowing the distance between the top choices and the one they hired.  Was there a fifty percent difference or a one percent?   We will probably never know.  But we will assume like crazy.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 08:09 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I've never hired or been in an interview, but do people just hire the first person that comes in and not interview the entire stack of resumes they have looked over and decide on talking to these people?

When you are in direct compatition with other who are hiring at the same time you usually try to prioritize your interviews so you can hire your first choice.

During free agency fans never say "Wait until you interview a bunch of players before signing one" insteadd they want to bring in the top target first and "don't let him leave town without signing a contract."
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 10:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: When you are in direct compatition with other who are hiring at the same time you usually try to prioritize your interviews so you can hire your first choice.

During free agency fans never say "Wait until you interview a bunch of players before signing one" insteadd they want to bring in the top target first and "don't let him leave town without signing a contract."

Fred laying down the logic.

You'd think after seeing this team mismanaged for 27+ years that these fans would start to see the light.

We're seeing more of the same this offseason.
Reply/Quote