Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anarumo the Messenger
(02-22-2019, 11:21 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Fred laying down the logic.

Just to make it clear I don't have an unhealthy obsession with negativity like The Pistons.  I just have some concerns about the staff Zac has hired.

If we make just a few adjustments to our roster I believe we should be at least contending for the playoffs this year.
Reply/Quote
Im in a holding pattern on this one. Nothing to say that hasnt already been said. Doesnt exactly light a fire under my ass but I also know squat about Coach Lou and want to see what he can bring us before I go all doom and gloom. Miami has had solid defense for several seasons that I can recall. The Giants.....well....
[Image: proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ibb.co%2...a3b09aaec9]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 06:37 PM)NKURyan Wrote: So then you were just going to be impossible to please no matter what. Gotcha.

They had to hire someone. Judging from the lack of any immediate suggestions as to who would have been a better hire, it certainly seems like they made (at worst) a decent decision. You want to fault them for that with no real suggestion for what they could have done better, go for it. You do you.

You didn't score very well on reading comprehension tests, I assume.

I would have been very easy to please. I was speaking tongue in cheek. 

Oh, to hell with it. Go about your day. There's a stiff breeze blowing outside and I'm moved to go urinate into it.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 06:36 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: :tinyfiddle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfOqXFcycB8

Reply/Quote
With the new DC being a former DB coach, I'm now fully prepared to see a CB taken in Rd 1. Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The debacle is over.

Hopefully he is a semi-decent DC.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 10:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: When you are in direct compatition with other who are hiring at the same time you usually try to prioritize your interviews so you can hire your first choice.

During free agency fans never say "Wait until you interview a bunch of players before signing one" insteadd they want to bring in the top target first and "don't let him leave town without signing a contract."

So who should they have hired?

Look around the league at the other DCs that have been hired this year. 
Cardinals hire Vance Joseph... he wasn't coming here after losing out on the HC job.
Bears hire Chuck Pagano... meh, retread
Browns hire Steve Wilks... was just fired after one year
Broncos hire Ed Donatell... seems like a good hire
Patriots hire Greg Schiano... meh, people laughed it off when brought up here, and Belichick runs the defense anyways
Jets hire Gregg Williams... a lot of people on here didn't want him
Bucs hire Todd Bowles... seems good
Dolphins hire Patrick Graham... who?

Most of these positions were filled before the Bengals had their HC... that's a sacrifice you make when you decide to wait for your top candidate to coach in the Super Bowl. A lot of those teams who did hire more known DCs had to make some questionable HC hires (see: Gase, Kingsbury, the Packers hire) in order to be able to do so. I'll take that tradeoff.

Heck, compare is to the only other team in the same boat as us - the Dolphins. They also had to get a late start because they hired a Super Bowl coach. How many time was Patrick Graham's name brought up in the lead to our DC coach? How many people do you think would be excited if the Bengals hired the Packers linebackers coach?

Folks can get all pissy about it being a weak pool of candidates if you want, but I think it's pretty silly to jump down the Bengals throat because the guy they decided was the best of the bunch isn't good enough for us messageboard general managers. Maybe next year or two years from now there are stronger candidates out there, and then if Lou's not working on you move on - they've proven they're willing to do it. But the Bengals had to hire *somebody*, and until someone starts actually telling me who that *somebody* should have been I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

...and you KNOW that if they *hadn't* hired Lou the Bengals would be getting killed on her for *that*! Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 12:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Just to make it clear I don't have an unhealthy obsession with negativity like The Pistons.  I just have some concerns about the staff Zac has hired.

If we make just a few adjustments to our roster I believe we should be at least contending for the playoffs this year.

Calling out posters is against the COC. So...knock it off. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 01:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: With the new DC being a former DB coach, I'm now fully prepared to see a CB taken in Rd 1.  Ninja

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=4733170]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 12:44 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: You didn't score very well on reading comprehension tests, I assume.

I would have been very easy to please. I was speaking tongue in cheek. 

Oh, to hell with it. Go about your day. There's a stiff breeze blowing outside and I'm moved to go urinate into it.

Again... who should they have hired that would've made you happy if you're so easy to please?

Yes, I realized that your answers were tongue in cheek, even if I'm evidently not the Rhodes scholar that you and your Mensa level intelligence are. It still just supports the assertion that you have no actual answer and you're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

How hard can it be to say something like "I would have preferred they hire insert name of actual candidate here"? I would think it would be pretty friggin' easy, but maybe not...
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 01:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: [Image: tenor.gif?itemid=4733170]

I mean... I kind of think they should at least consider it.

*ducks*  Tongue
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 01:56 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Again... who should they have hired that would've made you happy if you're so easy to please?

Yes, I realized that your answers were tongue in cheek, even if I'm evidently not the Rhodes scholar that you and your Mensa level intelligence are. It still just supports the assertion that you have no actual answer and you're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

How hard can it be to say something like "I would have preferred they hire insert name of actual candidate here"? I would think it would be pretty friggin' easy, but maybe not...

Grantham would have been a good hire.

I was very intrigued by Pleasant.

Yes, I think Rex Ryan would have been a good fit. 

Actually, I wasn't crazy about JDR or Capers. 

Dennis Allen was really exciting.

Marquand Manuel has youth and more experience in the position (excluding time spent coordinating the fearsome defenses of the United States Academy of the Merchant Marines).

That's just off the top of my head. 

But I remind you, again, for the 98th time, whom I would have hired has NO relevance. At all. There is no mechanism in place in which I get to cast some sort of contravening vote and effect a recall of Capt. Lou. We can either like the hires or not like them. I am not going to do this with you anymore because you're either not getting it or you're trolling me. 

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 03:50 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Grantham would have been a good hire.

I was very intrigued by Pleasant.

Yes, I think Rex Ryan would have been a good fit. 

Actually, I wasn't crazy about JDR or Capers. 

Dennis Allen was really exciting.

Marquand Manuel has youth and more experience in the position (excluding time spent coordinating the fearsome defenses of the United States Academy of the Merchant Marines).

That's just off the top of my head. 

But I remind you, again, for the 98th time, whom I would have hired has NO relevance. At all. There is no mechanism in place in which I get to cast some sort of contravening vote and effect a recall of Capt. Lou. We can either like the hires or not like them. I am not going to do this with you anymore because you're either not getting it or you're trolling me. 

See, there you go.

Grantham decided he wasn't interested. Allen wasn't going to make a lateral move towards a worse defense. Both of these guys wer long shots to begin with.

Ryan's evidently not all that interested in leaving ESPN (he hasn't taken any other jobs), and JDR/Tyler decided (for whatever reason) it wasn't going to work out.

Manuel... man, I wasn't excited by that prospect at all. Crappy defenses in Atlanta and he just got fired. I thought he'd end up with the job if only because he was a Bengal at one point in time... I view it as refreshing that that is something that no longer seems to hold much weight with ownership. I'd also rather give someone new a shot than take Atlanta's retreads.

Pleasant *is* a guy I would have been happy with... but I have to figure Tyler knows him a heck of a lot better than I do so I'll trust his judgement.

Look, all I'm saying is that if the Bengals realistically hired the guy they view as the best candidate that was actually available to them, then they hired the right guy. Maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't, and if it doesn't you just move on in a year or two when maybe there are stronger candidates out there. Who they could have hired is absolutely relevant in assessing whether it was a good hire or not, and if noone has a better suggestion I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. The Bengals can't be held responsible for a weak pool of candidates, all they can do is pick the best one of the bunch, and if they did that I can't really give them an F.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 04:37 PM)Phil in BG Wrote: https://www.bengals.com/news/anarumo-a-perfect-messenger-for-bengals-d

It looks like Zac hired Anarumo due to his energy, communication skills and getting the most out of his players. Zac wanted someone who would carry his message to the defense. We wanted change and we got it. It'll be interesting how the rest of the defensive staff is filled out. Most good coaches will already have jobs.

When i first heard about Lou and that he was the Giants Secondary coach i was a bit hesitiant but then heard how he not only coached up Landon Collins and Jack Rabbit he also coached Reshad Jones and Brent Grimes into Probowlers and his Dolphins Secondary was pretty damn good. His resume is good, not great but i definately think he will be much better than Austin and that this guy CAN coach up players.

This definately wasn't our first option or mine but i am willing to give the guy time and see what happens. Not hating on this guy, he is good, i like him, we will see how he coaches an entire Defense. Doubt we do much of that soft zone shit with Lou like we did with Austin.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 07:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: When i first heard about Lou and that he was the Giants Secondary coach i was a bit hesitiant but then heard how he not only coached up Landon Collins and Jack Rabbit he also coached Reshad Jones and Brent Grimes into Probowlers and his Dolphins Secondary was pretty damn good. His resume is good, not great but i definately think he will be much better than Austin and that this guy CAN coach up players.

This definately wasn't our first option or mine but i am willing to give the guy time and see what happens. Not hating on this guy, he is good, i like him, we will see how he coaches an entire Defense. Doubt we do much of that soft zone shit with Lou like we did with Austin.

It should definitely be good for William Jackson and Jessie Bates!
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 01:47 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Folks can get all pissy about it being a weak pool of candidates if you want, but I think it's pretty silly to jump down the Bengals throat because the guy they decided was the best of the bunch isn't good enough for us messageboard general managers.

If he was the best candidate then the Bengals deserve to be criticized for letting him sit while we wasted so much time on other guys.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 01:58 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I mean... I kind of think they should at least consider it.

*ducks*  Tongue

Not in this draft.  I dont think any will be worth #11 pick this year.  There is gonna be better players on the board at multiple need positions for us.  In any draft I wouldent mind taking dbs high with the way the league is you cant have enough.  Just not this year based on whats likely to be available.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 07:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: When i first heard about Lou and that he was the Giants Secondary coach i was a bit hesitiant but then heard how he not only coached up Landon Collins and Jack Rabbit he also coached Reshad Jones and Brent Grimes into Probowlers and his Dolphins Secondary was pretty damn good. His resume is good, not great but i definately think he will be much better than Austin and that this guy CAN coach up players.

He should be able to help our DB's and William Jackson in particular.

I think one thing that's hard to do though is extrapolate how a guy will make the jump from a position coach to a DC. He has good energy which I think is a plus for getting guys fired up. Really hard to say what type of game he will call. We know he's aggressive which I think the board will like.

That said, the biggest factor that will determine his success or failure is if we add 2 quality LB's.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 07:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If he was the best candidate then the Bengals deserve to be criticized for letting him sit while we wasted so much time on other guys.

They were essentially only competing with the Dolphins for candidates... once Miami grabbed their guy, noone was going to step in and steal away whoever the Bengals want. If you know you're going to be able to get a guy, go ahead and try to play some lottery tickets and see what happens, I have no real issue with it. He wasn't going anywhere.

They're a couple of weeks behind, sure, but maybe - just maybe - this time of year isn't quite as busy for these coaches as certain staffs might lead us to believe. It's probably not *that* big of a deal, tbh.
Reply/Quote
IDK who else is a nerd like me, but 'Anarumo the Messenger' sounds like a monster from Diablo 2 or WoW lol
Reply/Quote