Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
And down goes Ross..........
(08-03-2019, 09:53 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Might as well. Nobody is in the right or wrong here. Is he a bust? Could be but he's been injured too often to get his legs under him ( no pun intended). The injuries is the thing that's getting unders most people's skin since he was injured coming out. I get it, and when healthy he seems to lack what it takes. But I'm willing to give him this year to see what he can do. With AJ out, and no Marvin dog house he has a huge opportunity to prove us wrong. Just hope he steps up and makes the most of it. He seems like a good kid, I definitely don't want to see him fail just so I can say I told ya so. I want everyone to be at their best. I just ready for some damn football!

I thought the Marvin dog house excuse was dispelled when we found out Ross was injured most of his rookie year. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2019, 10:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I thought the Marvin dog house excuse was dispelled when we found out Ross was injured most of his rookie year. 

May have been, not sure but it's defiantly not going to be an excuse this year.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 07:13 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: You just can't make this stuff up!

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/7/29/8938038/john-ross-injury-nfl-news-bengals-camp-2019?fbclid=IwAR2CbOO_cgJkPwwPfzmw0v2PrMam8OlIQPAhPI89miINMvFdfDcBUtnQcDw

It's been two weeks.

Reply/Quote
It’s ok. He can just red shirt this year , he’s just a rookie
Reply/Quote
Sounds like Ross is “expected” back next week.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fantasypros.com/nfl/news/223579/john-ross-expected-to-return-to-practice-next-week-bengals.php%3famp
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 11:19 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Sounds like Ross is “expected” back next week.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fantasypros.com/nfl/news/223579/john-ross-expected-to-return-to-practice-next-week-bengals.php%3famp

Hum, quote from Justin Mackey:

Quote:ESPN's Ben Baby is reporting that John Ross (hamstring) is expected to return to practice next week. (Ben Baby on Twitter)

Fantasy Impact:
With A.J. Green (ankle) sidelined, the Bengals need Ross to get healthy and add another threat to the offense opposite Tyler Boyd. Ross makes an intriguing late-round flyer in deeper leagues.

What we need is for Malone to be that guy. He keeps himself available.

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2019, 11:25 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Hum, quote from Justin Mackey:

What we need is for Malone to be that guy. He keeps himself available.

With the way Tate and Malone, not to mention Erickson and Morgan have been playing... oh and even the lowly Core, are looking good.  Ross only chance is playing ST since Philips cant catch or stay healthy or practice.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 12:17 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: With the way Tate and Malone, not to mention Erickson and Morgan have been playing... oh and even the lowly Core, are looking good.  Ross only chance is playing ST since Philips cant catch or stay healthy or practice.

He will just get injured but at this point we have to get something out of this guy. If returns is it so be it.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 03:16 AM)TKUHL Wrote: He will just get injured but at this point we have to get something out of this guy. If returns is it so be it.

It would make sense to use Ross in that Adam Jones return role, which is when the team could use a more electric returner who could take it to the house on occasion. Erickson is what he is - consistent, but he's not really a home run threat.

It's worth noting that Taylor might have a vision to use Ross like the Rams used Cooks last year. Cooks is near identical size to Ross and also speedy.

Interesting thing about Cooks is he's used as both a deep threat but also in the slot a lot as a YAC guy. Ross should be used the same.
For more specifics (got these numbers from rotowire.com)....

Cooks 2018 usage:
Slot - 584 plays (49%)
Outside - 382 plays (32%)

Ross 2018 usage:
Slot - 149 plays (24.7%)
Outside - 443 plays (73.5%) - THE MOST OUTSIDE PLAYS ON THE TEAM

The problem the Bengals have right now is Boyd is the primary slot guy and where he's been (way) more productive. Boyd had 77.8% of his plays from the slot. And prior to this year, the Bengals liked to often have two receivers outside and only one slot WR. However, there's nothing stopping the Bengals from using two WRs in the slot on plays, just like the Rams did last year with both Cooks and Woods. 
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 10:46 AM)ochocincos Wrote: It would make sense to use Ross in that Adam Jones return role, which is when the team could use a more electric returner who could take it to the house on occasion. Erickson is what he is - consistent, but he's not really a home run threat.

It's worth noting that Taylor might have a vision to use Ross like the Rams used Cooks last year. Cooks is near identical size to Ross and also speedy.

Interesting thing about Cooks is he's used as both a deep threat but also in the slot a lot as a YAC guy. Ross should be used the same.

Cooks 2018 usage:
Slot - 584 plays (49%)

Ross 2018 usage:
Slot - 149 plays (24.7%)

The problem the Bengals have right now is Boyd is the primary slot guy and where he's been (way) more productive. Boyd had 77.8% of his plays from the slot. And prior to this year, the Bengals liked to often have two receivers outside and only one slot WR. However, there's nothing stopping the Bengals from using two WRs in the slot on plays, just like the Rams did last year with both Cooks and Woods. 
My understanding of this scheme is, there is no traditional Wr positions. If I remembering correctly, AJ or Boyd saying something like, we have to know every receiver's route on every play. Boyd might line up outside and AJ in the slot, which would be a DB's nightmare, stuff like that.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 11:12 AM)sandwedge Wrote: My understanding of this scheme is, there is no traditional Wr positions. If I remembering correctly, AJ or Boyd saying something like, we have to know every receiver's route on every play. Boyd might line up outside and AJ in the slot, which would be a DB's nightmare, stuff like that.

AJ has always done well from the slot whenever he's taken snaps there IIRC.
Boyd can also play outside but does better from slot.
I'm really hoping the new offense is more creative than the ones under Marvin.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Couldn't we have two slot guys and 1 WR? The game changed and has gotten faster. Maybe that's the secret to the Pats, short quick passes with long yards after the catch?

I thought this is what an Offensive Coach is there to do and come up with? The old long deep ball is a thing of the past. QB's only have like 3 secs. to get the balls out of their hands in average... UNLESS they have a very good OL where the QB has "all day" to throw.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 11:38 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: I thought this is what an Offensive Coach is there to do and come up with? The old long deep ball is a thing of the past. QB's only have like 3 secs. to get the balls out of their hands in average... UNLESS they have a very good OL where the QB has "all day" to throw.

They definitely didn't have Andy holding onto the ball all that long in the one preseason game we've seen the new offense, so I think they're way ahead of you on that one.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 11:38 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Couldn't we have two slot guys and 1 WR? The game changed and has gotten faster. Maybe that's the secret to the Pats, short quick passes with long yards after the catch?

I thought this is what an Offensive Coach is there to do and come up with? The old long deep ball is a thing of the past. QB's only have like 3 secs. to get the balls out of their hands in average... UNLESS they have a very good OL where the QB has "all day" to throw.

The slot receiver is the inside receiver when there are two receivers out to one side.

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 10:46 AM)ochocincos Wrote: It would make sense to use Ross in that Adam Jones return role, which is when the team could use a more electric returner who could take it to the house on occasion. Erickson is what he is - consistent, but he's not really a home run threat.

Cooks 2018 usage:
Slot - 584 plays (49%)

Ross 2018 usage:
Slot - 149 plays (24.7%)

Boyd produces in the slot. You can't play everyone there. And to use 2 slot WR's...you need 4 WR's...so you take a TE who can help block off the field or Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 01:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Boyd produces in the slot. You can't play everyone there. And to use 2 slot WR's...you need 4 WR's...so you take a TE who can help block off the field or Mixon.

I understand that.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 01:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I understand that.

You could do something like:

Tate or Malone/Boyd in slot. Mixon at RB. Ross in slot/Eifert split out.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 01:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You could do something like:

Tate or Malone/Boyd in slot. Mixon at RB. Ross in slot/Eifert split out.

This is the tricky part. Eifert should be in the slot if he's healthy. Boyd has thrived in the slot and is Dalton's new security blanket. However, Boyd has more size than Ross to handle outside WR duties.

I think Dalton needs size for his outside WRs. Dalton does his best work in the short-to-intermediate routes and with bigger targets. When he goes deep, he usually doesn't hit his receivers in stride and therefore needs those receivers to come back and high-point the ball.

If you play Ross and Boyd at the same time, you may have to take Eifert off the field and put a bigger WR on the outside opposite AJ. The other option is to put either Boyd or Ross outside, which may limit their effectiveness.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Interesting stat on Todd Gurley last year.  He was targeted as a receiver 79 times and on a third of then (26) he was lined up as a WR.

Looks like the only RBs with more targets from the WR position were Alvin Kamara, the Colts' Nyheim Hines (who?) and the Bears Tarik Cohen (again who?).

Maybe we will see our RBs motioned out to the WR positions more often.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 02:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: the Colts' Nyheim Hines (who?) and the Bears Tarik Cohen (again who?).

Ok, while Hines wasn't a world beater, I'm fairly certain most people in the area know who he is; he had a couple of plays for the Colts in our game against them last year.

But Cohen is an absolute stud, Jack of All Trades guy; EVERYONE know who he is.

AFAIR, he was an all-pro last year, even.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote