Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And just like that, Brandon LaFell is even more valuable.....
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Rookie-flashbacks-as-Bengals-greeted-with-change/13fefa6b-7067-4619-bc9d-780235f602d1

He already knows and has 4 years experience with the route trees and numbering system in the new offense, and can be a huge help to our younger receiving corp, even more so than usual....
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2018, 08:24 AM)Sled21 Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Rookie-flashbacks-as-Bengals-greeted-with-change/13fefa6b-7067-4619-bc9d-780235f602d1

He already knows and has 4 years experience with the route trees and numbering system in the new offense, and can be a huge help to our younger receiving corp, even more so than usual....

Hmm Perhaps when they cut him and get that big number off the books he can make an instant transition to assistant WR coach!

I'm kidding. I don't hate LaFell like most others. I don't love him. But don't hate him, either. This article smells of hype before they cut a guy. Classic Hobson!
Reply/Quote
There is nothing wrong with keeping LaFell around until Ross, Boyd, and Malone can prove they can be "the man". The money isn't needed for anything at this point, so why be in a hurry to run him out the doors?
Reply/Quote
We'll see. It depends on how much a player like Dez signs for. If he signs for 2m more than what we pay Lafell then....... There's only so many routes a receiver runs. I don't think the numbers system is that different then the word system (Even we know the 9 route and the Go route are the same). Probably the easiest of the transitions.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2018, 09:15 AM)jj22 Wrote: We'll see. It depends on how much a player like Dez signs for. If he signs for 2m more than what we pay Lafell then....... There's only so many routes a receiver runs. I don't think the numbers system is that different then the word system (Even we know the 9 route and the Go route are the same). Probably the easiest of the transitions.

Dez Bryant is just a name anymore. The guy runs three routes, that's it (Slant, comeback, Go).
Reply/Quote
Are you arguing Lafell is better then Dez?

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2018, 11:05 AM)jj22 Wrote: Are you arguing Lafell is better then Dez?

Look at their stats for the last three years, Dez is a shell of himself. Dez may be slightly better but not nearly the gap you are thinking in your mind. 
Reply/Quote
I don't understand why many in the jungle thinks Lafell's 548 yards is some irreplaceable figure. I don't buy it.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2018, 11:09 AM)jj22 Wrote: I don't understand why many in the jungle thinks Lafell's 548 yards is some irreplaceable figure. I don't buy it.

549 on 89 targets isn't bad, he has a catch % of 58.4%. Dez on the other hand only had 838 on 132 targets for a catch percentage of 52.3%. I am not saying LaFell is great I am saying he isn't worth jettisoning especially when you bring in Dez's name who simply isn't that much better but perception now is that he is.

I'll use the caveat if Dez wants to play for what LaFell makes I am interested.
Reply/Quote
I think the two, Dez and LaFell are and were in entirely different situations . Dez had some very unrealistic expectations heaped on him in Dallas to be some kind of WR god while LaFell hasn't had the same kind of microscope environment to play in.  In Dallas Dez was always playing in the footsteps of guys who won championships year after year while LaFell not as much with the exception of his time in NE.. In Dallas Dez was expected to be THE MAN,  but injuries and other factors detailed things .
Anyway, LaFell seems more like a standin until other guys develop or get drafted.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I don’t hate Lafell but I think we could do better, plus why draft guys like Malone and Core if you’re keeping Lafell on the roster
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2018, 11:09 AM)jj22 Wrote: I don't understand why many in the jungle thinks Lafell's 548 yards is some irreplaceable figure. I don't buy it.

theres a lot to be said for the time a WR and QB work together....    Lafells not irreplaceable. But hes serviceable. and no real reason to cut him just yet.

You think we are gonna Pay Dez to come here (it will cost more outside of the NFCE)  Ross is gonna get a lot of playing time.. Boyd should get more playing time.     That leaves Dez at best rotating in.   Hes gonna want to be at least a #1 or #2 WR       hes a great name.  But not all needed here in Cincy.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2018, 12:08 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I don’t hate Lafell but I think we could do better, plus why draft guys like Malone and Core if you’re keeping Lafell on the roster

Vet Backup... But if Malone and Core cant beat Lafell in practice.. Why play them over lafell?
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2018, 11:07 AM)Au165 Wrote: Look at their stats for the last three years, Dez is a shell of himself. Dez may be slightly better but not nearly the gap you are thinking in your mind. 

Slightly? The dude has 137 more reception, over 2 thousand yards and a whooping 44 more TDs than Lafell has. He's massively better than Lafell. Obviously when they had Romo, Dez was a clear #1 WR. He put up over a grand and  at least 10 TDs  his last three years with Romo. But with Dak, they didn't seem to mesh well.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2018, 12:15 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: theres a lot to be said for the time a WR and QB work together....    Lafells not irreplaceable. But hes serviceable. and no real reason to cut him just yet.

You think we are gonna Pay Dez to come here (it will cost more outside of the NFCE)  Ross is gonna get a lot of playing time.. Boyd should get more playing time.     That leaves Dez at best rotating in.   Hes gonna want to be at least a #1 or #2 WR       hes a great name.  But not all needed here in Cincy.
Well put.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2018, 12:08 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I don’t hate Lafell but I think we could do better, plus why draft guys like Malone and Core if you’re keeping Lafell on the roster

I would say more why spend Day 1/2 draft picks on Ross and Boyd if you're keeping LaFell on the roster. Malone and Core were both Day 3 picks and added for depth. Core especially was a 6th round pick, nothing spectacular. At best he'll be a WR4. I honestly expect the Bengals to draft a WR in the 5th round and that pick will compete for the last WR spot with Core.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think Lafell will be cut and this will all work itself out.

Reply/Quote
I don't mean to derail the thread, but did this stick out to anybody else?

Speaking about new OL coach Frank Pollack
Quote:“Frank has a different mentality. He’s intense. He keeps you awake,” Redmond said.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Alexander opening meetings with a rendition of Beethoven was torture.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2018, 12:22 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Slightly? The dude has 137 more reception, over 2 thousand yards and a whooping 44 more TDs than Lafell has. He's massively better than Lafell. Obviously when they had Romo, Dez was a clear #1 WR. He put up over a grand and  at least 10 TDs  his last three years with Romo. But with Dak, they didn't seem to mesh well.

This. What I heard/read is that Dez has never gotten much separation, but he's great at "boxing out" and beating corners with his physicality. Romo knew this and still threw him the ball. Apparently Dak is not a risk taker and won't throw unless he see's that Dez has a step on the CB. He doesn't trust Dez to win otherwise. 

Long story short, Dak and Dez aren't meshing.

I'd love to see him as the #2, so long as it's only $1-2 million more than what we pay LaFell. I wouldn't pay big bucks though.

(04-17-2018, 01:13 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't mean to derail the thread, but did this stick out to anybody else?

Speaking about new OL coach Frank Pollack

So he's implying that Ivory Tickler put everyone to sleep?  Yawn

Seems like he's "throwing shade".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote