Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And so it Begins: Zeitler to Ravens
We see when teams really want to improve, vs when teams just talk.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/15/ravens-sign-kevin-zeitler/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Ok just because one team signs someone and we haven’t yet doesn’t mean they aren’t trying to improve...
Reply/Quote
A bit premature to makin' statements like this... No? I remember the same thing going on last season til we started signing guys. But yeah... They kept the loser coaches around, so maybe you're right.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 11:06 AM)jason Wrote: A bit premature to makin' statements like this... No? I remember the same thing going on last season til we started signing guys. But yeah... They kept the loser coaches around, so maybe you're right.

None of the guys we signed last year we needed. Billings had a career year at NT. We had no need for Safety. No need for Waynes. Many of these were luxury signings.

The guys we needed we saw go elsewhere (LB's/Oline).

In the mean time - Thuney and Linsey likely heading to JETS. PATS making last minute push for Thuney.

Reply/Quote
Zeitler was never coming back to the Bengals except in the brains of over hopeful fans. The Pats franchised Thuney last year, of course they still want him if they can mutually make the numbers work.

And, while you think that last year's big signees were "luxury" The reality is that each of them were projected starters from the day they were signed. Starters aren't luxury signees.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 11:26 AM)pally Wrote: And, while you think that last year's big signees were "luxury" The reality is that each of them were projected starters from the day they were signed.  Starters aren't luxury signees.

Really? Who did we need. Besides Bynes who signed after the FO swung and missed on all LB targets. And Alexander (if you were looking to move on from Dennard, who was our best tackling corner and manned the slot just fine when healthy). This is a new twist from fans that pretty much agreed that the FA period last year were made up of luxury signings. Even if they started. There was no need for NT, CB, Safety. 

The needs we got Bynes and XSF. All because of striking out on top targets. But hey, they started!

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 11:26 AM)pally Wrote: And, while you think that last year's big signees were "luxury" The reality is that each of them were projected starters from the day they were signed.  Starters aren't luxury signees.

That is just the story he had to come up with because last yera at this time he was squealing about how the Bengals were not going to sign anyone.

Now he is claiming that only one of the 32 teams in the league want to improve.

Free agency period  for Bengal fans is like the finals of the drama queen competition.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 11:32 AM)fredtoast Wrote: That is just the story he had to come up with because last yera at this time he was squealing about how the Bengals were not going to sign anyone.

Now he is claiming that only one of the 32 teams in the league want to improve.

Free agency period  for Bengal fans is like the finals of the drama queen competition.

Again, who did we sign last year that we targeted to help with needs?

This is some revisionist history being written given we were all in agreeance last year this time the signings were nice and the money spent a surprise, but the money was poorly spent and the targets where luxury given the players they replaced where cheaper and having career years.

But Ok. Highest paid NT, Strong Safety, Bynes and XSF were on yalls FA targets if you want me to believe that.

For those appreciating TRUTH. I know you weren't looking for the Bengals to make a NT the highest paid NT in the league, and I know Safety wasn't on the radar. All other spin we can debate now, but truth will prevail in the end.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 11:30 AM)jj22 Wrote: Really? Who did we need. Besides Bynes who signed after the FO swung and missed on all LB targets. And Alexander (if you were looking to move on from Dennard, who was our best tackling corner and manned the slot just fine when healthy). This is a new twist from fans that pretty much agreed that the FA period last year were made up of luxury signings. Even if they started. There was no need for NT, CB, Safety. 

Dennard was not a Bengal last year.  He was a free agent.

And you are grossly overstating Billings play at NT.

We did not have Higgins so if we did not re-sign Green our #2 WR would have been Erickson or Tate.

We were losing Kirkpatrick so we had to sign another starting CB.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 11:34 AM)jj22 Wrote: Again, who did we sign last year that we targeted to help with needs?

So with no Dennard or Kirkpatrick who were our three starting CBs?

With Green gone who was going to be our starting WRs?
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 11:34 AM)jj22 Wrote: Again, who did we sign last year that we targeted to help with needs?

This is some revisionist history being written given we were all in agreeance last year this time the signings were nice and the money spent a surprise, but the money was poorly spent and the targets where luxury given the players they replaced where cheaper and having career years.

But Ok. Highest paid NT, Strong Safety, Bynes and XSF were on yalls FA targets if you want me to believe that.

For those appreciating TRUTH. I know you weren't looking for the Bengals to make a NT the highest paid NT in the league, and I know Safety wasn't on the radar. All other spin we can debate now, but truth will prevail in the end.

Billings and Dennard were UFA's.  If we had ponied up to resign them, you would probably complain that we didn't sign any top tier FA's and stuck with the old resign our own philosophy.

And seriously, people were talking about replacing Dre for years.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 11:34 AM)jj22 Wrote:  All other spin we can debate now, but truth will prevail in the end.

And the truth is that at this time last year you were squealing about how the Bengals were not going tospend any money of free agents.
Reply/Quote
Exactly. We could have re-signed Dennard who fit our system and slot corner wasn't on anyone's radar because he could have easily been had and was by ATL late in the FA period for nearly vet minimum.

Billings had a career year. NT wasn't on anyone's radar as even if you didn't think Billings had a career year, Tupou had a career year too (we didn't know about covid and the opt out then).

Kirk was cut. We weren't losing him, and he outplayed Waynes in a big year in Arizona.

No one mentioned Green who wasn't worth 18 million and many were against the tag. But glad you are now thinking he was, and need to count him in our FA signings.

You got to come better.

All you are doing is proving my point.

Reply/Quote
Has it been confirmed that the Bengals didn't reach out to Zeitler? If so I missed it. Maybe they did and he said, "No thanks."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 11:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And the truth is that at this time last year you were squealing about how the Bengals were not going tospend any money of free agents.

On losing out on the top LB's and Olineman? Probably. And rightfully so. 

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 11:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So with no Dennard or Kirkpatrick who were our three starting CBs?

With Green gone who was going to be our starting WRs?

Kirk, WJIII, Phillips. 

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 11:46 AM)jj22 Wrote: On losing out on the top LB's and Olineman? Probably. And rightfully so. 

The top FA linebackers last year played horribly this past season, so that probably was a blessing in disguise
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 11:41 AM)Whatever Wrote: Billings and Dennard were UFA's.  If we had ponied up to resign them, you would probably complain that we didn't sign any top tier FA's and stuck with the old resign our own philosophy.

And seriously, people were talking about replacing Dre for years.

Did you see what Dennard and Billings had signed for? Billings/Tupou made bigger impacts on the line then the highest paid NT in the league. And besides, we finally break the bank and it's on NT? No one thought that was necessary (until today I guess) given where the money could have went.

Waynes we all agreed was overpaid and the worse FA signing of the bunch, so I think it's lame folks want to forget now, but I see Fred has others playing along. 

Dre if not better than Waynes, is likely no more than a wash. Again, we all agreed on this up until about an hour ago. 

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 11:47 AM)Au165 Wrote: The top FA linebackers last year played horribly this past season, so that probably was a blessing in disguise

I seen the Cory Littleton decline coming... That Defensive Line of the Rams lead by Aaron Donald takes so much pressure off the linebackers.

The Bengals need to work on both lines. Football is won in the trenches.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 11:49 AM)jj22 Wrote: Dre if not better than Waynes, is likely no more than a wash. Again, we all agreed on this up until about an hour ago. 

Dre was one of the worst corners in the league last year, what are you talking about. 
Reply/Quote