Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"And that's a good thing"
I don't know about any of the rest of you, but for me this has been the most boring pre-season (post-draft) ever.

I have mixed feelings about that. First, it's boring. I said that already. Second, I think it's boring for some very good reasons. Most importantly, I think we have a very solid roster. Sure there are question marks, but they're not huge ones. And so I think that causes very little drama. But we also, (knock on wood) have no players doing anything stupid to get themselves in trouble and jeopardize the stability of the roster. That leaves me to conclude that boring is good, but I can't wait for the real football to start.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2015, 12:38 PM)Shady Wrote: I don't know about any of the rest of you, but for me this has been the most boring pre-season (post-draft) ever.

I have mixed feelings about that. First, it's boring. I said that already. Second, I think it's boring for some very good reasons. Most importantly, I think we have a very solid roster. Sure there are question marks, but they're not huge ones. And so I think that causes very little drama. But we also, (knock on wood) have no players doing anything stupid to get themselves in trouble and jeopardize the stability of the roster. That leaves me to conclude that boring is good, but I can't wait for the real football to start.

It's been boring for me because my enthusiasm has been at an all time low. And i mean all time. Slowly getting back into it though. Watching some on Game Rewind and whatnot. But i'm not really gonna get all football gooey until preseason starts. All the gum flapping just goes right out the door for me. Get on the field and do something.

Used to be that i was jonesing hard during the spring and early summer waiting for the end of July so TC could start, just so i could see some live action on a field. Not this year. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2015, 12:46 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's been boring for me because my enthusiasm has been at an all time low. And i mean all time. 

You don't really mean that, do you?  How was your enthusiasm level after the 2010 season?

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2015, 12:46 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's been boring for me because my enthusiasm has been at an all time low. And i mean all time. Slowly getting back into it though. Watching some on Game Rewind and whatnot. But i'm not really gonna get all football gooey until preseason starts. All the gum flapping just goes right out the door for me. Get on the field and do something.

Used to be that i was jonesing hard during the spring and early summer waiting for the end of July so TC could start, just so i could see some live action on a field. Not this year. 

Same here. I watched the "Let's Ride" video last night over on Bengals Forum. I got a little jolt, but I'm back to YAWN.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2015, 12:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You don't really mean that, do you?  How was your enthusiasm level after the 2010 season?

Being pissed off is emotional...not boring. This is different. It's not a bad thing. Maybe our consistency (4 years to the playoffs) is making us a little less anxious as fans. Despite the four consecutive playoff losses, we have to acknowledge that making it 4 years in a row is NEW to us. 
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2015, 12:46 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's been boring for me because my enthusiasm has been at an all time low. And i mean all time. Slowly getting back into it though. Watching some on Game Rewind and whatnot. But i'm not really gonna get all football gooey until preseason starts. All the gum flapping just goes right out the door for me. Get on the field and do something.

If only Denny were here, he'd cheer you up.  Bank on it!   Dancing
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2015, 12:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You don't really mean that, do you?  How was your enthusiasm level after the 2010 season?

I mean that, honestly. After '10, throughout the '90s, didn't matter. Once the draft hit and all the OTAs and stuff, i would start jonesing for football like a crackhead joneses for a rock. This is the first time i've ever....EVER, been "meh" this time of year.

But like i said. I've been watching some games on GR and i can feel the anticipation slowly starting to build up.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2015, 03:13 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: If only Denny were here, he'd cheer you up.  Bank on it!   Dancing

BTW, this is meant to be funny and sarcastic.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2015, 03:31 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: BTW, this is meant to be funny and sarcastic.

It's ok to admit, we all miss him Cry
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
We need a Hobson fluff piece about some guy who is going to replace someone we let go in FA and be even better.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2015, 05:02 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: We need a Hobson fluff piece about some guy who is going to replace someone we let go in FA and be even better.

Go to http://www.bengals.com , close your eyes, throw a dart at your monitor and you'll hit on one. 

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2015, 03:28 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I mean that, honestly. After '10, throughout the '90s, didn't matter. Once the draft hit and all the OTAs and stuff, i would start jonesing for football like a crackhead joneses for a rock. This is the first time i've ever....EVER, been "meh" this time of year.

But like i said. I've been watching some games on GR and i can feel the anticipation slowly starting to build up.

I feel the same way. It sounds silly to be more apathetic towards a 10-5-1 team than a 4-12 team, but I guess I blame just how stagnant things have become. The last 4 years have been nearly identical, and the HC and core of players is pretty much the same.

When the team goes from 10-6 to 4-12, at least you can talk about what went wrong and what changes are going to be made. You also have better draft picks. But with nearly identical results, players and coaches over the last 4 years, there really isn't anything left to discuss that hasn't been beaten to death over the last 2-3 years.

Long story short, there's nothing left to talk about. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2015, 05:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I feel the same way. It sounds silly to be more apathetic towards a 10-5-1 team than a 4-12 team, but I guess I blame just how stagnant things have become. The last 4 years have been nearly identical, and the HC and core of players is pretty much the same.

When the team goes from 10-6 to 4-12, at least you can talk about what went wrong and what changes are going to be made. You also have better draft picks. But with nearly identical results, players and coaches over the last 4 years, there really isn't anything left to discuss that hasn't been beaten to death over the last 2-3 years.

Exactly. The last couple seasons have been almost pointless because you're just waiting for the playoffs to see if they progress any further, with much of the same cast. 

That's not to say i don't enjoy the week to week games, but i definitely don't get hyped because i've already seen acts 1 and 2. I want to see a different act 3.

Reply/Quote

What are you talking about? My enthusiasm was at an all-time high during the 2010 off-season. It was one of the best off seasons I can remember. Got rid of some malcontents. We had the #4 overall pick in a loaded draft. Chance to move on from an underachieving QB. And in the 4 seasons since then, we've had as many playoff appearances as we had in the previous 22 years combined.

Seems like it was a pretty good springboard.
Reply/Quote
The draft, while looking solid, didn't really do much to build confidence in anything changing this season. So that usual mid offseason spark of excitement hasn't come to fill the gap. Come training camp the excitement will be back.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Just like a lot of people have already said there's just not much to talk about anymore. We've got the same team, same coaches, as we've had like 3 years running now.

Like the talking head said after Indy crushed us in the playoffs, "at this point winning a playoff game is the only thing that matters" Until we do there's just not much to say !
Reply/Quote
The offseason was a major downer for me because of the whole message board being shut down. It was a big FU to all of us. With that being said I think this team can bring home the Lombardi and I am looking forward to this season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2015, 05:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I feel the same way. It sounds silly to be more apathetic towards a 10-5-1 team than a 4-12 team, but I guess I blame just how stagnant things have become. The last 4 years have been nearly identical, and the HC and core of players is pretty much the same.

Yeah, you captured it better than I did. Maybe it really is a sense of apathy bordering on a sad sense of resignation to losing in the playoffs. It's hard to sustain the enthusiasm and joyful anticipation of another season after four straight one-and-dones. We've got a successful (winning) team, but they need to find a way to become a great team.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2015, 01:00 AM)J24 Wrote: The offseason was a major downer for me because of the whole message board being shut down. It was a big FU to all of us. With that being said I think this team can bring home the Lombardi and I am looking forward to this season.

Wow. Seriously dude? A message board closing and you take it personally? What a drama queen.

If that caused you even a momentary, split-second of emotion, you have some serious life issues.
Reply/Quote

(06-20-2015, 05:08 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Exactly. The last couple seasons have been almost pointless because you're just waiting for the playoffs to see if they progress any further, with much of the same cast. 

That's not to say i don't enjoy the week to week games, but i definitely don't get hyped because i've already seen acts 1 and 2. I want to see a different act 3.

I guess I sort of feel sorry for you guys. Not excited about a team that has made the playoffs 4 straight seasons? Cue.....we lost in the first round. Well one thing is for certain.............if you do not make the playoffs then you certainly have no chance to advance.... ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote