Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andre Smith
In most everyone's "plan" for the team, it seems to be a foregone conclusion that Andre Smith will be playing for the Bengals this season. I think that it's fair to say that the Bengals got more than their 3.25M worth out of the often injured big man, as he managed to stay on the field for the best part of the season. Some might refer to it being a one year "prove it" deal, as it only had the 1.5M signing bonus as guaranteed money.

The question that I bring to you is: Do you think that Andre did enough to "prove it" to the Bengals?

I have to think that with Andre being 31, and so often injured over his career, he and his agent will be looking for one last $core to secure his retirement fund.

So, if you are one that believes that Andre will be a Bengal this season: What sort of offer is he worth/will the Bengals offer/Andre be willing to settle for? Personally, I feel like his agent might be looking for something like 2 years 4-5M/per and at least half of the total value guaranteed. When healthy, I see him as worth at least that much. But the question always is, can he stay healthy all season long?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 06:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: In most everyone's "plan" for the team, it seems to be a foregone conclusion that Andre Smith will be playing for the Bengals this season.  I think that it's fair to say that the Bengals got more than their 3.25M worth out of the often injured big man, as he managed to stay on the field for the best part of the season.  Some might refer to it being a one year "prove it" deal, as it only had the 1.5M signing bonus as guaranteed money.

The question that I bring to you is:  Do you think that Andre did enough to "prove it" to the Bengals?  

I have to think that with Andre being 31, and so often injured over his career, he and his agent will be looking for one last $core to secure his retirement fund.  

So, if you are one that believes that Andre will be a Bengal this season:  What sort of offer is he worth/will the Bengals offer/Andre be willing to settle for?  Personally, I feel like his agent might be looking for something like 2 years 4-5M/per and at least half of the total value guaranteed.  When healthy, I see him as worth at least that much.  But the question always is, can he stay healthy all season long?

I think Smith did a decent job, but not close to being great in 2018. I could see them seeking 7 million over 2 years with little in guarantees. I don't think other teams will seek him out due to his injuries and bad stent when he left Bengals. He also got 1 year older so unlikely he gets more money. Bengals just signed a 26 year old on prove it deal, I don't think 3.5 million is a prove it deal, I think great deal for Smith last year.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Have always been lukewarm with Andre but he really filled a void for us last year.

Think he has a little leverage on Bengals since our quality depth at OL is lacking.

Yet he does have an injury history as well as he sometimes waits until contract years to try his best it seems.

Hope to get him around 4 million a year on short contract personally.

Crossing fingers nobody else comes knocking and really hoping that we draft the well enough that it regulates him to a back up.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
It depends. I think they'll draft at least one and maybe two OTs. I think there's zero chance that they release Ogbuehi or Fisher. I'm not sure he's as necessary to bring back as some think. He's a better player than the two starters, but he's still nothing amazing.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 08:32 PM)samhain Wrote: It depends.  I think they'll draft at least one and maybe two OTs.  I think there's zero chance that they release Ogbuehi or Fisher.  I'm not sure he's as necessary to bring back as some think.  He's a better player than the two starters, but he's still nothing amazing.

Fair enough

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 08:32 PM)samhain Wrote: It depends.  I think they'll draft at least one and maybe two OTs.  I think there's zero chance that they release Ogbuehi or Fisher.  I'm not sure he's as necessary to bring back as some think.  He's a better player than the two starters, but he's still nothing amazing.

I don't know, man.  Getting rid of both would cost less than 2M in "dead cap" and even add a little spendable cash.  Don't be surprised if the Bengals go off the script and pull the plug on one or both of them.

Like yourself, I also see the Bengals drafting a Tackle or two, along with taking a look at whomever in free agency.  One just has to believe that the player personnel department has egg all over their face for drafting both Ogbuehi and Fisher, and neither of them really amounting to much yet.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 06:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: In most everyone's "plan" for the team, it seems to be a foregone conclusion that Andre Smith will be playing for the Bengals this season.  I think that it's fair to say that the Bengals got more than their 3.25M worth out of the often injured big man, as he managed to stay on the field for the best part of the season.  Some might refer to it being a one year "prove it" deal, as it only had the 1.5M signing bonus as guaranteed money.

The question that I bring to you is:  Do you think that Andre did enough to "prove it" to the Bengals?  

So, if you are one that believes that Andre will be a Bengal this season:  What sort of offer is he worth/will the Bengals offer/Andre be willing to settle for?  Personally, I feel like his agent might be looking for something like 2 years 4-5M/per and at least half of the total value guaranteed.  When healthy, I see him as worth at least that much.  But the question always is, can he stay healthy all season long?

Other teams could be looking at Andre too. The NFL is in serious need of offensive linemen...I can actually see someone out bidding the Bengals for Bodine even.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 10:17 PM)Synric Wrote: Other teams could be looking at Andre too. The NFL is in serious need of offensive linemen...I can actually see someone out bidding the Bengals for Bodine even.

Could see that with Andre as well and would not go too high anyway or give a longterm contract. Nothing over 2 years and would try to get a 1 year deal if possible. Probably not a chance at that though. 

Yet am fine if it happens with Bodine and forces the Bengals to look seriously at drafting a Center.

Center is more important than the FO takes it I believe. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

I wont comment on what Andre's worth because I really don't know? I do think however that he looked decent compared to the lack of talent on the OL last year. Had we been stacked on the OL, we would probably be screaming not to resign Andre. But until we see what unfolds this year, I think we really have no choice but to resign him if the deal seems fair.

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 08:30 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Have always been lukewarm with Andre but he really filled a void for us last year.

I've felt this way as well. Never been a big fan. Probably the flashbacks of him sprinting shirtless prevent me from ever conquering that feeling.

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 10:17 PM)Synric Wrote: Other teams could be looking at Andre too. The NFL is in serious need of offensive linemen...I can actually see someone out bidding the Bengals for Bodine even.

With seemingly a higher percentage of Tackles coming out of college and not being ready to live up to predictions in the NFL, I think the demand for experienced "insurance policy" type of players will be higher than some might think.  

I'm not saying that I think that the Bengals should just throw money at Andre Smith.  But, if they are serious about keeping him around, it might be a good idea to have an agreement on terms before the onset of free agency.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2018, 08:36 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I've felt this way as well. Never been a big fan. Probably the flashbacks of him sprinting shirtless prevent me from ever conquering that feeling.

It's like Whit fell asleep on the plane while Andre was talking to him.

His Baywatch dream of a hot girl running on a beach morphed into a Dre huffing & puffing shirtless nightmare.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote

I am with Ocho, 2 year deal for 7 mil sounds about right. Byron Bell might be better for us though as he worked in Pollack's
system and is younger and stays healthy more often than Andre. Yeah, i would go with Byron Bell instead if we want a RT in
FA. Still have hope for Fisher but we need one of these two as insurance in case the heart problem comes back or he just
doesn't have it.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 10:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know, man.  Getting rid of both would cost less than 2M in "dead cap" and even add a little spendable cash.  Don't be surprised if the Bengals go off the script and pull the plug on one or both of them.

Like yourself, I also see the Bengals drafting a Tackle or two, along with taking a look at whomever in free agency.  One just has to believe that the player personnel department has egg all over their face for drafting both Ogbuehi and Fisher, and neither of them really amounting to much yet.

I'd like to think that's the case, but I doubt it.  The new narrative seems to be that Alexander was the source of the problem and that the shitty players like Ogbuehi, Fisher and Bodine are all going to be fine under Pollack.  I think that's probably false.  These players are shit and it's fairly obvious.  They aren't tough, smart, or overly physical.  

As in the past, I have a feeling that we'll soon see the team employ the time-honored "ride or die" Bengal Way with these turds.  I think they'd rather eat glass than punt early on a first or second round pick.  
Reply/Quote
I don't mind re-signing Andre (not for 3m when he will be out the league if it wasn't for the Bengals), but we don't need to make it a priority in March. We should wait til after the draft to see how it plays out.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 02:10 AM)jj22 Wrote: I don't mind re-signing Andre (not for 3m when he will be out the league if it wasn't for the Bengals), but we don't need to make it a priority in March. We should wait til after the draft to see how it plays out.

But because the Bengals signed him last year, he has another season of play to bargain with..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 02:16 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: But because the Bengals signed him last year, he has another season of play to bargain with..

Which means we will get his best effort this season.

Reply/Quote
I think it's important to re-sign Andre. While I'm not a huge fan of his, Having him on the team means that if Fisher cannot come back and perform at right tackle as a starter, we still have Smith at that position, and he is still very good when healthy. It's just one less position to worry about while we try to find a LT, Center upgrade, etc.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 12:05 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think it's important to re-sign Andre. While I'm not a huge fan of his, Having him on the team means that if Fisher cannot come back and perform at right tackle as a starter, we still have Smith at that position, and he is still very good when healthy. It's just one less position to worry about while we try to find a LT, Center upgrade, etc.

I agree with this.

I'm not a big fan, but I like the idea of having him around as insurance.  I just hope he's willing to accept a contract with a value reflecting that of an aging backup.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 12:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree with this.

I'm not a big fan, but I like the idea of having him around as insurance.  I just hope he's willing to accept a contract with a value reflecting that of an aging backup.

He should feel a little loyalty to Bengals for signing him when nobody else offered and originally making him a top draft pick. 

Yet we all know that will not be the deciding factor if somebody offers more. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote