Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andre Smith: Huge Improvement at Left Tackle
We know how it all started. Remember? Andre Smith at the combine with his massive man-boobs flapping, right? He had some good years with the Bengals at right tackle as well as some underachieving seasons. Andre spent time in Minnesota and Arizona and now he’s back in Cincinnati — at left tackle.

At left tackle Andre is a different player. While he has always been terrific as a run blocker at either position, his pass protection is noticeably better at left tackle. This makes sense because Andre played left tackle with the Crimson Tide and his platform and footwork reflect this. At right tackle his pass protection techniques looked robotic to me but at left tackle his natural instinct comes through.

The Cincinnati offensive line isn’t going to be stellar in 2019 but in pass protection I see a huge improvement already. Jim Turner has a very effective pass blocking technique which forms a pocket, moves the pocket, and sometimes expands the pocket. The run blocking will improve as the season progresses and Andre Smith will be a big part of it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Lets hope!
Reply/Quote
I've always thought Andre was a more natural LT. Just like Jake Fisher was. Albeit Andre was the better prospect. He went 6th overall in the draft.
The NFL combine can be cruel at times. Most recent example is Orlando Brown who has become starter material.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 12:29 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: We know how it all started.  Remember?  Andre Smith at the combine with his massive man-boobs flapping, right?  He had some good years with the Bengals at right tackle as well as some underachieving seasons.  Andre spent time in Minnesota and Arizona and now he’s back in Cincinnati — at left tackle.

At left tackle Andre is a different player.  While he has always been terrific as a run blocker at either position, his pass protection is noticeably better at left tackle.  This makes sense because Andre played left tackle with the Crimson Tide and his platform and footwork reflect this.  At right tackle his pass protection techniques looked robotic to me but at left tackle his natural instinct comes through.

The Cincinnati offensive line isn’t going to be stellar in 2019 but in pass protection I see a huge improvement already.  Jim Turner has a very effective pass blocking technique which forms a pocket, moves the pocket, and sometimes expands the pocket.  The run blocking will improve as the season progresses and Andre Smith will be a big part of it.

Andre dropped a bunch of weight during the off-season.  He's down to around 320 from 350+.  That's going to help him with his quickness.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 12:29 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: We know how it all started.  Remember?  Andre Smith at the combine with his massive man-boobs flapping, right?  He had some good years with the Bengals at right tackle as well as some underachieving seasons.  Andre spent time in Minnesota and Arizona and now he’s back in Cincinnati — at left tackle.

At left tackle Andre is a different player.  While he has always been terrific as a run blocker at either position, his pass protection is noticeably better at left tackle.  This makes sense because Andre played left tackle with the Crimson Tide and his platform and footwork reflect this.  At right tackle his pass protection techniques looked robotic to me but at left tackle his natural instinct comes through.

The Cincinnati offensive line isn’t going to be stellar in 2019 but in pass protection I see a huge improvement already.  Jim Turner has a very effective pass blocking technique which forms a pocket, moves the pocket, and sometimes expands the pocket.  The run blocking will improve as the season progresses and Andre Smith will be a big part of it.

Love this FIK. Some were bad mouthing Andre when we brought him back and it pissed me off.

Dude was the best out there and he is a great run blocker. Nice hearing he feels so much more comfortable at LT.

Right where we need a good run blocker cause Glenn is a cupcake in this aspect.

Glenn might not get his starting spot back.
Reply/Quote
I'm loving it!

Do you think this makes Mixon draft able in the second round of fantasy football drafts?

I'm sitting at the sixth spot and might go Kelce in the first (or Hopkins or Adams, still not sure), but do you think our line will block well enough for Mixon to produce a big season?

He doesn't need all that much blocking because of his vision, patience, and explosiveness, but will he put up big enough numbers to justify a pick in the second round?

I know he has the talent, but will the line get it done?
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 02:37 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'm loving it!

Do you think this makes Mixon draft able in the second round of fantasy football drafts?

I'm sitting at the sixth spot and might go Kelce in the first (or Hopkins or Adams, still not sure), but do you think our line will block well enough for Mixon to produce a big season?  

He doesn't need all that much blocking because of his vision, patience, and explosiveness, but will he put up big enough numbers to justify a pick in the second round?

Definitely helps with Andre on the Line but it is hard to tell from this vanilla Preseason.

But heck, Mixon led the AFC in rushing last season with probably a worse run blocking O-line.

I would draft Mixon in the 2nd no question.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 02:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Definitely helps with Andre on the Line but it is hard to tell from this vanilla Preseason.

But heck, Mixon led the AFC in rushing last season with probably a worse run blocking O-line.

Good points!  

The improved coaching, play calling, and game management will all also help Mixon's numbers.

Do I take Kelce in the first or do I pass and hope to land a sleeper like OJ Howard?  Should I also avoid taking Mahomes as early as I want if I do that?
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 02:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Definitely helps with Andre on the Line but it is hard to tell from this vanilla Preseason.

Being in Cincinnati with all but one person in this draft being from Cincinnati, I wonder if he'll last that long.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 02:37 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'm loving it!

Kelce is going second round in most drafts and mocks I have seen. IMO in the first 3 roundslook less at whether its a WR, RB, or TE and more at point production. Go with top talent. A high end RB will most likely outscore kelce. You wont regret kelce, but you will miss out on top RB talent.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 03:26 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Good points!  

The improved coaching, play calling, and game management will all also help Mixon's numbers.

Do I take Kelce in the first or do I pass and hope to land a sleeper like OJ Howard?  Should I also avoid taking Mahomes as early as I want if I do that?

Think both Dalton and Mixon have a big year under this new entourage.

I would take Mahomes if he is there in the first, dude is special and should have another big year barring injuries.

But if Mahomes isn't there I would take Kelce in the first. Than Mixon in the 2nd.

(09-02-2019, 03:27 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Being in Cincinnati with all but one person in this draft being from Cincinnati, I wonder if he'll last that long.

Sure makes you want to reach when your FF guys are all from Cincy.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 03:29 PM)pdub2005 Wrote: Kelce is going second round in most drafts and mocks I have seen. IMO in the first 3 roundslook less at whether its a WR, RB, or TE and more at point production. Go with top talent. A high end RB will most likely outscore kelce. You wont regret kelce, but you will miss out on top RB talent.

Kelce is rare, he actually stays stays healthy for a TE.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 03:26 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Good points!  

It depends on your league and it's scoring.  I'm in a .5 PPR  league for work and wound up reaching for Todd Gurley at 8 because RB's were flying off the board.  Mixon went with the first pick in the 2nd and I was lucky DeAndre Hopkins fell to me at #13.  Kelce didn't go until the 3rd.  Mahomes went at #9, but I got Brees in the 8th and Roethlisberger in the 11th.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 03:40 PM)Whatever Wrote: It depends on your league and it's scoring.  I'm in a .5 PPR  league for work and wound up reaching for Todd Gurley at 8 because RB's were flying off the board.  Mixon went with the first pick in the 2nd and I was lucky DeAndre Hopkins fell to me at #13.  Kelce didn't go until the 3rd.  Mahomes went at #9, but I got Brees in the 8th and Roethlisberger in the 11th.

Looking good.
Reply/Quote
I hope this is true. I thought Dre in his prime was one of the best RTs in the league. Never understood why people never seemed to like him.

He looked pretty bad last year when he stepped in for Glenn at the end of the year. Hopefully the weight loss will be what he needs to be more effective.
Reply/Quote
I've always been a quiet fan of Andre Smith. When healthy and motivated, he has always been a top notch player.

It is true that he was a LT for Alabama, but a victim of Whitworth being an excellent LT in his first tour with the Bengals. If he can hold off J Clowney in game one? I say give him a $1M bonus and call the LT position his. When Cordy Glenn gets back to health, let him fight for the LG spot and be the 3rd wheel at Tackle. Cordy's run blocking sucks ass, anyway..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Andre declined pretty much over the past 2 years. If he can even be an average LT, I'd be happy.

He was pretty bad last year with the Cardinals and here.

Some of you guys in the forum are trying to wish into existence the offensive line being good...but the reality is most of the guys are below average or worse.
Reply/Quote
Who would have thought we would be discussing Andre playing for the Bengals again. Especially now,under a new regime at that. I'm glad we have him back though. O-line has taken some massive hits.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 02:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Love this FIK. Some were bad mouthing Andre when we brought him back and it pissed me off.

Dude was the best out there and he is a great run blocker. Nice hearing he feels so much more comfortable at LT.

Right where we need a good run blocker cause Glenn is a cupcake in this aspect.

Glenn might not get his starting spot back.

I won't be shedding any tears if Andre gets the job done and Glenn has no starting position to come back to. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 05:51 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Who would have thought we would be discussing Andre playing for the Bengals again. Especially now,under a new regime at that. I'm glad we have him back though. O-line has taken some massive hits.

He basically has no options around the NFL other than the Bengals. The Cardinals waived him last year.

The Bengals pretty much have no better option too.

It's a match made in mediocrity!
Reply/Quote