Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andre Smith reunion
Apparently Dre Kirkpatrick is letting the cat out of the bag that Andre "Man Boobs" Smith might be coming back here. If he's healthy I'm ok with it, right now I'm in full desperation mode with the line.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't mind it, our line seemed to fall apart after he left. I'm just going to miss big Whit Sad
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
He got abused in Minny last year.....
Reply/Quote
Never wanted him to leave in the first damn place. They just found a "value" in Fisher they felt they couldn't pass up, but it was dumb to take consecutive tackles 1-2 that year. I'd plug Andre right back in as the starting RT and shop Jake Fisher. Hopefully he has some sort of value.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 12:12 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He got abused in Minny last year.....

Different team, different year, only played 4 games. He was fine here and will be fine again.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 12:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Different team, different year, only played 4 games. He was fine here and will be fine again.

I hope so, but really, how much does the RT position change going from one team to the other. Block the pass rusher or block for the run. Doesn't seem like it would change much to me....(but I never played that position so I don't know)
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 12:15 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I hope so, but really, how much does the RT position change going from one team to the other. Block the pass rusher or block for the run. Doesn't seem like it would change much to me....(but I never played that position so I don't know)

Different blocking schemes, new teammates, new opponents. He also could've been playing injured...who knows? Unless injuries have taken a toll, I have confidence in the guy. He certainly never was a turnstile like Ogbuehi.
Reply/Quote
Bring Andre back. I know RT is his position but I always thought he would make a better Guard. Either way it would be an upgrade on the current situation.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 12:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Different blocking schemes, new teammates, new opponents. He also could've been playing injured...who knows? Unless injuries have taken a toll, I have confidence in the guy. He certainly never was a turnstile like Ogbuehi.

No doubt. I'd love to have him back if he's anywhere near his old self. His performance last year makes me wonder... and I wonder what message that sends to Jake, unless they are talking about bringing him in to fill in for Z....
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 12:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Never wanted him to leave in the first damn place. They just found a "value" in Fisher they felt they couldn't pass up, but it was dumb to take consecutive tackles 1-2 that year. I'd plug Andre right back in as the starting RT and shop Jake Fisher. Hopefully he has some sort of value.

I'm not upset that they took 2 tackles in a row because it was planning for the future at a high value spot but it bothers me that they put all of their eggs in Ced and Fish's basket before we knew what we had. It's too important of a spot just to give to the guys with no experience.

Fisher and Ced can still pan out and whatever value he would have here as a player (if he pans out.) would be worth more than someone is willing to offer. There's no reason to cut ties with either of them yet it's just tossing away a 1st and 2nd round pick in disgust. We aren't ever gonna be a big player in FA so that's a move we can't afford.
Reply/Quote
[quote pid='356100' dateline='1489245579']
Bring Andre back. I know RT is his position but I always thought he would make a better Guard. Either way it would be an upgrade on the current situation.
[/quote]

If they brought him back - and that is a big if - I can totally see them putting him at guard.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
Funny how Big Dre was oneof the favorite whipping boys of the haters around here for years. Even after he started playing very well it took a lot of people around here a long time to get it. I defended him a lot back then.

Now soem people want him to come back even though his level of play was dropping here and apparently sucked last year with the Vikings. But now I'm not sure I want him back.

But I will trust our coaching staff on this one. They should know better than anyone what his problems are. After his first two years doing not much of anything he was a very good player from '11 through '13. Then he missed the '14 preseason with a concussion and near the end of the regular season had a torn tricep. Then in 2015 he reported to camp thinner and claiming to be in great shape, but he did not seem to play as well as before and he suffered another concussion that year. His play last year was supposedly horrid, but he was injured very early in the season.

But he just turned 30 in January. If he is healthy and PA thinks he can help I would be willing to give it a try. Its not like we have much to lose right now.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 12:27 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I'm not upset that they took 2 tackles in a row because it was planning for the future at a high value spot but it bothers me that they put all of their eggs in Ced and Fish's basket before we knew what we had. It's too important of a spot just to give to the guys with no experience.

Fisher and Ced can still pan out and whatever value he would have here as a player (if he pans out.) would be worth more than someone is willing to offer. There's no reason to cut ties with either of them yet it's just tossing away a 1st and 2nd round pick in disgust. We aren't ever gonna be a big player in FA so that's a move we can't afford.

What was it planning for? They let Andre go because they took Fisher and Ogbuehi. Andre has always been affordable and wanted to stay.

They let him walk because they had to excuse the picks. Now they have to sheepishly admit a mistake and bring him back.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 12:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote:  They let him walk because they had to excuse the picks.

Only the Bengals get ripped for letting a guy walk who ended up being a huge flop for the team that signed him.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 12:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only the Bengals get ripped for letting a guy walk who ended up being a huge flop for the team that signed him.

Fred thinks it was smart to let him go, but also thinks it's smart to bring him back if we do. Got it.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 12:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only the Bengals get ripped for letting a guy walk who ended up being a huge flop for the team that signed him.

Andre is consistent in one area. Flopping or not, he has always been huuuuuuuuuuuuge!
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
I don't really see where this is a good move at all? Seems like a desperate move to try and cover your mistakes and hope some fans get excited about having an accident prone, rapidly declining player from the past rejoin the team. What's he going to do, ride in on a pale horse as if commanded by God to inflict punishment and death to our rivals? Nope, he will come here, look crappy in preseason, start and last 1-2 games max and sit the bench the rest of the year with an injury while the FO pins the failures of the Oline performance on injuries and not effort. Smoke screens people. Nothing but smoke screens!

We would fair much better finding some fat guy who does well at dodge ball at the local YMCA and plugging his ass in there. Wouldn't even matter if he had T-Rex arms. He would probably perform better than the alternative.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I dont want Smith back. The only possible reason I could see him back is at a very low number and as a backup.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 12:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fred thinks it was smart to let him go, but also thinks it's smart to bring him back if we do. Got it.

Fred's just picking fights.  It's his go to.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 12:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: What was it planning for? They let Andre go because they took Fisher and Ogbuehi. Andre has always been affordable and wanted to stay.

They let him walk because they had to excuse the picks. Now they have to sheepishly admit a mistake and bring him back.

For life beyond Whit and Andre. Whit was what 33 when we drafted them? No spring chicken.

When Andre was on top of his weight and committed he was a great tackle but he was a wild card at times. Why do you think 31 other teams passed on him his first go around in FA?

The idea that the Bengals didn't re-sign Smith to excuse the pick is ridiculous Mike and the FO don't give two craps about what the public thinks of their moves and there was nothing to excuse they went with the BPA based off of their bored. I don't remember anybody predicting we'd be in this spot after drafting a tackle in the first 2 rounds back then.
Reply/Quote