Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andre Smith reunion
(03-11-2017, 10:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not sure that it is fair to bring up him playing LT in college.  He often demonstrated that he struggles with speed rushers, when he was a Bengal.  He's pretty good in run blocking, and holds his own in pass pro when a TE is lined up next to him.  Not to mention his propensity to be chronically injured.  The Vikings gave him a fair contract, and got four (4) games of service from him last season.

While the optimist in us might think that bringing in an "evil we know", like Andre Smith, might provide some benefit to the team, in reality it may actually be taking steps backward.

You're on to something here. Andre's inconsistencies led to not being kept previously. Once he got healthy, he played well in chunks. Then he had some off days. My guess is that his physical maladies played into this, plus there were a few times I noticed that he just seemed to take plays off during some games. He lacked a consistent, high motor effort imho. It all added up to time to move on, and I'm not sure bringing him back would be of any significance over Eric Winston and Fisher at this point. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
I think this would be a nice surprise, if true.

Kind of wish there was a good LT out there though...Fisher at RT, while not great, isn't crippling to the Oline.

Ogbuehi at LT is, in fact, crippling to this team.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 10:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not sure that it is fair to bring up him playing LT in college.  He often demonstrated that he struggles with speed rushers, when he was a Bengal.  He's pretty good in run blocking, and holds his own in pass pro when a TE is lined up next to him.  Not to mention his propensity to be chronically injured. 

While the optimist in us might think that bringing in an "evil we know", like Andre Smith, might provide some benefit to the team, in reality it may actually be taking steps backward.

Thank you, Sunset. This is fair criticism. Maybe I'm excited to think the Bengals were thinking of making a move in free agency -- even a questionable one.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 12:23 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Thank you, Sunset.  This is fair criticism.  Maybe I'm excited to think the Bengals were thinking of making a move in free agency -- even a questionable one.

Honestly, I'm good with Fischer at RT.  He's played and improved both of his years on the team.  What the team was not prepared for, was losing LT without a secure plan.  I really think that they are going to put Ogbuehi out there, and let him sink or swim.  They may draft a Tackle, but likely not Cam Robinson. 

If they brought anyone in, on the cheap, one guy makes perfect sense.  As Ochocincos mentioned in another thread, Byron Bell.  He completely fits the mold.  He's a former UDFA, that rose to play LT for the Panthers, flamed out.  Got signed by the Titans, Titans' coaches immediately noticed that he fits well at Guard.  He played well at Guard for Tennessee.  He is a mammoth at 6'5" and 340, very tough in the proverbial "phone booth".  This man can replace Zeitler for about 2M/per, maybe even less.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 12:36 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Honestly, I'm good with Fischer at RT.  He's played and improved both of his years on the team.  What the team was not prepared for, was losing LT without a secure plan.  I really think that they are going to put Ogbuehi out there, and let him sink or swim.  They may draft a Tackle, but likely not Cam Robinson. 

If they brought anyone in, on the cheap, one guy makes perfect sense.  As Ochocincos mentioned in another thread, Byron Bell.  He completely fits the mold.  He's a former UDFA, that rose to play LT for the Panthers, flamed out.  Got signed by the Titans, Titans' coaches immediately noticed that he fits well at Guard.  He played well at Guard for Tennessee.  He is a mammoth at 6'5" and 340, very tough in the proverbial "phone booth".  This man can replace Zeitler for about 2M/per, maybe even less.

This falls into MB's philosophy so it would make sense.

Reply/Quote
Even with all that has been said in this thread I don't recall Andre being bad at pass protection and certainly better at run blocking.

Yeah there were a couple of plays taken off here or there but not even comparable to the horrors witnessed last year at RT.

That all being said... I agree with most of you about LT being the top priority needing to be addressed at this point.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 12:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Never wanted him to leave in the first damn place. They just found a "value" in Fisher they felt they couldn't pass up, but it was dumb to take consecutive tackles 1-2 that year. I'd plug Andre right back in as the starting RT and shop Jake Fisher. Hopefully he has some sort of value.

I could see a scenario where Fisher competes with Ced on the left side, but I can't help but think of a different scenario.  Andre's problem was never run blocking.  Maybe, if the price is right, he could be the starting RG?  He seems to fit that type of position much better than a skinny Ced.  

Then, we would really only have one frightening position on the line, LT.  I know people will say Bodine, but he is miles ahead of Ced.  
Reply/Quote
[quote pid='356100' dateline='1489245579']
Bring Andre back. I know RT is his position but I always thought he would make a better Guard. Either way it would be an upgrade on the current situation.
[/quote]

Beat me to it...And based on the peanuts he signed for in Minnesota for a year at RT, maybe this would fit financially as well. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 06:23 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Smith is an unrestricted free agent.  Hobson wrote yesterday that the Bengals are not signing any unrestricted free agents because it will endanger their precious comp picks.

Well, since the huge losses of Whit and Zeitler, they have also lost Peko and maybe signing Smith for a deal similar to Peko's (sounds reasonable) would just negate that late round compensatory pick.  

They could also still lose Sexy...but I sure hope not.  I want my Sexy back....(It was too easy)
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 11:33 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think this would be a nice surprise, if true.

Kind of wish there was a good LT out there though...Fisher at RT, while not great, isn't crippling to the Oline.

Ogbuehi at LT is, in fact, crippling to this team.

When do CedO play LT?

Just asking because I do not remember him playing this position yet.
Reply/Quote
Actually I want Fisher to start at RT this year and give him some time to see what he has. He was actually coming into his own at the end of last year. Signing Smith is good with me if they want him to play RG in place of Zeitler, or as a backup, but they need to let Fisher play for him to improve. I have faith he will, unlike Ced, who I have little faith in...
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 12:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Actually I want Fisher to start at RT this year and give him some time to see what he has. 

I fully agree. 
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 11:43 AM)spazz70 Wrote: When do CedO play LT?

Just asking because I do not remember him playing this position yet.

Here he is in the Texans game:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000763339/Andy-Dalton-sacked-by-Whitney-Mercilus-for-a-loss-of-8-yards
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 01:55 PM)McC Wrote:  Or how teams that consistently win operate or what the path to a SB really looks like. 

1.  Marvin has  Super Bowl ring.

2.  One tream that has won a lot of Super Bowls is famius for letting older playuers go "a yeaer early instead of a year late".
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 04:38 PM)McC Wrote: Yeah, right.  Why would a business owner care what his customers think?

Does your doctor let you tell him what your diagnosis is and how to treat it?
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 05:55 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote:  Same as before Marvin and Mike don't care about getting players on the field in a timely manner in fact it's the opposite they are fine with letting first round picks ride the pine for years. Nothing is forcing them to put a player out on to the field before they want or need to.

False.  This is just a message board myth.  Marvin plays rookies/high draft picks/young players as much as the average NFL team does. 

See: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Marvin-Lewis-playing-rookies?highlight=marvin 

Like every other coach Marvin usually plays vets because they are usually give the team the best chance of winning.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 12:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Funny how Big Dre was oneof the favorite whipping boys of the haters around here for years.  Even after he started playing very well it took a lot of people around here a long time to get it.  I defended him a lot back then.

Now soem people want him to come back even though his level of play was dropping here and apparently sucked last year with the Vikings.  But now I'm not sure I want him back.

But I will trust our coaching staff on this one.  They should know better than anyone what his problems are. After his first two years doing not much of anything he was a very good player from '11 through '13.  Then he missed the '14 preseason with a concussion and near the end of the regular season had a torn tricep.  Then in 2015 he reported to camp thinner and claiming to be in great shape, but he did not seem to play as well as before and he suffered another concussion that year.  His play last year was supposedly horrid, but he was injured very early in the season.

But he just turned 30 in January.  If he is healthy and PA thinks he can help I would be willing to give it a try.  Its not like we have much to lose right now.
I agree. I don't remember anyone wanting him to be resigned last year. Ced and Jake's play have helped make Andre seem better. I would consider him for OG not RT. That position is starting to resemble LT as teams are loading up on pass rushers at both Ends. 
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 01:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: False.  This is just a message board myth.  Marvin plays rookies/high draft picks/young players as much as the average NFL team does. 

See: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Marvin-Lewis-playing-rookies?highlight=marvin 

Like every other coach Marvin usually plays vets because they are usually give the team the best chance of winning.

You missed the point I was trying to make and didn't understand the context of my statement.. My point was Marvin and Mike aren't going to buckle and start or bench a player they don't feel is ready simply because they invested a first round and 2nd round pick in that spot.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 10:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not sure that it is fair to bring up him playing LT in college.  He often demonstrated that he struggles with speed rushers, when he was a Bengal.  He's pretty good in run blocking, and holds his own in pass pro when a TE is lined up next to him.  Not to mention his propensity to be chronically injured.  The Vikings gave him a fair contract, and got four (4) games of service from him last season.

Hey, being pretty good in run blocking is an upgrade Sunset.

After what has happened lately bringing in Andre could not be a step backward. He can play RT, RG and LT and from what we
have seen of Og we need insurance. Even if it is not top notch insurance, it is something. I think Andre would be an upgrade in
the running game at RG = step forward.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 12:36 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Honestly, I'm good with Fischer at RT.  He's played and improved both of his years on the team.  What the team was not prepared for, was losing LT without a secure plan.  I really think that they are going to put Ogbuehi out there, and let him sink or swim.  They may draft a Tackle, but likely not Cam Robinson. 

I would be happy with Byron Bell at RG.

As much as i liked the Westerman pick we need someone more polished for PA to work with.

Might of already ruined the man.
Reply/Quote