Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andre Smith to Arizona
(03-14-2018, 07:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Eh, Bodine is more of a "week 3" sort of free agent prospect.  Bengals know this, and likely have a low value contract offer extended to him.  Once he "tests the waters", they know he'll be more than happy to play for next to nothing.

As long as we draft a Center I'm OK with Bodine getting a cheap deal. Even a highly drafted center may not start week 1 (though yes, Bodine did) so I'd let them have an honest competition in pre-season. Ultimately I think Bodine could be a great backup with us. We know he can snap the ball to Dalton without fumbling the handoff and he knows the playbook and adjustments. His blocking is terrible but maybe it would be better if he had to come in for a short stretch due to injury or what have you. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 11:08 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: As long as we draft a Center I'm OK with Bodine getting a cheap deal. Even a highly drafted center may not start week 1 (though yes, Bodine did) so I'd let them have an honest competition in pre-season. Ultimately I think Bodine could be a great backup with us. We know he can snap the ball to Dalton without fumbling the handoff and he knows the playbook and adjustments. His blocking is terrible but maybe it would be better if he had to come in for a short stretch due to injury or what have you. 

All i think anyone wants is a fair competition. Never had one with PA, Bodine was just the starter cause he was PA's guy.

This won't happen under Pollack, so yeah, completely agree BF that i would not be upset with a cheap backup Bodine.

Just draft one of the top Centers and alls well.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 09:55 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well fisher is healthy
Bobby hart and Glenn are new OT's

I think we still grab an OT but maybe a project in the 3rd.

It's kind of unfortunate that Pollack won't really get much of a chance to see what he's got until after the draft.  Can they even put on pads in the April workouts?  This has got to make his job tougher.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 07:34 PM)McC Wrote: It's kind of unfortunate that Pollack won't really get much of a chance to see what he's got until after the draft.  Can they even put on pads in the April workouts?  This has got to make his job tougher.  

I was thinking the samething a couple of days ago. I even stated I wouldn't think about resigning Bodine till after the draft. You could get 3 guys already better then him.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 07:34 PM)McC Wrote: It's kind of unfortunate that Pollack won't really get much of a chance to see what he's got until after the draft.  Can they even put on pads in the April workouts?  This has got to make his job tougher.  

Makes it tough moving to a new coaching job in the NFL that is for sure.

Kind of wish new coaches could work with their new guys a bit to know what they have.

Who knows though, could backfire...

Guess this could be a form of cheating i don't know.

(03-15-2018, 07:38 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I was thinking the samething a couple of days ago. I even stated I wouldn't think about resigning Bodine till after the draft. You could get 3 guys already better then him.

Should wait a long time, no hurry with Bodine at all.
Reply/Quote

There aren't any April workouts; first workouts are a week after the draft, aren't they>
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 07:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Somebody will sign him. Hell 5 teams signed Eric Ghiaciuc after we let him walk. 

As to the OP: Good on Andre. Dude gave us all he had. 

Damn right he did.  And he was a lot better tackle than most people on here ever gave him credit for.  He still firmed that position up for us even last year.  And he's better right now than any right tackle on our roster. Yes, he had his foibles, but this dude is good with me, and he's a damn good football player.
Reply/Quote
I always liked Andre Smith. I wish him nothing but the best. Hopefully we'll do an open competition for RT with Fisher, Og, Hart, and a draft pick. 

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 09:17 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: Damn right he did.  And he was a lot better tackle than most people on here ever gave him credit for.  He still firmed that position up for us even last year.  And he's better right now than any right tackle on our roster. Yes, he had his foibles, but this dude is good with me, and he's a damn good football player.

Agree on Andre doing a great job last year, would of took him back too on a one year deal. He plays good on one year deals.

History shows you give Andre a multiple year deal, he slacks off till the deal is on its last year.

(03-15-2018, 09:25 PM)Bryan Wrote: I always liked Andre Smith. I wish him nothing but the best. Hopefully we'll do an open competition for RT with Fisher, Og, Hart, and a draft pick. 

Bet we will under Pollack. Just like every position on the O-line.

Glenn - Boling sure looks to be the weak side and i love it.

TJ Johnson/Westerman at Center right now...

Redmond/Westerman/Hopkins at RG...

Fisher/Hart at RT right now...

Edit: the only reason i don't list Westerman ahead of TJ Johnson and Redmond is cause he is more of a natural LG. We will see about Center.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 08:56 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: There aren't any April workouts; first workouts are a week after the draft, aren't they>

There are April workouts. Teams with new head coaches can start April 2nd. Teams with returning coaches, like us, start April 16th. It's just strength and conditioning workouts. I believe the coaches can't be in contact with the players.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 01:33 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: There are April workouts. Teams with new head coaches can start April 2nd. Teams with returning coaches, like us, start April 16th. It's just strength and conditioning workouts. I believe the coaches can't be in contact with the players.

Understood, I gotcha.

I thought he meant football workouts; that wouldn't happen until after the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 08:56 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: There aren't any April workouts; first workouts are a week after the draft, aren't they>

April 16---Clubs with returning head coaches may begin offseason workout programs.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 09:46 AM)McC Wrote: April 16---Clubs with returning head coaches may begin offseason workout programs.

Mhm, as I wrote above; I was under the impression that you meant padded practices and the like.

They are just getting together for a bit of S&C, which I was already aware of :)
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 09:58 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Mhm, as I wrote above; I was under the impression that you meant padded practices and the like.

They are just getting together for a bit of S&C, which I was already aware of :)

Right.  So Pollack is pretty well handcuffed when it comes to seeing what he's got before the draft.

Reply/Quote
Pollack is not handcuffed by not getting to see his players practice. He has miles of game tape to watch, and see what they do in actual games against actual competition. He can tell far more from that than he can a padded practice. He will focus on Bodine's game tapes, figure out what he's doing wrong, and will know if he's fixable on day 1 of practice.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 11:10 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Pollack is not handcuffed by not getting to see his players practice. He has miles of game tape to watch, and see what they do in actual games against actual competition. He can tell far more from that than he can a padded practice. He will focus on Bodine's game tapes, figure out what he's doing wrong, and will know if he's fixable on day 1 of practice.

How does that tell Pollack if Bodine do things the way he wants him to?

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 01:33 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: There are April workouts. Teams with new head coaches can start April 2nd. Teams with returning coaches, like us, start April 16th. It's just strength and conditioning workouts. I believe the coaches can't be in contact with the players.

Would Bodine participate in those workouts, technically he is a FA? 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 10:33 AM)McC Wrote: Right.  So Pollack is pretty well handcuffed when it comes to seeing what he's got before the draft.

(03-16-2018, 11:23 AM)McC Wrote: 100%
How does that tell Pollack if Bodine do things the way he wants him to?
Exactly!
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 07:19 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Give me a center and T with the first two picks, and I'm drivin' down to your place - first keg and slab of ribs on me !!

I'm closer...... Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I hope Andre does well in the desert, he may have graded bad by PFF last season, but he played both T spots, and really bailed our ass out.  It could have, and would have, been much worse without him.  He had some good years here.....best of luck big man.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote