Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andrew Hawkins Thanks Bengals Fans
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/07/25/andrew-hawkins-thanks-bengals-fans/509580001/

Dear Cincinnati,

Much like every other Cincinnati Bengals fan, I can remember praying and hoping for the days of Bengals’ playoff games. As a middle schooler with an older brother who started at cornerback for the team, I can remember giving myself pep talks throughout the week. I would urge myself to be mindful of my behavior at home and in school in hopes that God would reward our team on enough Sundays to see that Hawkins (Artrell) jersey dawn the field of a Bengals playoffs game. As the years went by and my hope wavered, I came to what I thought was the realization that my prayer went unanswered. Up until Saturday Jan 7, 2012, I had completely forgotten about the entire notion. On that day the Cincinnati Bengals traveled to Houston to take on the Texans in the first round of the NFL playoffs and I remember stepping on the field, as tears streamed down my face, realizing that God decided way back then that it would be me wearing the Hawkins jersey that graced a Bengals’ playoff game.

Today, my football career comes to an end. Although my name may be but a blip in the History of WhoDey, I am still in awe that my dream came true. Special thank you to Mike and Nancy Brown who have always treated my family as their own. Thank you to Katie and Troy Blackburn, Paul Brown, Duke Tobin and Marvin Lewis for believing in me from the start and giving this little Bengals fan the opportunity to represent his childhood team. I count it as an incredible honor to be a football descendant of the Godfather of football himself, Mr. Paul Brown. Thank you to my coaches and teammates who I was blessed to battle alongside and share some incredible times and memories (Aj Green and Andy Dalton once called me the best basketball player they’d ever witnessed.)

Lastly, I want to personally thank the Cincinnati media members and ALL of the Cincinnati Bengals fans for treating me like a NATIve son of the city and supporting me through thick and thin. Cincinnati will forever be home and I will be a Bengal until the day I’m gone. THANK YOU CINCINNATI, the pleasure was all mine.

– Baby Hawk

(Andrew Hawkins)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wow, that is one classy man right there. Rock On

Sometimes i forget that his big brother was Artrell Hawkins. I still remember that play against the Browns, one of the coolest
plays i have witnessed, dude was frickin' blazing fast in the open field. Was hoping we were able to re-sign him and him staying
a Bengal but he had to go for the dough.

Cannot help but wonder if his career might not be over if he stayed in stripes.

You are awesome Baby Hawk, God bless. Cool
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 04:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wow, that is one classy man right there. Rock On

Sometimes i forget that his big brother was Artrell Hawkins. I still remember that play against the Browns, one of the coolest
plays i have witnessed, dude was frickin' blazing fast in the open field. Was hoping we were able to re-sign him and him staying
a Bengal but he had to go for the dough.

Cannot help but wonder if his career might not be over if he stayed in stripes.

You are awesome Baby Hawk, God bless. Cool

It's not that he left for more money. The Browns gave him an offer sheet and the Bengals declined to match it. Offer sheets are always more money than the tenders. The Bengals most likely would've kept Hawk for an extra $700k, or received a 2nd round pick. Whether we extended him or not is a different story, but Hawk would've stayed for at least one more season.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 04:34 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: It's not that he left for more money. The Browns gave him an offer sheet and the Bengals declined to match it. Offer sheets are always more money than the tenders. The Bengals most likely would've kept Hawk for an extra $700k, or received a 2nd round pick. Whether we extended him or not is a different story, but Hawk would've stayed for at least one more season.

Surprised we didn't match it honestly, not like he was a slouch for us. Dude made plays as a Bengal.

Then his career went to die in Cleveland cause of injury...
Reply/Quote
Classy guy for sure. Was a fan of him here and think he would have done extremely well here. He did well in Cleveland for one year.

He was always thankful for his opportunities, never bad mouthed the team, and still talked to numerous Bengals fans on twitter.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
No Thank Him !

Classy guy and great that he got to see at least some of his dreams come true. Good luck to him in whatever else comes along.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 04:34 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: It's not that he left for more money. The Browns gave him an offer sheet and the Bengals declined to match it. Offer sheets are always more money than the tenders. The Bengals most likely would've kept Hawk for an extra $700k, or received a 2nd round pick. Whether we extended him or not is a different story, but Hawk would've stayed for at least one more season.

It was money.. if you remember his offer sheet was a bit high for the type of WR he was for i believe 3 years.. it was smart let him walk and to think he is already out of football now reinforces the smart move by FO office on his extension
Reply/Quote
If memory serves me right.. Cleveland gave him a 3 year deal that in 1st year his salary with bonus i believe went from 1/2 million to like 5 million plus 2 more years on contract.. No way I would have invested that much in Hawkins and now that he is out of football i think it shows a smart move by Bengals . I like Hawkins but at the time we had Jones and Sanu and no way would I have put that much money into Baby Hawk
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 06:46 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: It was money.. if you remember his offer sheet was a bit high for the type of WR he was for i believe 3 years.. it was smart let him walk and to think he is already out of football now reinforces the smart move by FO office on his extension

Still liked the guy a lot and wanted him to stay here.

What he says here kind of reinforces this and it is really cool when a Bengal fan becomes a Bengal player and does well.

Sucks he had to become a Brown, i would of taken the lesser money lol
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 06:52 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: If memory serves me right.. Cleveland gave him a 3 year deal that in 1st year his salary with bonus i believe went from 1/2 million to like 5 million plus 2 more years on contract.. No way I would have invested that much in Hawkins and now that he is out of football i think it shows a smart move by Bengals .  I like Hawkins but at the time we had Jones and Sanu and no way would I have put that much money into Baby Hawk

That's pretty much why we couldn't match or at elast didn't.

Classy guy Hawkins...   With nothing but nice things to say about the brown family.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 04:05 PM)kdgjr Wrote: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/07/25/andrew-hawkins-thanks-bengals-fans/509580001/

Dear Cincinnati,

Much like every other Cincinnati Bengals fan, I can remember praying and hoping for the days of Bengals’ playoff games. As a middle schooler with an older brother who started at cornerback for the team, I can remember giving myself pep talks throughout the week. I would urge myself to be mindful of my behavior at home and in school in hopes that God would reward our team on enough Sundays to see that Hawkins (Artrell) jersey dawn the field of a Bengals playoffs game. As the years went by and my hope wavered, I came to what I thought was the realization that my prayer went unanswered. Up until Saturday Jan 7, 2012, I had completely forgotten about the entire notion. On that day the Cincinnati Bengals traveled to Houston to take on the Texans in the first round of the NFL playoffs and I remember stepping on the field, as tears streamed down my face, realizing that God decided way back then that it would be me wearing the Hawkins jersey that graced a Bengals’ playoff game.

Today, my football career comes to an end. Although my name may be but a blip in the History of WhoDey, I am still in awe that my dream came true. Special thank you to Mike and Nancy Brown who have always treated my family as their own. Thank you to Katie and Troy Blackburn, Paul Brown, Duke Tobin and Marvin Lewis for believing in me from the start and giving this little Bengals fan the opportunity to represent his childhood team. I count it as an incredible honor to be a football descendant of the Godfather of football himself, Mr. Paul Brown. Thank you to my coaches and teammates who I was blessed to battle alongside and share some incredible times and memories (Aj Green and Andy Dalton once called me the best basketball player they’d ever witnessed.)

Lastly, I want to personally thank the Cincinnati media members and ALL of the Cincinnati Bengals fans for treating me like a NATIve son of the city and supporting me through thick and thin. Cincinnati will forever be home and I will be a Bengal until the day I’m gone. THANK YOU CINCINNATI, the pleasure was all mine.

– Baby Hawk

(Andrew Hawkins)

So awesome!
Reply/Quote
He made the right decision for himself going to Cleveland and getting paid & the Bengals made the right decision also. Always liked Babyhawk......
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 06:51 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: So awesome!

It is isn't it? Every Bengal fan needs to see this. Cool

(07-26-2017, 06:55 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: He made the right decision for himself going to Cleveland and getting paid & the Bengals made the right decision also. Always liked Babyhawk......

True and so did i, he had some wheels. Smirk
Reply/Quote
I dont fault him for leaving us for the Browns, but he did play his best football here.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
A classy guy indeed.Good luck in the future babyhawk.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 04:05 PM)kdgjr Wrote: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/07/25/andrew-hawkins-thanks-bengals-fans/509580001/

Dear Cincinnati,

– Baby Hawk

(Andrew Hawkins)

Class act.

I know we have a lot of MB haters, but at every turn lately I see players who love him!
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2017, 11:50 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Class act.

I know we have a lot of MB haters, but at every turn lately I see players who love him!

I think pretty much all of us know he is a good man.

Just wish he would do some things different.
Reply/Quote
Classy response from a class act.

Also, was I the only one who liked the "Hawk Sound" that would play at PBS every time he caught a pass? I sensibly chuckled each time.
Reply/Quote
Was super bummed when Hawkins walked. Defenses have to respect the dude on the slant/drag because his next level speed and agility. Hawkins was missed and he's a classy dude for sure, but I'm sure well all forget about Hawkins once Ross gets in a couple of plays on game day.
Reply/Quote
Talk about being classy. Always liked Baby Hawk, even after he left. The video of him 'kicking out' his son for still loving Marvin Jones after he was a Brown made me crack up. I hope he finds nothing but happiness and success in life after football.
Reply/Quote