Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andrew Hawkins....
(05-08-2016, 05:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yup, pretty much this.

Hawkins is a known quantity, we know he can put up 500-800 yards against NFL talent. Even if you like Alford's potential, what is it that you could realistically expect him to become? Hawkins. So while Alford's ceiling is probably Hawkins, which is floor is Quan Cosby... so why not just take Hawkins outright if it's a choice?

dang dude Quan Cosby name drop... But i like the way you guys think
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2016, 11:42 AM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Rather have Alford and give him a shot at this point. Also I think Hue likes Hawkins so he could stick for them to be a mentor for Coleman.
I never got the young guy over old reliable guy mindset for teams close to winning a ring

Giving guys a shot is something you do when your 4-12. We all know what Hawkins has so if he came cheap I don't see why we would choose Alford over Hawkins
Reply/Quote
Why did Hawkins never become a return man? He seems to have the perfect skill set for a punt return man. His biggest plays were made with yards after the catch.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 10:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Why did Hawkins never become a return man?  He seems to have the perfect skill set for a punt return man.  His biggest plays were made with yards after the catch.

I seem to remember this as a topic of convo, when Hawkins was on the team.  I think I read in a Hobson article that he had no desire to be a return man.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 10:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Why did Hawkins never become a return man?  He seems to have the perfect skill set for a punt return man.  His biggest plays were made with yards after the catch.

Not everyone can be a return guy
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2016, 12:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Cleveland drafted 5 WRs... so theres a chance he will be available soon... Would you want him back?

Of course i would. Always liked the Baby Hawk. Good depth for us if one of the rookies is not as good as we think they are right now.

The Receiving core could improve over last year...

Green, Eifert, Lafell, Boyd, Core, Alford, Russell, Kumerow, Gio, Kroft, Hewitt, etc.

Lot of good options for Dalton man, adding Hawkins would be cool too for even more competition.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 12:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Of course i would. Always liked the Baby Hawk. Good depth for us if one of the rookies is not as good as we think they are right now.

The Receiving core could improve over last year...

Green, Eifert, Lafell, Boyd, Core, Alford, Russell, Kumerow, Gio, Kroft, Hewitt, etc.

Lot of good options for Dalton man, adding Hawkins would be cool too for even more competition.

a package with AJ Eifert.. Hawkins and gio... as receivers with hill or Hewitt in the backfield makes an interesting prospect.  Of course Hawkins has to get let go first.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 12:38 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: a package with AJ Eifert.. Hawkins and gio... as receivers with hill or Hewitt in the backfield makes an interesting prospect.  Of course Hawkins has to get let go first.

Imagine the speed with a 4 WR set of Green, Hawkins, Core and Alford? Shocked
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 11:56 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Not everyone can be a return guy

This is true.  Especially punt returns.  Many times the defenders are right on top of you when you are trying to make the catch.  It takes a good amount of courage and concentration to just field a punt cleanly.

But I bet Hawkins will give it a try when he is struggling to just make a roster.  He had elite vision and change-of-direction skills.  He was electric with the ball in his hands.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 12:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Imagine the speed with a 4 WR set of Green, Hawkins, Core and Alford? Shocked

its nice heck even tate has some good speed down the field.    (ducks out of the room)
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 10:37 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I seem to remember this as a topic of convo, when Hawkins was on the team.  I think I read in a Hobson article that he had no desire to be a return man.

If it was written by Hobson, there's real good odds that it was a propaganda lie. Can't be going and giving Tate competition for his job.  Ninja

(05-13-2016, 12:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Imagine the speed with a 4 WR set of Green, Hawkins, Core and Alford? Shocked

Annnnd... the ghost of Al Davis has now possessed Nate.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Absolutely. He's not really a TD machine by any means, but he's a solid contributor and player.

I mean, in 2014 with Hoyer and Manziel as QBs he had 824 yards. That's not bad at all when looking at the talent around him.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
With the changes to kickoff rules, why does this team care about return men so much?
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2016, 02:36 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: The ones that dont have lengthy concussion histories. And/or the ones that dont miss half a season because of concussions.

I guess we better cut Burfict then  Hilarious
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Side note... all this Hawkins talk makes me remember. Anquan Boldin is still a FA. I would sign the hell out of him before anyone else. Not sure if it's his salary demands or something that's leaving him out there (shouldn't be just only based on his age), but that guy is still producing and can be the possession receiver that Dalton has never had. Heck, that the Bengals haven't had since Housh left.

Reply/Quote
No thanks,we have no need for a slot guy,he doesn't return,and when he was here he dissapeared in most the games and Dalton couldn't find him. Sure his cuts was nice anad pretty,but if you can't get him the ball then? Id rather the taller receivers for Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2016, 10:54 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Side note... all this Hawkins talk makes me remember. Anquan Boldin is still a FA. I would sign the hell out of him before anyone else. Not sure if it's his salary demands or something that's leaving him out there (shouldn't be just only based on his age), but that guy is still producing and can be the possession receiver that Dalton has never had. Heck, that the Bengals haven't had since Housh left.

They drafted Tyler Boyd for that. Dropped 10 passes on 184 catchable balls between 2014 and 2015.

The thing this team still lacks is speed. Hawkins would provide that.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2016, 02:44 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote:
They drafted Tyler Boyd for that.
Dropped 10 passes on 184 catchable balls between 2014 and 2015.

The thing this team still lacks is speed. Hawkins would provide that.

Sure, and who could possibly teach a rookie how to play the position better than Anquan Boldin?

I'm just really hesitant to get fired up by AJ, another Patriots Brandon, a couple rookies, a 7th round pick, and a guy coming off microfracture knee surgery as the WR corps. Boldin would make one hell of a tutor/safety net/reassurance.

Givings rookies playing time to learn and find out what you have is great and all, but less so when your team has legit SB aspirations.

Reply/Quote
(05-14-2016, 09:05 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I guess we better cut Burfict then  Hilarious

Well Burfict is already here and isnt currently under contract with another team. Kind of a difference.

Keep dreaming about a tiny midget with a glass brain.

Burfict has at least played in 16 games in a season and produced at an elite level. Two think the glass midget has never done.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2016, 05:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sure, and who could possibly teach a rookie how to play the position better than Anquan Boldin?

I'm just really hesitant to get fired up by AJ, another Patriots Brandon, a couple rookies, a 7th round pick, and a guy coming off microfracture knee surgery as the WR corps. Boldin would make one hell of a tutor/safety net/reassurance.

Givings rookies playing time to learn and find out what you have is great and all, but less so when your team has legit SB aspirations.

I love Boldin and had we signed him instead of LaFell, I wouldn't have complained one bit. That said, I don't see why you're lumping LaFell in with Brandon Tate. LaFell's worst season is better than Tate's best. I really think the people who are sleeping on LaFell are in for a surprise. I fully expect 700+ yards out of him with some big plays mixed in - unless Boyd can somehow take the starting gig.

As for Boyd, I have full confidence that this coaching staff won't rely on him unless he's ready. Our coaches seem to be pretty good about that, so I doubt Boyd embarrasses himself this year. Plus it's not like he's some late round nobody. 

He was one of the top 5-6 WR prospects in this draft and we seem to be planning to use him in similar ways to how he was used at Pitt. I'm pretty confident that he can replace or exceed Sanu's 390 yards and 0 TDs.

I doubt Boldin would sign on to be a 4th option, and if we started Boldin over LaFell, then LaFell would probably be pretty ticked considering he was promised a specific role when he signed. You'd also be pushing Boyd further down the chart and limiting his snaps. He needs to learn on the field.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote