Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Andrew Luck 2.0
Ive been saying this (among others) since Burrow's rookie year, that with the continuous horrible offensive line in front of Burrow that he will follow Andrew Luck's footsteps. Well he's been knocked out of a season 50% of his time in the NFL. The continuous hits to him is going to add up and just increases the odds for one of those hits to take him out.

I don't understand this front office. It's the equivalent of buying a Lamborghini and leaving it unlocked in a parking lot in the worst neighborhood thinking it will be fine....nobody will steal it!

This offseason they need to HIRE a competent offensive line coach and straighten this problem out once and for all or Burrow's career in Cincinnati will be very short lived.
Reply/Quote
Why do people always bring up Andrew Luck? He is one QB out of hundreds that has taken a beating over their NFL careers. Also the rules protect the QB alot more than they did even 5 or 6 years ago so the hits they are taking aren't nearly as violent because defenders are pulling up more now due to the penalty.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I agree they have to do something different. Pollack needs let go. We need significant upgrades at LG, maybe even C/RG. Probably not resigning Jonah so need a new RT as well. They can't keep trotting this same OL out next year.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
Well we tried. We brought in Orlando brown JR. there was a reason chiefs fans were excited to be rid of him. I saw he’s ranked like 48th out of 64 tackles this year.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 05:07 PM)Garrus Wrote: I agree they have to do something different. Pollack needs let go. We need significant upgrades at LG, maybe even C/RG. Probably not resigning Jonah so need a new RT as well.  They can't keep trotting this same OL out next year.

I think this is all true, and yet, with the money required and the time, what you've described just seems like a multi-year project and it doesn't seem like we have that kind of time, or resources. Perhaps I'm too defeatist about this topic but I feel almost like absent a few small changes, our line is our line for the time being. 

Although an option I suppose would be to hope we land Harrison, Jr. and then you have more time for an explosive receiver to pair with Joe while we rebuild that line. But I just don't see it being any sort of quick fix. And the longer we do run Burrow out there behind these guys the faster our window seems to close.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
Another Andrew Luck 2.0 thread. Joy.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 05:06 PM)Synric Wrote: Why do people always bring up Andrew Luck? He is one QB out of hundreds that has taken a beating over their NFL careers. Also the rules protect the QB alot more than they did even 5 or 6 years ago so the hits they are taking aren't nearly as violent because defenders are pulling up more now due to the penalty.

Also, it's a little known fact that Luck destoryed his shoulder during snowboard accidents. The most significant of his injuries werent even football related. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 05:56 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Also, it's a little known fact that Luck destoryed his shoulder during snowboard accidents. The most significant of his injuries werent even football related. 

That’s what I came to say.

Unless Burrow picks up snowboarding I think he will be around awhile
Reply/Quote
Yall see the utility of a rant thread now
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 05:07 PM)Garrus Wrote: I agree they have to do something different. Pollack needs let go. We need significant upgrades at LG, maybe even C/RG. Probably not resigning Jonah so need a new RT as well.  They can't keep trotting this same OL out next year.

(11-17-2023, 05:07 PM)ochocincoftw Wrote: Well we tried. We brought in Orlando brown JR. there was a reason chiefs fans were excited to be rid of him. I saw he’s ranked like 48th out of 64 tackles this year.

Does the team want/need glass eaters, or athletic guys who can handle speed?
Typically, you don't get someone who can do both.

I feel like the scheme dictates the need for an athletic guy, but Pollack has preferred bigger dudes who can't get out of a phone booth and get manhandled one-on-one.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I agree with the premise but don't agree with the Luck comparison. Never did. Andrew Luck had his own value system and was never fully committed to the abuse that came with the game. Nothing wrong with that either. But he always had another life no matter how badly the draft community craved to turn him into the next Peyton or the next Elway. if he were still in the league he'd probably be doing darkness retreats with Aaron Rodgers hehe

Joe Burrow is a football nut. A masochist to some extent. More a boxer than an engineer and that makes all the difference.

Bengals still need to protect him, tho. And he needs to protect himself. His mind won't chase him out of his league like Luck's did, but his body might.
Reply/Quote
Burrow won’t give up. He’s not going to retire. Luck at least did the team a solid and took them out of groundhogs day with his constant…… dings. Dings that derailed seasons and training camps, and made it hard to trust his availability. The best ability.

We’ll be stuck in the loop of season ending injuries here and there derailing seasons throughout Burrows career before it ends. That’s what we have to look forward to worrying about given him only able to finish 2 seasons so far.

If only he had 1 more second to see Chase down the right sideline. When you get there you just have to win it….

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

So basically we need an entirely new offensive line. This is year 4 with Burrow and it’s still a l a disaster 
Reply/Quote
Well I guess don’t eat up a quarter of the salary cap if you want to be surrounded by better players. His cap numbers haven’t hit yet, but the Bengals already can’t commit to a lot of high value 3-5 year deals. I understand that’s what the position pays now, but that’s a choice Joe made.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Andrew Luck liked to play it like Lamar Jackson, but he lacked the body to take the hits... half of Luck's misfortunes were of his own undoing.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2023, 03:12 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Andrew Luck liked to play it like Lamar Jackson, but he lacked the body to take the hits... half of Luck's misfortunes were of his own undoing.

Luck was 6'4, 240...... his non-football injuries didnt help. He also was not 1000% football obsessed like Burrow.

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 05:02 PM)GodFather Wrote: Ive been saying this (among others) since Burrow's rookie year, that with the continuous horrible offensive line in front of Burrow that he will follow Andrew Luck's footsteps. Well he's been knocked out of a season 50% of his time in the NFL. The continuous hits to him is going to add up and just increases the odds for one of those hits to take him out.

I don't understand this front office. It's the equivalent of buying a Lamborghini and leaving it unlocked in a parking lot in the worst neighborhood thinking it will be fine....nobody will steal it!

This offseason they need to HIRE a competent offensive line coach and straighten this problem out once and for all or Burrow's career in Cincinnati will be very short lived.

I don;t understand fans that can't figure out QBs go down for even with all the rules changes for prolonged periods every year and like it or not some QBS with soso lines seem to stay healthy, Same Howell been sacked 47 times this year could break 76 sack record this year vs Burrow 24, actually Burrow avg. was on pace to have under 40 sacks for the 17 games best of his career yet he got hurt.. I think we can start to question durability as a player with all the issues he has had regardless of having a line not playing up to what we would want.
Reply/Quote
Those sack numbers may be true but Burrow still takes way too many hits even when he gets a pass off and those hits aren't counted as a sack. It only takes that one hit which we saw Thurs nite. Didn't Clowney stampede right past Williams for that nasty hit?
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2023, 01:28 AM)jj22 Wrote: Burrow won’t give up. He’s not going to retire. Luck at least did the team a solid and took them out of groundhogs day with his constant…… dings. Dings that derailed seasons and training camps, and made it hard to trust his availability. The best ability.

We’ll be stuck in the loop of season ending injuries here and there derailing seasons throughout Burrows career before it ends. That’s what we have to look forward to worrying about given him only able to finish 2 seasons so far.

If only he had 1 more second to see Chase down the right sideline. When you get there you just have to win it….

Which he didn’t have because management didn’t improve the o line despite the disaster in the year before the Super Bowl

Getting a top 10 o line has to be the priority going forward. This obviously includes paying to get a top and new o line coach.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 05:02 PM)GodFather Wrote: Ive been saying this (among others) since Burrow's rookie year, that with the continuous horrible offensive line in front of Burrow that he will follow Andrew Luck's footsteps. Well he's been knocked out of a season 50% of his time in the NFL. The continuous hits to him is going to add up and just increases the odds for one of those hits to take him out.

Good for you!!!! Somebody get this man a donut!!!
Reply/Quote