Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andrew Luck Retiring?
(08-25-2019, 12:35 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: He should have made this decision before the start of training camp. Totally screwed the team and fans.

For all we know he did and Irsay told him to wait and see if he changed his mind,  etc knowing that Luck would face the blowback either way. The fact that he did his retirement announcement in a t shirt 30 minutes or so after it was announced during a pre-season home game was just surreal.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wow I understand when alot of different positions retire early but QB has to be the rarest. The Colts still have to pay him in 2019 too...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 01:24 AM)Synric Wrote: Wow I understand when alot of different positions retire early but QB has to be the rarest. The Colts still have to pay him in 2019 too...

they can get $12 million of his signing bonus back

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
As the song goes, Another one bites the dust.. 
I get why he quit. Pain sucks regardless of how much money is involved. I was pretty much forced to quit working. The unrelenting pain just saps your energy after awhile leaving not much left in the tank. While it's not very convenient for Indy Luck on the other hand walks away with millions still in his bank account. I quit with nothing in the bank and not even a place to live at the time.. Good luck to Luck I guess..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Dude had been through quite a few injuries. Likely this latest one just happened to be the tipping point. [Image: 30fcb4d9689b81473f0ce73b5cb5425f.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Where's ColtsFan4Ever? I'd love to see his reaction to this.

Reply/Quote
I feel bad for all involved a great career cut short.
However I don't get the thinking that Andrew is brave for making this decision. It seams like he gave into the negative thoughts and the rehab process destroyed him. So instead not fighting through it he gave up.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 03:25 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: a great career

[Image: 38war0.jpg]

Career.. 
60.8% Completion
7.2 YPA
89.5 QB Rating.
29-26 record outside of his division.

Playoffs:
4-4 record
56.4% Completion
12 TD/13 INT
6.9 YPA

He was a good QB, don't get me wrong, but he's been overrated since Day 1. If you were shown his stats with no indication of who he was, you wouldn't call him "great".

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 01:55 AM)pally Wrote: they can get $12 million of his signing bonus back

They're letting him keep it all.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Major bummer for fans of the Colts. I'll admit I never followed Luck much but what I did see of him he seemed like a pretty decent person. It's too bad his last memory walking off an NFL field is getting booed as I'm sure he would have much more preferred his last walk to the locker room was to cheers and applause. I imagine walking away from a sport he dedicated a significant part of his life to and leaving tons of money on the table was not an easy decision.

I think it is kind of shitty that the media leaked it during the game instead of Luck announcing it on his own terms. But at the same time reporters get paid to break stories as well. I guess there is some kind of ethical debate to be had there. But media and ethics is not something often paired, especially these days.

Overall, I think it is kind of refreshing to see an NFL player as prominent as he is to choose his health over fame and money. There are a lot of stories about NFL players living in constant pain and having mental health issues. I'm sure when people are throwing millions of dollars at you to ignore it and continue playing in the short term it seems like a good idea. But these guys have a good half century or so to live after football, the majority of their lives, and I suppose people like Luck that leave early are investing in that by leaving the money on the table. Of course he has already made enough that he would never have to work again if he chooses. But something tells me he would have rather made less and walked off the field carrying a Lombardi instead.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 03:34 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: 38war0.jpg]

Career.. 
60.8% Completion
7.2 YPA
89.5 QB Rating.
29-26 record outside of his division.

Playoffs:
4-4 record
56.4% Completion
12 TD/13 INT
6.9 YPA

He was a good QB, don't get me wrong, but he's been overrated since Day 1. If you were shown his stats with no indication of who he was, you wouldn't call him "great".

He took a bunch of bad teams to the playoffs. I don't know how many QBs could have made that situation work like Luck did.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 06:25 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He took a bunch of bad teams to the playoffs. I don't know how many QBs could have made that situation work like Luck did.

They weren't bad. They blatantly tanked as hard as they possibly could to get him with the first pick.

2009: SB Appearance
2010: Playoffs
2011: Tanked Hard For #1 Pick
2012: Playoffs
2013: Playoffs
2014: Playoffs

Luck's rookie year he was throwing the ball to Reggie Wayne (possible HoF'er), TY Hilton (4x Pro Bowler), and Coby Fleener (solid TE).

Their defense was t-9th in sacks, t-6th in INT, and 3rd in FF his rookie year... they had Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney (both future HoF'ers) and 2x Pro Bowler Vontae Davis at CB, 3x Pro Bowler Antoine Bethea at S.

Also a future HoF kicker in Adam Vinatieri.

- - - - - - - - - -

Guy comes onto a team where he gets to play with 4 future Hall of Famers (3 guaranteed, one probable).

Don't confuse how hard they intentionally tanked in 2011 to get him with what that team actually was. 2 years removed from a SB appearance.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Looks like Luck was huge luck for Jacoby Brissett. He just went from backup to signing a 2 year 30 million dollar contract with 20 million guaranteed. Brissett was entering the fourth and final year of his rookie deal, set to earn $2 million in 2019.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote