Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Andrew Whitworth
Don't get me wrong, Whitworth is one of my favorite players on the team.

Do you see the Bengals re-signing him for 2017 and beyond?

I say yes if they can move him back to LG. He's 35, so a move like that makes sense to me. But I don't know if they have a replacement ready at LT.
Reply/Quote
Who do you replace him with at LT? And to move him to Guard would presumably mean that you let Zeitler go?

If it comes down to Whitworth of Zeitler...you retain Zeitler. I'd still be down with playing Whitworth at Tackle still.
Reply/Quote
Just about have to resign him with the other options we have on the o-line.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We need him back to play LT. Ogbuehi should get some action these last couple games at LT to see if there is a glimmer of hope he can become a decent player.

I'm not so sure he plays another year though. At 35 I could see him retiring.
Reply/Quote
As much as it pains me to say this, let him walk.  See if he can get on with New England or somewhere where he has a legit shot at a ring, the man deserves it.  Screw this completely inept and Bungaling franchise, if they have any class at all, they let Big Whit take a chance at a championship.  It sure as shit ain't happening here with Son of Paul and Mediocre Marv & His Merry Band of Tenured Bums.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 03:14 PM)Wyche Wrote: As much as it pains me to say this, let him walk.  See if he can get on with New England or somewhere where he has a legit shot at a ring, the man deserves it.  Screw this completely inept and Bungaling franchise, if they have any class at all, they let Big Whit take a chance at a championship.  It sure as shit happening here with Son of Paul and Mediocre Marv & His Merry Band of Tenured Bums.

Wyche, you truly have a way with words.  Ever considered journalism??
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 02:38 PM)GreenDragon Wrote: Don't get me wrong, Whitworth is one of my favorite players on the team.

Do you see the Bengals re-signing him for 2017 and beyond?

I say yes if they can move him back to LG. He's 35, so a move like that makes sense to me. But I don't know if they have a replacement ready at LT.

Why would you even consider moving him to guard when he is rated the #2 Left Tackle in the game right now? People are getting too hung up on age. He's lost weight and improved technique and is playing the best football of his life, and you want to move him?
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 03:16 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Wyche, you truly have a way with words.  Ever considered journalism??

LMAO LMAO :andy:

Reply/Quote
He should stay a Bengal for life.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 03:14 PM)Wyche Wrote: As much as it pains me to say this, let him walk.  See if he can get on with New England or somewhere where he has a legit shot at a ring, the man deserves it.  Screw this completely inept and Bungaling franchise, if they have any class at all, they let Big Whit take a chance at a championship.  It sure as shit ain't happening here with Son of Paul and Mediocre Marv & His Merry Band of Tenured Bums.

Hate to agree but deep down in I do.

This franchise is never going to do what it will take to turn this sinking ship around in time for Whit to see any success.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 03:24 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Hate to agree but deep down in I do.

This franchise is never going to do what it will take to turn this sinking ship around in time for Whit to see any success.

That's where I am, Whit is all class, and all hustle, he deserves a shot.......ain't happenin' here.  I would REALLY hate to lose him, but I like Big Whit, and I hate to seem him waste what's left of his excellence wallowing in such mediocrity here.

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 03:28 PM)Wyche Wrote: That's where I am, Whit is all class, and all hustle, he deserves a shot.......ain't happenin' here.  I would REALLY hate to lose him, but I like Big Whit, and I hate to seem him waste what's left of his excellence wallowing in such mediocrity here.

I see and understand both sides of this.  It really boils down to what Whit wants.

I know it's hard to believe anyone would be content knowing, at the career twilight, that the chance for a ring is slim, but it really depends on the player and the 'off the field' stuff.

I can see the logic of, well, yes, there are other teams that have a better chance for a ring, but nothing is guaranteed.  I like the community where I live and the off the field things I am involved in and prefer to retire here unless they tank me.

The other thing to consider is how many contending teams are a an offensive lineman away from a championship??
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 03:34 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I see and understand both sides of this.  It really boils down to what Whit wants.

I know it's hard to believe anyone would be content knowing, at the career twilight, that the chance for a ring is slim, but it really depends on the player and the 'off the field' stuff.

I can see the logic of, well, yes, there are other teams that have a better chance for a ring, but nothing is guaranteed.  I like the community where I live and the off the field things I am involved in and prefer to retire here unless they tank me.

The other thing to consider is how many contending teams are a an offensive lineman away from a championship??

Yes, by all means, if Whit wants to stay, you do what it takes to make that happen.  If you don't there's nothing to you.  

You don't have to be a player away from a SB to take a flyer on a player this good.  NE didn't need the Ocho, but they took a shot anyway.

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 03:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Why would you even consider moving him to guard when he is rated the #2 Left Tackle in the game right now? People are getting too hung up on age. He's lost weight and improved technique and is playing the best football of his life, and you want to move him?

He is the oldest tackle in the league. Age is a very real concern. 

I am afraid it won't be a slow decline. It will be a cliff.  
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 03:28 PM)Wyche Wrote: That's where I am, Whit is all class, and all hustle, he deserves a shot.......ain't happenin' here.  I would REALLY hate to lose him, but I like Big Whit, and I hate to seem him waste what's left of his excellence wallowing in such mediocrity here.

I hope that Mike Brown poses the question to Whit directly, and honor what he wants to do. Go for a ring or retire a Bengal? It would totally be Whit's call on my team. He's earned that respect.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 03:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes, by all means, if Whit wants to stay, you do what it takes to make that happen.  If you don't there's nothing to you.  

You don't have to be a player away from a SB to take a flyer on a player this good.  NE didn't need the Ocho, but they took a shot anyway.

I have nothing to verify this on, and I only 'think' I remember hearing this somewhere, but I thought I saw a quote somewhere that Whit stated he wanted to retire a Bengal. 

I know Green said as much and I think Whit also said it.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 03:58 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I hope that Mike Brown poses the question to Whit directly, and honor what he wants to do. Go for a ring or retire a Bengal? It would totally be Whit's call on my team. He's earned that respect.

Absolutely. :andy:

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 04:08 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I have nothing to verify this on, and I only 'think' I remember hearing this somewhere, but I thought I saw a quote somewhere that Whit stated he wanted to retire a Bengal. 

I know Green said as much and I think Whit also said it.

Then you make that happen if there is anything to you at all.

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 03:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Why would you even consider moving him to guard when he is rated the #2 Left Tackle in the game right now? People are getting too hung up on age. He's lost weight and improved technique and is playing the best football of his life, and you want to move him?

Age. He's 35 now.
Reply/Quote
I think he has two solid years left at LT, there are no better plans on the current roster that is for sure. While making future plans is a must, Whit has not been the problem with this Oline this year, until he is, we can shelf the topic. What I would like to see is them draft a Cam Robinson, give him 1-2 years to backup Whit. Then I would like to see Whit stick around and replace Alexander as the Oline coach. Never gonna happen, but a guy can dream.
Reply/Quote