Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Andrew Whitworth named all pro
Good. Wish nothing but the best for the big guy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 03:24 PM)Wyche Wrote: Oh....I agree, but it's Whit, we knew what we had, and we let him go.  I mean, he was playing at that level here, just not getting the pub, and if he HAD slipped off in his play, how much worse could it have been than what we trotted out there?

Whit could've played with his back to the LOS and blocked better than Og.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 06:01 PM)McC Wrote: Whit could've played with his back to the LOS and blocked better than Og.

Lol.  Except that may be true Sad
Reply/Quote
Congratulations to Big Whit! And, good luck in the post season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 03:24 PM)Wyche Wrote: Oh....I agree, but it's Whit, we knew what we had, and we let him go.  I mean, he was playing at that level here, just not getting the pub, and if he HAD slipped off in his play, how much worse could it have been than what we trotted out there?

I don't think Mike Brown knew what he had in Whit - especially as a loyal person who had given his all for the Bengals.

OR he just outsmarted himself by waiting too long to make Whit an offer that was a low ball offer in terms of the length of contract.   He overestimated Whit's loyalty and underestimated the offensiveness of his offer.   Mr. Brown does know football, but he cannot relate to the player's perspective.

And yes the clock is ticking, but we were entering a narrow window with garbage on the edges.  We just needed to sign him and eat the risk - which was not really all that great.

This was the perennial all pro without the recognition who mentored our players - new and old - and protected our QB like no one else on the team ever did.   He would be a hall of famer if he had played for one of the big name franchises.

CONGRATS TO YOU WHIT.   YOU'RE A CLASS ACT AND YOU DESERVE THIS
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 03:44 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The Dre Kirk money should have been given to Whit. This was one of the biggest mistakes the Bengals made in recent years...and thats saying a lot.

No doubt.  Dre K's is extremely overpaid.  I get he is many years younger than Whitworth but he is not a top-tier corner.

He is what he is.  All you have to do is look at the impact of WJIII compared to Dre K.  One makes plays on the ball while the other does not - but he does celebrate more than anybody when the receiver he is covering does not catch the ball, regardless of whether he made the difference or not.  

WJIII is going to break the bank when his contract is up because he is actually a really good ball skills corner.
Reply/Quote
Take a trip down memory lane . . .

http://www.thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Anyone-notice-whit-s-poor-play-yesterday?highlight=Whitworth

Too funny.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 02:06 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Take a trip down memory lane . . .

http://www.thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Anyone-notice-whit-s-poor-play-yesterday?highlight=Whitworth

Too funny.

That was just somebody trying to ease the frustration and disgust over losing him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
well just F me

and F Mike Brown
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Whit played at an all pro level in Cincy but never got there because he played in Cincy. If he played all those years that way anywhere else they’d be calling him “future HOFer Andrew Whitworth”.
Reply/Quote
Andrew Whitworth is an all time great Bengal and an absolute freak of nature. I hope he continues to do well!

I don't blame the Bengals in not resigning him for that much money at his age and moving on with a first round draft pick. It's just what had to be done (especially without a crystal ball). I blame the 1st round draft pick for not being good at his job.

In the NFL you have to play players for what you project them TO do, not what they've already done. At Whit's age, he is defying the odds and as a business I'm not sure the Bengals could have safely predicted that. Jones and Anderson fell off with age/injury - so I can see the Bengals trepidation. Good on Whitworth and I'm pulling for the Rams to win the NFC.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 04:24 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Whitworth was AP already in 2015. Should've been so in 2011, 2012 and 2014 as well (ESPECIALLY '14, as that was his legendary year of 8 pressures surrendered, no sacks, 1 hit, 7 hurries, in over 1000 snaps).

All this and he wasn't even named to the PB, further proving its jokeness.

He should have had more PB and All Pro selections and that 2014 year was superb.

Class act and I'm very happy for him but I genuinely don't think he deserved 1st team all pro this year...he was starting to give up pressures/sack later in the year - apparently he's carrying an injury so that probably explains it.

Again hope him and Zim meet in the conference championships
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 11:23 AM)sonofstat Wrote: He should have had more PB and All Pro selections and that 2014 year was superb.

Class act and I'm very happy for him but I genuinely don't think he deserved 1st team all pro this year...he was starting to give up pressures/sack later in the year - apparently he's carrying an injury so that probably explains it.

Again hope him and Zim meet in the conference championships

That's fine!

He's still deserving of a PB though, even if not the AP.

Still remember my thread on the mothership about how Oniel Cousins twice gave up more pressures in 1 game, than Whitworth had in the entire season.

A legendary year.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 09:08 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Whit played at an all pro level in Cincy but never got there because he played in Cincy. If he played all those years that way anywhere else they’d be calling him “future HOFer Andrew Whitworth”.

If he plays out the rest of his contract at this level, he'll be in the Hall.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 11:35 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: No doubt.  Dre K's is extremely overpaid.  I get he is many years younger than Whitworth but he is not a top-tier corner.

He is what he is.  All you have to do is look at the impact of WJIII compared to Dre K.  One makes plays on the ball while the other does not - but he does celebrate more than anybody when the receiver he is covering does not catch the ball, regardless of whether he made the difference or not.  

WJIII is going to break the bank when his contract is up because he is actually a really good ball skills corner.
Agree. 

WJ3 plays in one series against the Packers n gets a pick 6. Watches the rest of game only to see pacman n Dre get picked on again n again.  If Marvin doesn't start WJ3 this year he needs to be put down.   For his own good.  Kinda like my American bulldog .
Reply/Quote
Congrats to Whit. Will definitely be rooting for the Rams to win tonight.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 09:08 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Whit played at an all pro level in Cincy but never got there because he played in Cincy. If he played all those years that way anywhere else they’d be calling him “future HOFer Andrew Whitworth”.

Yup. Him and Corey would be shoe-ins for the HoF, but unfortunately they spent a large chunk of their careers playing in Mike Browns franchise. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote

Should have been in stripes for life. Good luck to him. 
Reply/Quote
Good luck to big Whit tonight. Hopefully he gets that LONG overdue playoff win!

Reply/Quote
All I can say is why didn't he play that well when he was with the Bengals?

It's his first All Pro award in all his years so why did it take him this long to get there?

Answer - Paul Alexander

Let's just hope with a new OLine Coach, the Bengals will be better now.
Reply/Quote