Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andrew Whitworth on Bengals deal
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/andrew-whitworth-bengals-offer

Interesting read. I thought the Bengals were offering just as much as everyone else, but I guess they decided to low ball him. Not that it matters now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My understanding was the Bengals offered close to the same money per year, but only offered 2 years instead of 3.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2020, 01:13 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/andrew-whitworth-bengals-offer

Interesting read. I thought the Bengals were offering just as much as everyone else, but I guess they decided to low ball him. Not that it matters now.

A well cataloged mistake by the Blackburns. The article is spot on about this being a key part to the Bengal's demise. The OL has not been the same since and went from a top 5 unit to the bottom of the pack in no time at all.

I guess we should now know what a competitive offer means in Troy Blackburn's mind.

I'm just wondering if Whitworth plays out his next 3 years at a decent level of play, will he become a HoF candidate. He's been an iron man.

Reply/Quote
Here's the disturbing thing about all this. Not only were the Bengals the only team that did not make an offer in the same ball park as any other team, but the ones orchestrating this are the future of the front office.

It took the guy we all vilify around here to at least get one more contract out of him.

For years I have hoped that Katie and Troy were the future - better thinkers not stuck in an "old school" paradigm void of critical thinking and a clear perception of the reality.

Other successful teams move on from established players. They just seem to know when it's time to move on and when their player still has the right stuff.

This was a disturbing incident.

This year has been encouraging. I hope they know how to build on the foundation of their off season moves.
Reply/Quote
One thing to consider is that Whit is an anomaly. Most of the time you want to be like BB in NE and move on from players before they lose ‘it’...

Data indicates that due to his age, years in the league at the position that it would be wise to move on sooner than later. However, Whit is a HoF level talent... wrong player to take the logical approach on.
Reply/Quote
Thank God for the constant reminders. Where we we be without them?

Is there a stopwatch on how long it's been since this old ground was traveled and therefore must be dredged back up again? Is it marked on a calendar? The clock surely must be ticking on Jonathan Joseph. And Carson Palmer must be ready to come back up again. And it has to be way past time for Akili Smith to come back up for rehashing.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2020, 03:54 PM)McC Wrote: Thank God for the constant reminders.  Where we we be without them?

Skiing in Switzerland, I assume.
Reply/Quote
Geeze, these ex-Bengals are like crazy old girlfriends who are mad because you are moving on without them.
Reply/Quote
The guy is my favourite player EVER and this was a misstep by the team... but each and every one of you bashing the team, is running on hindsight.

The fact is that he is the ONLY LT in the league, who has played to his age, in the past... what was it, 10 years? And at that high a level? He's been better than Willie Roaf and (arguably) Jonathan Ogden were at that same age.

As well, regardless of their output until that point, we had our top 2 draft picks from the draft 2 years prior, ready and willing to go (if PA is not the loudmouth baby that he turned out to be, I think he'd've had significantly less-pull than what he did and our two picks would NOT have been seen as the future).

From a business and practicality standpoint AT THE TIME, this was NOT a bad move and the majority of you have to realize it.

In hindsight, the team made a terrible mistake and I don't doubt for a second, that they'd take it back if given the chance.

But a lot of you need to get the **** over it.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2020, 04:23 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: The guy is my favourite player EVER and this was a misstep by the team... but each and every one of you bashing the team, is running on hindsight.

Wasn't he the one who we were ready to move on from when we drafted Ogbuehi and he said that we just used our first round pick on a backup?  Oy, we were so smug that we were going replace over-paid old Whit with an ultra-talented draft pick.  Ah well...fool me once and all that.

To think, there was a small window of time where crappy ol' Ced was at the top of the hill...and then football started.
Reply/Quote
Lets hope they've learned from their mistake.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2020, 04:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Wasn't he the one who we were ready to move on from when we drafted Ogbuehi and he said that we just used our first round pick on a backup?  Oy, we were so smug that we were going replace over-paid old Whit with an ultra-talented draft pick.  Ah well...fool me once and all that.

To think, there was a small window of time where crappy ol' Ced was at the top of the hill...and then football started.

Indeed.

They played the safe/logical/practical card and it has bitten them.

Surely, especially with how his career has gone in LA, Whitworth is over it and bygones are bygones; business is business sometimes, sadly.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2020, 04:46 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Lets hope they've learned from their mistake.

Until they give a big long term deal to a 36 year old player who ends up sucking then you all will be saying they should never do that again.
Reply/Quote
Okay we screwed up. It was also long enough ago that it is time to move on.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2020, 05:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Until they give a big long term deal to a 36 year old player who ends up sucking then you all will be saying they should never do that again.

We had the chance to keep Dalton but noooooooooooooo we had to draft his replacement.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2020, 01:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My understanding was the Bengals offered close to the same money per year, but only offered 2 years instead of 3.

The Bengals only offered him a 1 year deal.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2020, 04:55 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Indeed.

They played the safe/logical/practical card and it has bitten them.

Surely, especially with how his career has gone in LA, Whitworth is over it and bygones are bygones; business is business sometimes, sadly.

But, did they?  They decided to go with Ogbuehi who at that point had spent most of his first year on injured reserve and his second year sucking at RT foreshadowing his future suckiness at LT.

It was the cheap card at one position, but not the safe, logical, or practical card.  The offensive line was so terrible I'd argue the rest of the salary was wasted because they had no hope of being competitive with how bad the O line was.  Not just that year, but for the past three years and the jury is still out on this season.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2020, 06:12 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: But, did they?  They decided to go with Ogbuehi who at that point had spent most of his first year on injured reserve and his second year sucking at RT foreshadowing his future suckiness at LT.

It was the cheap card at one position, but not the safe, logical, or practical card.  The offensive line was so terrible I'd argue the rest of the salary was wasted because they had no hope of being competitive with how bad the O line was.  Not just that year, but for the past three years and the jury is still out on this season.

You have to expect the player to improve and live up to his draft status at some point and again, if PA wasn't around, I doubt that A: Ogbuehi would even be drafted and B: they wouldn't have thrown their eggs into the Ogbuehi basket.

Not giving him the outright blame, but we all know how much pull he had and how much whining he did.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2020, 06:34 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: You have to expect the player to improve and live up to his draft status at some point and again, if PA wasn't around, I doubt that A: Ogbuehi would even be drafted and B: they wouldn't have thrown their eggs into the Ogbuehi basket.

Not giving him the outright blame, but we all know how much pull he had and how much whining he did.

Again, I disagree.  I wouldn't say you expect a player to live up to his draft status at some point especially in light of his play up to that point. The evaluation process doesn't end when they are drafted. There was no reason to believe Ogbuehi would go from struggling at RT in December to being a viable option at LT in September.  In fact, there was every reason to believe he would continue to struggle when moved to LT from RT.
Reply/Quote
I am starting to think Whitworth thing is becoming a second Palmer thing.. It is the past but we keep having threads pop up etc... easy to look back at something that did not work out and say oh we were so wrong... not like we cut him... but maybe had he not talked retirement for a couple years as a Bengal we would have offered him a longer contract.. guess we on here forget about that convenient truth... . hell yes we start to draft his replacement.. i love the man as a player but after talking retirement for past 6 years, i would have moved from him if it was my company.
Reply/Quote