Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andrew Witworth is a generational talent.
He’s not a guy you let go especially when he wanted to stay. Yes, im still mad
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2021, 07:13 PM)Housh Wrote: He’s not a guy you let go especially when he wanted to stay. Yes, im still mad
Dumbest move this franchise ever made.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 12:56 PM)J24 Wrote: Dumbest move this franchise ever made.

Not quite…

[Image: pro-football-super-bowl-xvi-san-francisc...id81801687]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 09:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not quite…

[Image: pro-football-super-bowl-xvi-san-francisc...id81801687]

True
J24

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 12:56 PM)J24 Wrote: Dumbest move this franchise ever made.

Hindsight call; absolutely was not the wrong move at the time and doesn't even rank in the 10 worst moves.

I did the chart/list in JN about a year ago; Whitworth is the ONLY *starting* OT (not even LT) to have played beyond 37, in the past 17 years. There is only one person close to him and that's Jason Peters, who started a rapid decline last year and has fallen of a cliff completely, this year (and get this; he's a year younger than Whitworth too).

On paper, the team made the 100% correct decision. In hindsight and 4 years later, it has proven to be 100% the wrong decision.

And Nicomo is right; losing Walsh was the single-worst thing this franchise ever did, with Cook ending his career being the worst thing to happen to this franchise period, self-inflicted or not.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 03:55 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Hindsight call; absolutely was not the wrong move at the time and doesn't even rank in the 10 worst moves.

I did the chart/list in JN about a year ago; Whitworth is the ONLY *starting* OT (not even LT) to have played beyond 37, in the past 17 years. There is only one person close to him and that's Jason Peters, who started a rapid decline last year and has fallen of a cliff completely, this year (and get this; he's a year younger than Whitworth too).

On paper, the team made the 100% correct decision. In hindsight and 4 years later, it has proven to be 100% the wrong decision.

And Nicomo is right; losing Walsh was the single-worst thing this franchise ever did, with Cook ending his career being the worst thing to happen to this franchise period, self-inflicted or not.
Letting go a HOF LT is a dumbmove. Especially when everyone new there was zero chance Cedric was going to replace him. Hell the dude was benched by Alexander the year before because he was so bad.
J24

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 03:55 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Hindsight call; absolutely was not the wrong move at the time and doesn't even rank in the 10 worst moves.

Totally agree, also the idea the we knew after one season of playing time that Ogbuehi was not going to pan out, also remember we drafted Fisher in 2nd round.. they were the pieces of youth to move on , we did offer Whitworth a year contract hindsight maybe offer him a 2 yr to give more time to see on Ogbuehi and Fisher
Reply/Quote

I disagree it was the right call at the time. 1) Whitworth was still playing at a high level. 2) Ogbuehi hadn’t even been average and would need to make a jump in his level of play to just be adequate. 3) The team was willing to pay Whitworth approximately 10M/1yr. Whitworth signed a deal for $15M guaranteed, $12.5M in year one and $2.5M in year two. It was essentially a 1 year prove it deal for about $2.5M more than the Bengals offered in the first season and if his play fell off the map they could cut him with only $2.5M in dead money in year two. 4) The Bengals had plenty of cap space and they let him walk for a difference of $5M over two years more than what they were willing to pay.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2021, 07:13 PM)Housh Wrote: He’s not a guy you let go especially when he wanted to stay. Yes, im still mad

BS, no one twisted his arm, if he wanted to stay that was up to him. 
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 05:44 PM)J24 Wrote: Letting go a HOF LT is a dumbmove. Especially when everyone new there was zero chance Cedric was going to replace him. Hell the dude was benched by Alexander the year before because he was so bad.

Not sure Whit will make the hall..... there's plenty of great linemen in front of him who haven't
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 12:57 PM)Sled21 Wrote: BS, no one twisted his arm, if he wanted to stay that was up to him. 
They should have franchised him and not let him hit the open market.
(09-30-2021, 12:58 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Not sure Whit will make the hall..... there's plenty of great linemen in front of him who haven't

He is a top 5 LT of his era, plays in a big market, plus he is very media friendly. He will get in.
J24

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 03:02 PM)J24 Wrote: They should have franchised him and not let him hit the open market.

He is a top 5 LT of his era, plays in a big market, plus he is very media friendly. He will get in.

Big Willie is probably THE top tackle of his era, and he's not in.....
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 04:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Big Willie is probably THE top tackle of his era, and he's not in.....

Big Willie played in a different era and wasn't a key player on a team that went to the Superbowl.
J24

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 05:26 PM)J24 Wrote: Big Willie played in a different era and wasn't a key player on a team that went to the Superbowl.

I realize they were in different eras. You said Whit is a top 5 LT of his era, Willie was THE top RT of his era. 
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 05:37 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I realize they were in different eras. You said Whit is a top 5 LT of his era, Willie was THE top RT of his era. 

RT was viewed differently (Right or wrong) in his era.  LT has always been viewed as a core position.
J24

Reply/Quote
Rams are my pick for the super bowl this year. I’d be happy to see Whit get a championship. He deserves it.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 12:58 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Not sure Whit will make the hall..... there's plenty of great linemen in front of him who haven't

If the rams win the super bowl this year that would certainly help. I don’t feel like he was a household name outside of Bengals fans though. Not like Pace or Ogden.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 06:49 PM)J24 Wrote: RT was viewed differently (Right or wrong) in his era.  LT has always been viewed as a core position.

Not enough top tier Left handed QBs
Reply/Quote