Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andy Dalton ain't worth a dime
For years fans on this message forum have argued about Andy Dalton. Some considered him a franchise QB...others thought he was very good but just didn't have the right coach i.e. Marvin. A minority group felt that he wasn't the answer and we needed to move on from him several years ago.

Now that we will draft a legit franchise altering QB, Dalton is on the block. A true tell as to his value will be determined. Every team that had a question at QB has decided Dalton isn't worth anything. Now we sit here and more than likely our supposed excellent QB will be cut.

I still wonder if the people that loved Dalton all these years will continue to make excuses for him, or will they finally come to terms with reality. My guess is the former.

Hope all of you are hanging in there during these difficult times. Stay safe, wash your hands, and keep your distance.
Reply/Quote
I told everyone over and over. Dalton will have to be "cut" not traded and he will not be a starter on opening day 2020.. Seems us in the "Minority" were right all along....Dalton is no good...
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton's value today in a market flooded with more previously full time starting QB's then any free agency period in the league history doesn't prove, or disprove, anything. I have been pretty lukewarm on Dalton over the last few years but this is grasping at straws. The Bears offered us the same deal the Jags took for Foles (according to a Chicago writer) and we didn't accept It appears they'd rather have him as a back up than take a compensatory 4th.
Reply/Quote
The big thing is people don't want to give up a draft pick for a player who is in the final year of his contract and it costing nearly $18 mill.
And it doesn't make sense for Mike Brown to eat up more than a few mill of that contract just to get a Day 3 pick.
So the logical thing is to cut Dalton to free up the cap and then Dalton sign with some team for a new contract.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
IF Dalton is cut he will be picked up by NE in a couple hours...He is better than what they have currently.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 12:32 PM)Au165 Wrote: Andy Dalton's value today in a market flooded with more previously full time starting QB's then any free agency period in the league history doesn't prove, or disprove, anything. I have been pretty lukewarm on Dalton over the last few years but this is grasping at straws. The Bears offered us the same deal the Jags took for Foles (according to a Chicago writer) and we didn't accept It appears they'd rather have him as a back up than take a compensatory 4th.

Which is dumb unless they can restructure that contract. A backup is not worth paying $17.8 mill.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Fake news!

This has nothing to do with AD's worth and more to do with what the Bengals value him versus what other teams are willing to give up in what was a very rich QB market this offseason.

MB is not going to just give AD away. He always values his players more than other teams so it's no surprise teams went another route.

This approach really doesn't do Dalton any favors.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 12:24 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: For years fans on this message forum have argued about Andy Dalton.  Some considered him a franchise QB...others thought he was very good but just didn't have the right coach i.e. Marvin. A minority group felt that he wasn't the answer and we needed to move on from him several years ago.  

Now that we will draft a legit franchise altering QB, Dalton is on the block.  A true tell as to his value will be determined. Every team that had a question at QB has decided Dalton isn't worth anything.  Now we sit here and more than likely our supposed excellent QB will be cut.

I still wonder if the people that loved Dalton all these years will continue to make excuses for him, or will they finally come to terms with reality. My guess is the former.

Hope all of you are hanging in there during these difficult times.  Stay safe, wash your hands, and keep your distance.

Dalton will be cut because his salary is to rich for most teams. A team like the PATS may pick him up after he is cut. 
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 12:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Which is dumb unless they can restructure that contract. A backup is not worth paying $17.8 mill.

The other thing to remember here, all those QB injuries last year opened up a lot of need for starting QB's when the season started. They may be holding out for a Sam Bradford situation since it doesn't look like Andy really has a shot to claim a starting spot as it's currently laid out. I don't get too caught up about the money only because it most likely isn't impacting our spending, as much as people want to think we are waiting to go on another spending spree post Dalton/Dre movement I think we are essentially done.
Reply/Quote
It could be Dalton, it could be timing. The flood of QB options and not trading him at the deadline played a role. They played their hand, and here we are.

Regardless the new era is here. If we don't get a pick from Dalton it just means this thing is going to take another years to get humming. We don't have enough picks to fix it all this year.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 12:58 PM)jj22 Wrote: It could be Dalton, it could be timing. The flood of QB options and not trading him at the deadline played a role. They played their hand, and here we are.

Regardless the new era is here. If we don't get a pick from Dalton it just means this thing is going to take another years to get humming. We don't have enough picks to fix it all this year.

Dalton should have been traded last year, as most of us here suggested. The Bengals over valued Dalton and the league wasn’t going to bite on a trade NOW. He will be cut and they’ll just move on. Nothing they can do about it now. It was just another situation where LOYALTY overrode smart football decisions....Nothing new for this franchise.
Reply/Quote
It's a lot harder to get a big trade for one of our QBs now that Hue Jackson has been expunged from the league.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 01:27 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Dalton should have been traded last year, as most of us here suggested. The Bengals over valued Dalton and the league wasn’t going to bite on a trade NOW. He will be cut and they’ll just move on. Nothing they can do about it now. It was just another situation where LOYALTY overrode smart football decisions....Nothing new for this franchise.

This is more like loyalty to Mike Brown's lazy methods than loyalty to Dalton.  Dalton isn't great, but he sure took a nosedive after 2015 when we started with the cavalcade of crap coaches. 

Dalton looks like an MVP in 2015?  I've got it, let's make Ken Zampese the OC!
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 01:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This is more like loyalty to Mike Brown's lazy methods than loyalty to Dalton.  Dalton isn't great, but he sure took a nosedive after 2015 when we started with the cavalcade of crap coaches. 

Dalton looks like an MVP in 2015?  I've got it, let's make Ken Zampese the OC!

Oh, he was predictably awful? Bill Lazor is our guy!

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 01:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Oh, he was predictably awful? Bill Lazor is our guy!

Ah but Zampese was there for 2 weeks in 2017 so we can't judge Lazor until after 2018.  Whoops, he stunk so let's make his former underling our HC.  Hmm Dalton looks super awful now.  He sucks, get a real QB in here.

Again, I think Burrow is going to be great but he's going to be working with what seems like a sub par staff.
Reply/Quote
How many of you rooted for the Bengals to lose simply to get rid of Andy Dalton? Be honest.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 12:58 PM)Au165 Wrote: The other thing to remember here, all those QB injuries last year opened up a lot of need for starting QB's when the season started. They may be holding out for a Sam Bradford situation since it doesn't look like Andy really has a shot to claim a starting spot as it's currently laid out. I don't get too caught up about the money only because it most likely isn't impacting our spending, as much as people want to think we are waiting to go on another spending spree post Dalton/Dre movement I think we are essentially done.

Also, all the talk from the FO has indicated that they will try to do right by Dalton.  Cutting him after the game of musical chairs has ended and he doesn't have a seat really isn't doing him any favors. Besides, they can potentially trade him during the season or let him walk after the season to get a comp pick. 

We're also at the point in FA where the big money has been thrown out and the people left out there pretty much have to take whatever they can get. They don't need a big chunk of cap room to make moves with.  
Reply/Quote
Cam Newton blows too... MVP my ass. Amirite?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 01:57 PM)jason Wrote: Cam Newton blows too... MVP my ass. Amirite?

He has major injury concerns and this is the first time he can't jet around the country and take physicals. Dalton is super healthy for a 32 year old QB with so many games logged. 
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 01:57 PM)jason Wrote: Cam Newton blows too... MVP my ass. Amirite?

A healthy Cam Newton is a formidable player.  
Reply/Quote