Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andy Dalton ain't worth a dime
Cap wise the Bengals HAVE to make a move on either Andy or Kirkpatrick...Andy is the most obvious choice.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 12:32 PM)Au165 Wrote: Andy Dalton's value today in a market flooded with more previously full time starting QB's then any free agency period in the league history doesn't prove, or disprove, anything. I have been pretty lukewarm on Dalton over the last few years but this is grasping at straws. The Bears offered us the same deal the Jags took for Foles (according to a Chicago writer) and we didn't accept It appears they'd rather have him as a back up than take a compensatory 4th.

It also didn't help on twitter saying all we would take for him is a second round pick...

No way do I keep Dalton around as a backup making 17 mil
Reply/Quote
Quite frankly I would have liked for them to get legit coaches seasons ago, before parting with Dalton.

Oh well that "excuses" ship has apparently sailed.

Let's just hope Smokin' Joe doesn't meet the same fate at an earlier rate.

Zac vs Joe here we go!!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 01:46 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: How many of you rooted for the Bengals to lose simply to get rid of Andy Dalton? Be honest.

Guess that makes us “not real fans” right Andy?

And it wasn’t just to get rid of Dalton, it was to get a potential franchise changing QB in Burrow.

Reply/Quote
My mind isn't closed to idea that Dalton is done, but I still think teams know they can grab him for nothing if we cut him and if we insist on going with an 18 million dollar back up, so be it.  

Then Again, I gave MB a hard time for not taking a 2nd or 3rd for Palmer and he ended up getting a 1st and 2nd for him.  Maybe the planets align again.  We may be banking on the Jags being over 500 and losing Minshew. 
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 01:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ah but Zampese was there for 2 weeks in 2017 so we can't judge Lazor until after 2018.  Whoops, he stunk so let's make his former underling our HC.  Hmm Dalton looks super awful now.  He sucks, get a real QB in here.

Again, I think Burrow is going to be great but he's going to be working with what seems like a sub par staff.
I guess hindsight is a great thing to have........ Yawn
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 01:27 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Dalton should have been traded last year, as most of us here suggested. The Bengals over valued Dalton and the league wasn’t going to bite on a trade NOW. He will be cut and they’ll just move on. Nothing they can do about it now. It was just another situation where LOYALTY overrode smart football decisions....Nothing new for this franchise.

To who?  I wish that, just once, when somebody says this that they also say who he should have been traded to.

It's like when my wife keeps saying over and over again, you should have sold that old work van to somebody instead of just junking it.  But honey, nobody wanted the damn thing.  And then she'll say but still, you should have sold it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
No one is going to trade for Andy Dalton. Also, no one is going to have him as their 18 million dollar backup. He very well might be someone's 8 million dollar backup. But he won't be our 8 million dollar backup. Doing right by him at this point is cutting him so can either go back to Katy and get on with his life or find that backup job. Limbo in no way feels like doing right by him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 02:27 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I guess hindsight is a great thing to have........ Yawn

Being skeptical of Zampese and ZT was foresight.  Don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. 

Foresight also says Burrow should be awesome, so it's not all doom n gloom.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 02:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It also didn't help on twitter saying all we would take for him is a second round pick...

No way do I keep Dalton around as a backup making 17 mil

Me either

Why, on a team with many needs still would you tie up that much salary for a guy to hold a clipboard ? But it seems they're gonna try and hold on to hope.

They'd probably be better off to just to go ahead and cut him and eat whatever the losses are. There's still a few decent free agents left.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 02:37 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Me either

Why, on a team with many needs still would you tie up that much salary for a guy to hold a clipboard ? But it seems they're gonna try and hold on to hope.

They'd probably be better off to just to go ahead and cut him and eat whatever the losses are. There's still a few decent free agents left.

Mike Brown has got to honor his contracts, dagnabbit!
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 12:50 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: Fake news!

This has nothing to do with AD's worth and more to do with what the Bengals value him versus what other teams are willing to give up in what was a very rich QB market this offseason.

MB is not going to just give AD away.  He always values his players more than other teams so it's no surprise teams went another route.  

This approach really doesn't do Dalton any favors.
Agreed.   If we really cared about Andy we could have given him a starting gig in Chicago.   And granted we would be settling for less than we value him, but we have no leverage.   Just the reality of it.   I doubt we get anything more for him than was offered.  And though it would be nice to have him helping Burrow settle in, is it really worth $17mil?
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton isn’t going to accept staying here even under contract it’ll cause problems so it looks like he’s going to be cut. They should’ve took the Bears 4th but they were too greedy so here we are
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
Will someone PLEASE provide actual evidence of this 4th we were offered?? This feels like one of those things the board just picked up and ran with based purely on speculation...

Repeating it enough doesn’t make it true.

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 02:50 PM)3wt Wrote: Agreed.   If we really cared about Andy we could have given him a starting gig in Chicago.   And granted we would be settling for less than we value him, but we have no leverage.   Just the reality of it.   I doubt we get anything more for him than was offered.  And though it would be nice to have him helping Burrow settle in, is it really worth $17mil?

But it's not even necessarily a starting job in Chicago.  It's to be the guy who somehow lights a fire under Trubisky, to be a pawn in Nagy's diabolical game of chicken with the guy they drafted before Nagy got there.  It's a may or may not be a starter situation.  How do we even know it wasn't Andy who didn't want any part of it?

Reply/Quote
TBH I’m not surprised in the least. Make all the excuses you want, but the fact is Dalton hasn’t played well in 4 years. This isn’t a secret, it’s quite well-known. If I’m a fan of an opposing team, Dalton is one of the last free agents I’d want my team to sign
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 01:46 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: How many of you rooted for the Bengals to lose simply to get rid of Andy Dalton?  Be honest.

I rooted for getting the best possible draft pick once the Bengals hit 8 losses. Wasn't necessarily Dalton-related.
If you're not going to the playoffs, you want the best draft pick possible.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 12:24 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: For years fans on this message forum have argued about Andy Dalton.  Some considered him a franchise QB...others thought he was very good but just didn't have the right coach i.e. Marvin. A minority group felt that he wasn't the answer and we needed to move on from him several years ago.  

Now that we will draft a legit franchise altering QB, Dalton is on the block.  A true tell as to his value will be determined. Every team that had a question at QB has decided Dalton isn't worth anything.  Now we sit here and more than likely our supposed excellent QB will be cut.

I still wonder if the people that loved Dalton all these years will continue to make excuses for him, or will they finally come to terms with reality. My guess is the former.

Hope all of you are hanging in there during these difficult times.  Stay safe, wash your hands, and keep your distance.

Epic fail..... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 02:06 PM)Synric Wrote: Cap wise the Bengals HAVE to make a move on either Andy or Kirkpatrick...Andy is the most obvious choice.

Looking at the cap numbers I think we are still good. I haven't seen how Reader's contract hits us year 1 but I think we can still pull it off. The other thing is we have the two mid level exceptions from the new CBA we haven't used yet that can save us a total of 2.5 Million if we were to say restructure one of our veteran's deals.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 02:31 PM)McC Wrote: To who?  I wish that, just once, when somebody says this that they also say who he should have been traded to.

It's like when my wife keeps saying over and over again, you should have sold that old work van to somebody instead of just junking it.  But honey, nobody wanted the damn thing.  And then she'll say but still, you should have sold it.

Hey are you married to my wife too Cool
Reply/Quote