Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andy Dalton ain't worth a dime
[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 03:43 PM)Au165 Wrote: Looking at the cap numbers I think we are still good. I haven't seen how Reader's contract hits us year 1 but I think we can still pull it off. The other thing is we have the two mid level exceptions from the new CBA we haven't used yet that can save us a total of 2.5 Million if we were to say restructure one of our veteran's deals.

The Bengals are at 19.6 without Reader and Alexander contracts. We know Alexander will be 4m being a 1 year drops it to 15.6... that means DJ Readers cap hit has to be less than 4mil for the rookie pool.

The Bengals HAVE to create cap space with either Dre or Andy's contracts. Andy is the most obvious choice.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 12:32 PM)Au165 Wrote: Andy Dalton's value today in a market flooded with more previously full time starting QB's then any free agency period in the league history doesn't prove, or disprove, anything. 

Sure it does. A good QB on the market for a very reasonable price and nobody is interested.  Maybe he's not very good.....
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 03:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I rooted for getting the best possible draft pick once the Bengals hit 8 losses. Wasn't necessarily Dalton-related.
If you're not going to the playoffs, you want the best draft pick possible.

Same here and I never did this before.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 01:27 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Dalton should have been traded last year, as most of us here suggested. The Bengals over valued Dalton and the league wasn’t going to bite on a trade NOW. He will be cut and they’ll just move on. Nothing they can do about it now. It was just another situation where LOYALTY overrode smart football decisions....Nothing new for this franchise.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals did try to trade him last year.  The season was over, Burrow/Tua was within our sights with a chance to move on without the drama.  It's quite possible he was dangled out there last year and there were no bites for the price.  In management's defense, it would be pretty hard to trade a QB who is struggling on a bad team for what they wanted.  I don't think you want to announce that you're dangling your starting QB for a 2nd round pick and getting no bites however. Might as well try again next season.  

Dalton had a nice run while it lasted.  Most don't make it as far as he did for as long as he did.  

Welcome to the world of backups, Andy.  
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 02:37 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Me either

Why, on a team with many needs still would you tie up that much salary for a guy to hold a clipboard ? But it seems they're gonna try and hold on to hope.

They'd probably be better off to just to go ahead and cut him and eat whatever the losses are. There's still a few decent free agents left.

Completely agree, cut the man and hope he finds a decent team is the only option now IMO.

Then grab LB and another O-lineman. Would be more than fine with an end to FA with Ogletree and Daryl Williams.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 04:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Completely agree, cut the man and hope he finds a decent team is the only option now IMO.

Then grab LB and another O-lineman. Would be more than fine with an end to FA with Ogletree and Daryl Williams.

Based on who is still available, this is probably about as good as you'd get. Williams or Hart could probably even slide inside to RG while XSF competes with Jordan for LG.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 04:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Based on who is still available, this is probably about as good as you'd get. Williams or Hart could probably even slide inside to RG while XSF competes with Jordan for LG.

No doubt, just have to hope Ogletree turns his career around as you noted by PFF standards he was worse than Vigil the last
few years. Could be more of the team around him as he looked real good when he was on the Rams and in college.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 02:31 PM)McC Wrote: To who?  I wish that, just once, when somebody says this that they also say who he should have been traded to.

It's like when my wife keeps saying over and over again, you should have sold that old work van to somebody instead of just junking it.  But honey, nobody wanted the damn thing.  And then she'll say but still, you should have sold it.

Colts, Bears, maybe Denver. For a 5th or 6th or 7th rnd Pick. Or even a dozen footballs and a kicking net. Any of those things would be more than what they are going to get now....which is nothing. The possibilities are endless.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 04:49 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals did try to trade him last year.  The season was over, Burrow/Tua was within our sights with a chance to move on without the drama.  It's quite possible he was dangled out there last year and there were no bites for the price.  In management's defense, it would be pretty hard to trade a QB who is struggling on a bad team for what they wanted.   I don't think you want to announce that you're dangling your starting QB for a 2nd round pick and getting no bites however.  Might as well try again next season.  

Dalton had a nice run while it lasted.  Most don't make it as far as he did for as long as he did.  

Welcome to the world of backups, Andy.  

They never tried to trade him...Management flat out said that they were not going to trade any players to make other teams better...They made a mistake...I think they would have and extra 1st or second and 3rd or 4th for Dalton and Green
Reply/Quote
Just saw that Washington gave a 5th round pick to Carolina for Kyle Allen........I wonder if they made a bid for Dalton?
Reply/Quote
[quote pid='847902' dateline='1584995987']
Just saw that Washington gave a 5th round pick to Carolina for Kyle Allen........I wonder if they made a bid for Dalton?
[/quote]

Doubt it...He would probably come in and beat out Haskins....And I am a huge OSU fan
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 05:42 PM)spazz70 Wrote: [quote pid='847902' dateline='1584995987']

Doubt it...He would probably come in and beat out Haskins....And I am a huge OSU fan
[/quote]

Hell, Kyle Allen may well do that!
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 05:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No doubt, just have to hope Ogletree turns his career around as you noted by PFF standards he was worse than Vigil the last
few years. Could be more of the team around him as he looked real good when he was on the Rams and in college.

Uhh...Ogletree only had a PFF rating of 60+ twice in his whole career.
2013 (rookie year) - 63.0
2016 (highest ranked season) - 63.3

He wasn't "real good" when on the Rams either.
The only time he was really good was when he was on an elite Alabama team in college.
And that's why he shouldn't be viewed as a starter.
He won't elevate players around him. He needs everyone else around him to be good in order for himself to play well.

But given all the good guys are gone, there really isn't anyone much better sitting out there still. Vigil and Onwuasor are about on the same level as Ogletree.
In fact, Onwuasor may be the best of the bunch. He's had ratings of 66.5 and 68.0 in 2016 and 2017, both of which were higher than any season Ogletree had.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 05:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Uhh...Ogletree only had a PFF rating of 60+ twice in his whole career.

The only time he was really good was when he was on an elite Alabama team in college.
He won't elevate players around him. He needs everyone else around him to be good in order for himself to play well.

But given all the good guys are gone, there really isn't anyone much better sitting out there still. Vigil and Onwuasor are about on the same level as Ogletree.
In fact, Onwuasor may be the best of the bunch. He's had ratings of 66.5 and 68.0 in 2016 and 2017, both of which were higher than any season Ogletree had.

Didn't he go to Georgia?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 06:01 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Didn't he go to Georgia?

Yes, he did. I must have been thinking of some other LB. The Georgia defense was stacked too though, wasn't it?
Regardless, he hasn't been "good" since college.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 05:06 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Colts, Bears, maybe Denver. For a 5th or 6th or 7th rnd Pick. Or even a dozen footballs and a kicking net. Any of those things would be more than what they are going to get now....which is nothing. The possibilities are endless.

Endless?  Did any of those teams even want him, which is an often overlooked yet critical element of the shoulda, woulda, coulda traded him narrative?

I remain unconvinced by your vague and completely unsubstantiated examples.  I find it odd that not a single one of those scenarios was ever reported even as a rumor last season in today's world where every conceivable minute possibility is plastered all over the internet.

Maybe when I asked for an actual possible trade destination, you read it as me asking can you pull something out of the air.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 05:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Uhh...Ogletree only had a PFF rating of 60+ twice in his whole career.

Probably correct, sometimes I like to use the eye test more than PFF to judge a player though and I liked what I saw from
Ogletree when he was with the Rams. He went to Georgia, not Alabama. Onwuasor is who I am hoping for then. I also really
like Bradham when he has been healthy, problem is he is coming off injury and you cannot work players out right now.

Maybe we can work Bradham out after the Draft when all this virus crap dies down.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 06:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Probably correct, sometimes I like to use the eye test more than PFF to judge a player though and I liked what I saw from
Ogletree when he was with the Rams
. He went to Georgia, not Alabama. Onwuasor is who I am hoping for then. I also really
like Bradham when he has been healthy, problem is he is coming off injury and you cannot work players out right now.

Maybe we can work Bradham out after the Draft when all this virus crap dies down.

You remember someone like Ogletree when he played on a team 3-5 years ago? I sure don't. Maybe I didn't watch enough Rams games, but I don't remember him being good on the Rams.

Honestly, gimme any one of Vigil, Ogletree, or Onwuasor and then take a LB on Day 2 and I think the Bengals can have a serviceable LB group.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 06:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You remember someone like Ogletree when he played on a team 3-5 years ago? I sure don't. Maybe I didn't watch enough Rams games, but I don't remember him being good on the Rams.

Honestly, gimme any one of Vigil, Ogletree, or Onwuasor and then take a LB on Day 2 and I think the Bengals can have a serviceable LB group.

Stands out to me in my memory cause I wanted us to take Ogletree back in the day so I remember watching him specifically when
Rams games were on. Agreed, get one of those guys in here and Draft a LB relatively early and we should be okay. Just hope the 
new LB coach is better than what we have had over the years. Paulie G was the last decent LB coach and he wasn't even that good.
Reply/Quote