Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andy Dalton is Steal (Props to Front Office)
Well, I think I made mention of this during the season. It was an easy call to make, with the way Andy was playing and all. It was time for me to eat a little crow. While I thought they rushed into the contract, it turned out he had become well worth it. It was a fair deal. We bet on Andy and saved a little cash in the process by doing it early. Win-win for everybody. He gets paid, has security, we get a break, and both sides win with incentives. Yada, yada, yada... Toast is a moron, it's a good deal.

Well that good deal became an absolute steal today. Good God, have you guys actually seen Brock Osweilers new deal? 4 years 72 million dollars!!!! 72 million dollars. 18 mil per!!! For Brock ***** Osweiler!!!!

What the hell is going on in this league? I mean, Aaron Rodgers now has to worth a minimum of 45 mil per, right. (Kidding, but I'm not sure 30 is out of line)

Thank God, we got Andy locked up we did. I can't imagine looking at this turd factory of a market that is being created for QB's and paying one of the knob gobblers 15 mil plus. Personally, I'd keep all that money and just pay out to the OL and running game, and that see if you can get a vet for 5 mil and pair with a rookie. Screw this approach.
Reply/Quote
Don't forget Sam Freaking Bradford got 18$ Million a year as well...
Reply/Quote
It's possible to praise Dalton and still be critical of our FO because our GM with a quarter of a century of experience wanted Kapernick and/or Mallett and a first year OC who just came from the Arena League had to talk him into making the right decision. See how fun that is?!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Flacco is the highest paid QB in the league? It's a Cluster**** to say the least. Wow.
Reply/Quote
I said back then that while I initially wanted to wait to sign Andy, I liked the deal.

For one, it looked easy to get out of. Secondly, it was very affordable if you looked at the new deals QB's were signing.

It was pretty obvious the QB market was going up and 16 million was looking like average QB money.

Now look. Andy is making less than Bradford and Osweiler. The Bengals look like geniuses.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Kudos to Katie for negotiating that deal. And for Andy and his people putting team success ahead of dollars.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 06:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's possible to praise Dalton and still be critical of our FO because our GM with a quarter of a century of experience wanted Kapernick and/or Mallett and a first year OC who just came from the Arena League had to talk him into making the right decision.  See how fun that is?!

^^^^^ This

Reply/Quote
Some crazy deals these QB's are getting that is for sure and lots of them like Bradford and Osweiler
seem like terrible reaches. Bradford is made of glass and Osweiler is tall. Right now as i said in the
other thread might be a great time to see what some team might trade for McCarron.

You never know these days...
Reply/Quote
Didn't we give Palmer an extension pretty early in his deal a couple times.

If Dalton has another year like he did in 2015 we will give him a raise.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 06:20 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote:   4 years 72 million dollars!!!!  72 million dollars.  18 mil per!!!  For Brock ***** Osweiler!!!!

(03-09-2016, 06:22 PM)Au165 Wrote: Don't forget Sam Freaking Bradford got 18$ Million a year as well...

Those contracts don't bother me.  It was their time to roll the dice at the starter's table and hit big.

The one that does bother me is Chase Daniel.

$7m/year as a backup QB.  Almost 50% of Dalton's annual haul.

So a good veteran backup should then be able to argue for $10m+ wouldn't you agree?

How long will Andy be cool with that concept, only making $5mil more than a backup QB?
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 06:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Some crazy deals these QB's are getting that is for sure and lots of them like Bradford and Osweiler
seem like terrible reaches. Bradford is made of glass and Osweiler is tall. Right now as i said in the
other thread might be a great time to see what some team might trade for McCarron.

You never know these days...

So we can have a season like the Cowboys had?

Hell, Dalton was the iron man at QB of our division and still had a season ending injury.  But you're comfortable getting rid of the capable backup?
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 07:23 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Those contracts don't bother me.  It was their time to roll the dice at the starter's table and hit big.

The one that does bother me is Chase Daniel.

$7m/year as a backup QB.  Almost 50% of Dalton's annual haul.

So a good veteran backup should then be able to argue for $10m+ wouldn't you agree?

How long will Andy be cool with that concept, only making $5mil more than a backup QB?

That's the one that stood out to me as well. Osweiler has started and played fairly well.

Now Chase freaking Daniel? The guy who once backed up Brees and is actually shorter than him? The guy who has bounced to 3 different teams starting 2 games with 1 TD pass? 7 million for THAT? Who exactly were the Eagles competing with for his services?

I used to think Chip Kelly was behind all the dumb moves in Philly, but now I'm starting to wonder. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 11:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's the one that stood out to me as well. Osweiler has started and played fairly well.

Now Chase freaking Daniel? The guy who once backed up Brees and is actually shorter than him? The guy who has bounced to 3 different teams starting 2 games with 1 TD pass? 7 million for THAT? Who exactly were the Eagles competing with for his services?

I used to think Chip Kelly was behind all the dumb moves in Philly, but now I'm starting to wonder. 

There's such a "short-circuit the process" mentality in the NFL right now. Coaches and GMs get hired and have very little time to put a winning team together. No time to develop players. Look at the Browns who have been a turn style for coaches and GMs. Each new set promises change and to build a team, wholesale changes get made and they don't win enough and new coach and GM once more. Is Houston any different or Jax or Miami?

Reply/Quote
Tom Brady is only making 1 million each for the next 2 years....of course he did get a 28 million dollar bonus

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 06:20 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Well, I think I made mention of this during the season.  It was an easy call to make, with the way Andy was playing and all.  It was time for me to eat a little crow.  While I thought they rushed into the contract, it turned out he had become well worth it.  It was a fair deal.  We bet on Andy and saved a little cash in the process by doing it early.  Win-win for everybody.  He gets paid, has security, we get a break, and both sides win with incentives.  Yada, yada, yada... Toast is a moron, it's a good deal.

Well that good deal became an absolute steal today.  Good God, have you guys actually seen Brock Osweilers new deal?  4 years 72 million dollars!!!!  72 million dollars.  18 mil per!!!  For Brock ***** Osweiler!!!!

What the hell is going on in this league?  I mean, Aaron Rodgers now has to worth a minimum of 45 mil per, right. (Kidding, but I'm not sure 30 is out of line)  

Thank God, we got Andy locked up we did.  I can't imagine looking at this turd factory of a market that is being created for QB's and paying one of the knob gobblers 15 mil plus.  Personally, I'd keep all that money and just pay out to the OL and running game, and that see if you can get a vet for 5 mil and pair with a rookie.  Screw this approach.
You are right, it did turn out to be a steal.

I am going off my memory (old guy so not as good as the early years), but I don't recall you trashing the AD contract. I thought you said it could end up being a fair deal. Some of us thought it was a steal at the time, but don't recall you being adamant is was a bad deal.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 06:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I said back then that while I initially wanted to wait to sign Andy, I liked the deal.

For one, it looked easy to get out of. Secondly, it was very affordable if you looked at the new deals QB's were signing.

It was pretty obvious the QB market was going up and 16 million was looking like average QB money.

Now look. Andy is making less than Bradford and Osweiler. The Bengals look like geniuses.

In contrast, The Ravens have done 2 bad contracts in a row with Flacco. All the bad cap moves hurt the teams ability to fill and keep quality starters and back ups. The AD contract was flat out awesome for the team and for AD as he had yet to prove how great he could be as was paid fairly based on that info.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 11:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's the one that stood out to me as well. Osweiler has started and played fairly well.

Daniel's deal is because of Doug Pederson. He's a big fan of the guy and wanted him on whatever team he was going to coach. I fully expect Daniel to start in Philly and they'll draft a mid round guy to develop.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 04:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: In contrast, The Ravens have done 2 bad contracts in a row with Flacco. All the bad cap moves hurt the teams ability to fill and keep quality starters and back ups. The AD contract was flat out awesome for the team and for AD as he had yet to prove how great he could be as was paid fairly based on that info.

Ravens have gone from a team who does it right in the offseason to being the exact opposite it seems. They are in salary cap mess like the steelers were with all those crazy contracts.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 12:19 AM)pally Wrote: Tom Brady is only making 1 million each for the next 2 years....of course he did get a 28 million dollar bonus

When you already have almost a whole hand's worth of SB rings, a couple ten million dollars in your bank account, a first ballot HoF in your back pocket, and a world famous supermodel wife who makes even more money than you.... you can afford to make a little less.  Lol

Honestly, it's kind of crazy that Drew Brees is eating up $30m of his team's cap space. How do you build a team around that? Guy's already filthy rich, doesn't he care about winning? We already know Joe Flacco doesn't. He got his one miracle SB from Anquan Boldin's jumpball catches, so now he's just cashing in while people mistake him for an above average QB.

You'd think some of these guys would be more interested in winning than getting more than everyone else. But heck, maybe it's just my commoner perspective that say "Hey man, $15m/yr is enough to set you for life after just one year of work, the rest is gravy. Save some cap space for a competitive team around you."

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 07:26 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: So we can have a season like the Cowboys had?

Hell, Dalton was the iron man at QB of our division and still had a season ending injury.  But you're comfortable getting rid of the capable backup?

Nah sir.

Just thought with how crazy some teams were paying some just okay QB's that we might get some crazy good shit for AJM...

Thats all. Don't get your panties in a twist JFK. Mellow
Reply/Quote