Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 1.17 Average
Andy Dalton is a Quitter
Sometimes I think merely releasing Andy Dalton isn’t going to be enough to satisfy the fans.

In fact, I think maybe tarring and feathering Andy, riding him out of town on a rail, having a massive bonfire of #14 jerseys in the stadium parking lot, burning him in effigy, and issuing a restraining order forbidding him to get within 500 yards of Paul Brown Stadium might not be enough either.

This needs to stop.

Andy Dalton is gone and yes it was time for it to happen — but why gloat and revel in someone’s misfortune? We are better than this. Show Andy some gratitude and wish him well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 03:13 PM)PDub80 Wrote: He did stick around. He didn't retire. Carson stuck it out, training on his own and waiting for his opportunity.

He did threaten to retire. He did take his ball and go home. He did quit on his team. 

I don't, and have never had, any hatred for Carson. He did what he thought was best for him, and it ended up working out well for the Bengals. The fact remains though, he did 'quit' and there's no way around that. We can talk about the merits of his reasoning for doing so, but it doesn't change the fact that he did.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 03:23 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I wouldn't bench Carson either.

He sucked in 2010. A benching for him would've been just as justifiable as benching Dalton last year. The only difference is that we didn't have some 4th rounder we wanted to look at. Instead, we had Palmer's terrible brother.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 03:22 PM)PDub80 Wrote: - The Bengals drafting AD was a sign from the team they were moving on. No way Carson is sticking around after that.

- Andy Dalton is also rich. And now he is acting spoiled by demanding to be the starter or to be released/traded. That is EXACTLY what happened.

You don't seem to get the fact that Carson had already quit and "retired" when Andy was drafted.  He didn't leave because Andy was drafted. He left because he didn't like Mike Brown.

Carson was rich from the get go.  He had his own quarterback coach in high school.  He can't deal with adversity and not getting his own way.  Mike Brown was the only adversity he ever dealt with, outside of physical injuries.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 03:20 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Clearly he was trying to buy his job back by creating a good will groundswell in the community. 

I don't think so, doesn't fit his character. If anything he knew he was on his way out, and this was going to be his last good gesture for the community he has been a part of the last decade.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 03:18 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I said every one of his points is wrong except about the draft picks.  Correction:  He was also right about Dalton asking for his release. However, he was wrong on all of these:   Point #2. He is exactly like Carson: No.  Dalton wanted to be a starter.  Carson was the starter.  3. He demanded a release after his replacement was drafted, just like Carson. Wrong. Carson demanded a release way before Dalton was drafted.  He was already gone when Dalton was drafted.  5.  Carson was a real team player and stuck around the season, blah blah blah.  He quit after the 2010 season and was already gone by the time Dalton was drafted in 2011.  He is not high character.  Carson is a spoiled rich boy.

Carson asked Mike Brown to operate the team as if we were in the 21st century or trade him.

Dalton asked to be traded because he wasn’t the starter. When no one would trade for him he asked to be released rather than be a team player and mentor Burrow if that was going to be is role for $17M. Dalton could have made them team better, but he wasn’t interested.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 03:28 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Carson asked Mike Brown to operate the team as if we were in the 21st century or trade him.

Dalton asked to be traded because he wasn’t the starter. When no one would trade for him he asked to be released rather than be a team player and mentor Burrow if that was going to be is role for $17M. Dalton could have made them team better, but he wasn’t interested.

Carson retired.  Then he came back later when Hue Jackson offered an unbelievable trade.  Dalton wants to start in the NFL.  He didn't want to stay here and mentor his replacement, and I understand that.  I think it would have been a bad idea.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 03:23 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Sometimes I think merely releasing Andy Dalton isn’t going to be enough to satisfy the fans.  

In fact, I think maybe tarring and feathering Andy, riding him out of town on a rail, having a massive bonfire of #14 jerseys in the stadium parking lot, burning him in effigy, and issuing a restraining order forbidding him to get within 500 yards of Paul Brown Stadium might not be enough either.

This needs to stop.

Andy Dalton is gone and yes it was time for it to happen — but why gloat and revel in someone’s misfortune? We are better than this.  Show Andy some gratitude and wish him well.

It really is crazy. This fan base has always had a strange relationship with QB's. Kenny Anderson once called Bengals fans 'stupid and classless.' Boomer called out the fans during the strike season because he was getting so much shit. While I didn't like how Carson left the Bengals, he also dealt with craziness from fans even before that happened. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 03:17 PM)PDub80 Wrote: What Andy Dalton did by asking for his release is absolutely, 100% in line with what Carson did. If he wasn't selfish he would have taken a pay cut and stuck with the team until they could trade him.

The people on here saying this notion is dumb are the same ones who have no argument against it. Facts are the facts.

If this was not from Pdub I would say it was more trolling, but he really is this clueless.

Dalton "REQUESTED" a release.  He never said he would not play for the Bengals if they did not release him.

Palmer "DEMANDED" a release.  He said he would never play for the Bengals again.  He then quit the team and went home.

Only someone with PDub's IQ would think these were the same thing.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 03:23 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Sometimes I think merely releasing Andy Dalton isn’t going to be enough to satisfy the fans.  

This needs to stop.

Andy Dalton is gone and yes it was time for it to happen — but why gloat and revel in someone’s misfortune? We are better than this.  Show Andy some gratitude and wish him well.

Don't forget throwing trash on his lawn. Ninja
Reply/Quote
Andy will be picked up by Monday/Tuesday next week. Glad he's out of here because we couldn't afford him but appreciate what he did while here. He's definitely not a quitter. It was just his time to go and the decision was mutual.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 03:28 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Carson asked Mike Brown to operate the team as if we were in the 21st century or trade him.

Dalton never refused to stay and help mentor Burrow.  He never threatened to quit or retire.

All he did was request a release.

That is NOTHING like what palmer did.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 03:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Palmer went on a 10 game losing streak in 2010, threw 20 picks and a ridiculous 5 pick sixes, doesn't get benched, and blames the organization.

The difference is that Palmer didn't get benched, and Dalton didn't blame the organization, even though he easily could have.

I don't blame either for "quitting", but Dalton played the good soldier for far longer, and he didn't threaten retirement when he wasn't traded. He worked with the organization even though they burned him 5 times harder.

Andy Dalton doesn’t have the leadership to ever ask his boss to improve the team or trade him. But, he did ask to be traded if he wasn’t going to be the starter.
Reply/Quote
Worth saying again. Dumbest thread ever posted.
Reply/Quote
Someone has been day drinking.
Reply/Quote
Let the Dalton haters eat their cake. This is their day.

I don't think you see this from any other fanbase given the circumstances, but here we are.

In the mean time, the love Dalton is getting from NFL fans, pundits, and NFL current and former players begs to question why he wasn't getting his flowers before now? Like many other players, leaving Cinci has made them great again.

Times are about to change tho.

And soon even the underbelly of the fanbase will represent us good.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 03:38 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Andy Dalton doesn’t have the leadership to ever ask his boss to improve the team or trade him.

Based on this logic "quitter" equal "great leader".

So I am not sure if you are complimenting Dalton by calling him a "quitter" or not
Reply/Quote

If Andy was mentally weak as you said earlier, wouldn't he be more content to just stay here and get paid millions of dollars to hold a clipboard and have zero pressure on him at all? That would seem like a weak persons dream scenario to me.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 03:23 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: He did threaten to retire. He did take his ball and go home. He did quit on his team. 

I don't, and have never had, any hatred for Carson. He did what he thought was best for him, and it ended up working out well for the Bengals. The fact remains though, he did 'quit' and there's no way around that. We can talk about the merits of his reasoning for doing so, but it doesn't change the fact that he did.

If that is your argument for claiming Carson quit, then Andy quit, also.

I think people should have control over their own destiny so I don’t consider either of them quitters. But, if you’re going to claim one quit, then they both did.
Reply/Quote

This needs to stop.

Andy Dalton is gone and yes it was time for it to happen — but why gloat and revel in someone’s misfortune? We are better than this. Show Andy some gratitude and wish him well.

People will still be talking about Dalton on here for years... Just like that down on his luck friend that still pines for his 1st wife years later. It's embarrassing. I'm embarrassed for them if they aren't.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote