Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 1.17 Average
Andy Dalton is a Quitter
(04-30-2020, 03:42 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: If that is your argument for claiming Carson quit, then Andy quit, also. 

Dalton never refused to play for the Bengals.

He never quit in any way.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 03:30 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Carson retired.  Then he came back later when Hue Jackson offered an unbelievable trade.  Dalton wants to start in the NFL.  He didn't want to stay here and mentor his replacement, and I understand that.  I think it would have been a bad idea.

Carson did not retire. There was nothing preventing Andy Dalton from playing and mentoring Joe Burrow like Alex Smith did to Patrick Mahomes except Andy Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 03:48 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Carson did not retire. There was nothing preventing Andy Dalton from playing and mentoring Joe Burrow like Alex Smith did to Patrick Mahomes except Andy Dalton.

Carson left the team and said he would never play for them again.

Dalton never refused to mentor Burrow and would have if the Bengals had not released him.

There is no way to spin this into "Dalton did the same thing as Palmer".
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 03:42 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: If that is your argument for claiming Carson quit, then Andy quit, also.

I think people should have control over their own destiny so I don’t consider either of them quitters. But, if you’re going to claim one quit, then they both did.

The Bengals can't afford Andy's contract. 
They already promised to do right by him.
It became obvious that he had to be released.
Andy wanted that to happen sooner rather than later.
Nothing about any of that equals quitting.

Both sides were in a position where there was only one possible outcome. Andy requested that outcome go ahead and happen so he could look for other opportunities. The Bengals agreed and granted that request. The outcome was unavoidable and benefits both.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 03:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dalton never refused to stay and help mentor Burrow.  He never threatened to quit or retire.

All he did was request a release.

That is NOTHING like what palmer did.

Fred, players under contract who want to play for their current team don’t asked to be released so they don’t have to play another snap for said current team.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 03:17 PM)PDub80 Wrote: What Andy Dalton did by asking for his release is absolutely, 100% in line with what Carson did. If he wasn't selfish he would have taken a pay cut and stuck with the team until they could trade him.

The people on here saying this notion is dumb are the same ones who have no argument against it. Facts are the facts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carson_Palmer

Scroll down and read 2010 season and initial retirement. He asked to be traded after the season and when denied said he would retire and never set foot in Paul Brown Stadium again. He took his ball and went home like a baby. Dalton didn't do anything close to this during the season after being benched or after the season was over. To suggest both cases are 100% the same is showing stupidity at it's best.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 03:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Based on this logic "quitter" equal "great leader".

So I am not sure if you are complimenting Dalton by calling him a "quitter" or not

Show me the post of me calling Dalton a quitter.
Reply/Quote
The original post in this thread is pathetic.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 03:42 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If Andy was mentally weak as you said earlier, wouldn't he be more content to just stay here and get paid millions of dollars to hold a clipboard and have zero pressure on him at all? That would seem like a weak persons dream scenario to me.

Did I suggest he lacked the mental toughness to cash a check? Or compete for the job? I believe it was the latter.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 02:13 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: Facts:

1. Andy Dalton asked for his release, https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/1255849003712995338?s=21
2. He's exactly like Carson and a quitter.
3. Just like Carson he demanded a release after his replacement was drafted, what a baby
4. At least with Carson we got a few draft picks
5. Carson was a real team player and stuck around into the season deep enough until there was a QB injury so the Bengals could maximize his value, what a selfless high character move.

Dalton = worse than Carson. I better see folks burning Dalton jersey's all over the place cause this is some shameful stuff going down.  

#Quitter2.0

I lived on the West Coast for a long time. Met many smart people, even when talking about sports.  You couldn't have been any of them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 03:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dalton never refused to play for the Bengals.

He never quit in any way.

Did he honor his contract? Did he renegotiate to reduce his cap hit or to facilitate a trade?

Eh, no, no, and no.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 04:01 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Did I suggest he lacked the mental toughness to cash a check? Or compete for the job? I believe it was the latter.

If he lacks the mental toughness to compete for a job then he will not seek employment with any other NFL team.

Want to make a sig bet on that happening?
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 04:04 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Did he honor his contract? Did he renegotiate to reduce his cap hit or to facilitate a trade?

Eh, no, no, and no.

What are you talking about?  Dalton 100% honored his contract.

Nobody here knows if he tried to re-negotiate his contract to facilitate a trade, but nothing like that is in his contract.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 04:01 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Did I suggest he lacked the mental toughness to cash a check? Or compete for the job? I believe it was the latter.

That doesn't add up though. If he wasn't mentally tough enough to compete for a job, why would he be wanting to hit the open market looking for an opportunity to 'compete' for a job. It would be much easier for him to just stay put, cash the checks and not have to compete at all. Sorry brother, I just don't get your logic on this one.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 03:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Carson left the team and said he would never play for them again.

Dalton never refused to mentor Burrow and would have if the Bengals had not released him.

There is no way to spin this into "Dalton did the same thing as Palmer".

You’re a lawyer so you know what speculation is.

What are the facts? Andy asked to traded. Andy asked to be released when he wasn’t able to be traded. He asked to be traded or released because he did not want to do what you speculate. Everything we know indicates he wouldn’t. As a matter of fact, it is a 100% certainty, Andy won’t do what you speculate as a direct result of Andy’s own actions.
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton is a great person. I wish the best for him. He was a great Bengal who's time here expired. No hard feelings.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 03:52 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The Bengals can't afford Andy's contract. 
They already promised to do right by him.
It became obvious that he had to be released.
Andy wanted that to happen sooner rather than later.
Nothing about any of that equals quitting.

Both sides were in a position where there was only one possible outcome. Andy requested that outcome go ahead and happen so he could look for other opportunities. The Bengals agreed and granted that request. The outcome was unavoidable and benefits both.

They can’t afford him? Sure they can. There are any number of ways they can. The could renegotiate with Dalton for a home town discount. They could re-sign others to fit Andy under the cap. They could release other players to remain under the cap. They didn’t release him today because he is a cap casualty.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 04:18 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: They can’t afford him?  Sure they can. There are any number of ways they can. The could renegotiate with Dalton for a home town discount. They could re-sign others to fit Andy under the cap. They could release other players to remain under the cap. They didn’t release him today because he is a cap casualty.

Name one instance where a team kept an $18 million dollar backup when he could've been released with 0 dead cap.

Dalton was going to be cut. Period. It was a matter of when, not if.

I'd also point out that it's incredibly rare that a longtime starter would take a massive paycut to stay on the team as a clear backup.

These are things that just don't happen. It's not reality.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 02:13 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: Facts:

1. Andy Dalton asked for his release, https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/1255849003712995338?s=21
2. He's exactly like Carson and a quitter.
3. Just like Carson he demanded a release after his replacement was drafted, what a baby
4. At least with Carson we got a few draft picks
5. Carson was a real team player and stuck around into the season deep enough until there was a QB injury so the Bengals could maximize his value, what a selfless high character move.

Dalton = worse than Carson. I better see folks burning Dalton jersey's all over the place cause this is some shameful stuff going down.  

#Quitter2.0

Some posts make me feel like having a traumatic brain injury isn't so bad  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 04:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If he lacks the mental toughness to compete for a job then he will not seek employment with any other NFL team.

Want to make a sig bet on that happening?

Do I have a sig? No. So why would I make a sig bet?

I never wrote he didn’t want to start, Fred. So why would I want to make a sucker bet based upon a red herring?
Reply/Quote