Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Andy Dalton is an absolutely awful QB
(05-19-2015, 12:53 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Excellent points all the way around.

The only point I'd disagree with is the emphasis should be put on the QB much more so than lets say an OLB who had a bad game.  The QB is the most important position on the field by far....if he isn't getting it done more than likely the whole offense won't get it done; case in point the offense hasn't scored more than 10 points in any of the 4 playoff games. That is a direct reflection on the QB. Now you can argue that AJ Green didn't play great or dropped a few passes but the majority of the responsibility should be put on the QB. He's the one that touches the ball on every offensive possession and his stats and performance have been completely unacceptable in the playoffs. That is a fact whether people want to acknowledge it or not.

If that was the case then the team with the best QB will always win. That would mean Aaron Rodgers would win the SB almost every year. That would also mean that great QBs would never have losing years, yet great QBs have losing years all the time. It's obvious you just underestimate how important other positions are.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2015, 02:50 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: The point is Dalton isn't the only one to blame. He hasn't had any help what so ever in any playoff game, and it wouldn't have mattered who we had out there at QB. If the OL gives up 12 sacks, and we have no talent to throw the ball to how is he going to win games? Then on top of that the defense plays like a bottom ranked defense during the playoffs only getting 4 sacks and 2 TO and letting other teams run the ball for 150+ yards a game.

It matters because there are QBs that can win games when the defense stinks. Again, not saying it's all Dalton's fault but you act like expecting the guy to put up an average QB performance in the playoffs is insane. What's the point? We may as well have Ryan Lindley as our QB in the playoffs if the defense is going to give up 150+ rushing yards! Ninja
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2015, 01:45 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: You can go on believing that Dalton was the biggest reason why we lost in the playoffs, and I will go on believing that it was a total team meltdown, and it didn't matter who was at the QB position.

Herein lies the issue. You are completely throwing your hands and acting like every QB starts throwing INTs and coughing up no-contact fumbles every time the defense gets gouged by the run. Could we argue that teams have the luxury of passing less and running more when facing an opposing QB who hands the ball over on a regular basis? Probably. Could we also wonder why you think it is so insane to expect Dalton to put up a QB rating over 70 just ONCE in the playoffs regardless of how the defense plays? I mean, do you think Dalton is a good QB or not?

Ah, but we talk in circles.
Reply/Quote
CB a Dalton thread??

No way!
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2015, 01:52 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: If that was the case then the team with the best QB will always win. That would mean Aaron Rodgers would win the SB almost every year. That would also mean that great QBs would never have losing years, yet great QBs have losing years all the time. It's obvious you just underestimate how important other positions are.

That's not true at all.

The fact that the best QB in the NFL's team doesn't win the SB every year doesn't disprove the theory that QB is the most important position on the field. I don't know how you could even say that with a straight face. The NFL is absolutely a team game which is why I don't put W/L on QBs, but even I will admit that having a great QB will likely help a team much more than having a great OLB.

Here are the QBs that played in the conference championships over the last 10 years.

Brady, Wilson, Rodgers, Luck
P. Manning, Brady, Wilson, Kaepernick
Flacco, Brady, Ryan, Kaepernick
A. Smith, Flacco, Brady, E. Manning
Sanchez, Cutler, Roethlisberger, Rodgers
Favre, Brees, Sanchez, P. Manning
Flacco, McNabb, Warner, Roethlisberger
E. Manning, Favre, Brady, Rivers
Brees, Brady, P. Manning, Grossman
Delhomme, Plummer, Hasselbeck, Roethlisberger (lol @ this year)

Don't forget that while Flacco and Eli aren't the best regular season QBs, they're known as a couple of the best postseason QBs in history.

If you have an upper tier QB or a QB that plays like one in the playoffs, you usually have a much better shot at making it somewhere than if you don't. This list proves that you CAN win with an average QB, but it also shows that it probably helps to have one that can put up a 70+ passer rating in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2015, 05:51 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I don't think he's "awful."  He needs to play better in the playoffs.  He has averaged 10 wins a year in the regular season.  But if he doesn't improve this year, I expect the Bengals will walk away from his contract and have  a QB battle in camp next year.

0% chance that happens. Marv and AD are in this together. No way will he be let go with Marv still the HC.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2015, 10:59 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Remind me again why that was a fumble. I see full control to the ground. Whatever

Dude, you are so right!
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 12:02 PM)FanStuckInIndy Wrote: Dude, you are so right!

Dude, you are so wrong!

(05-16-2015, 09:32 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Ground can only NOT cause a fumble if you've been touched before/while hitting the ground or if the QB is sliding to give himself up. He was diving ahead to try and gain more yards so he's still considered an active runner until he's touched.

(05-16-2015, 10:27 PM)OSUfan Wrote: It is only a fumble for a QB and not for any other player because the QB has the option to slide and give himself up. Since he did not and went head first the ground is then allowed to cause a fumble. Ignorant rule.

(05-16-2015, 11:58 PM)Ryuko Wrote: Actually, the way the rule is written, any player can give themselves up. But if you ever see a RB do it, expect them to be cut the next day. They get paid to take hits.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2015, 05:18 PM)Ryuko Wrote: Because it isn't college. The play isn't over until he is down by contact in a head-first dive. The ball is out before he is tagged. Only in a feet-first situation is he considered to be "giving himself up".

He's treated as a RB in this play. NFL rules are that the ground cannot force a fumble - on a running play.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2015, 07:09 PM)Bengel11 Wrote: Informal poll, for arguments sake of course.

If you could boot either Marvin Lewis or Andy Dalton, which one is shown the door?

Neither.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 12:12 PM)FanStuckInIndy Wrote: He's treated as a RB in this play.  NFL rules are that the ground cannot force a fumble - on a running play.

Bro, if a RB breaks thru the line untouched goes fifty yards untouched and trips over the 20 yard line on the way into the endzone, and has full control of the football all the way to the ground and the ball pops lose upon hitting the ground ! Guess what he just fumbled.

If a LBer nails a RB sideways and his knee hits the ground. Then after the hit and the knee the ground knocks the football out, it's not a fumble !

See the difference ?
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2015, 03:52 PM)Attackcat Wrote: My only hope for the offense this year is the stud running back duo and what should be a very good and stacked o-line. For the record I don't think Andy is even a bad qb I just don't like him lol.

I would question that - even Colin Cowherd likes Andy!
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 10:38 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: 0% chance that happens. Marv and AD are in this together. No way will he be let go with Marv still the HC.

Oh, I don't know. I could see if AD struggles again in the playoffs, Marv deciding to at least have an open competition for the starting QB job. But, not with a draft pick or QB who's never started (*cough* McCarron *cough*). They'd most likely get a free agent QB and go from there.

I could see that happening, but I doubt it happens. Most likely, if ML is here, AD is the QB.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 12:12 PM)FanStuckInIndy Wrote: He's treated as a RB in this play.  NFL rules are that the ground cannot force a fumble - on a running play.

If there's contact involved, sure. On this play, Andy was untouched.

You should brush up on these rules before making 10 more misinformed posts about the same thing in this thread LOL
Reply/Quote