Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andy Dalton street value
(03-21-2018, 03:48 PM)Synric Wrote: If you use passer rating as the only measurement to rank QBs Aaron Rodgers would be #1 but he's not...That spot belongs to Tom Brady. 

I could even argue for Ben Roethlisberger being #2 with 3 super bowl apperances and 2 wins.

I agree that there's no single stat you can use to compare QBs in relation to each other, but unless you're talking about over their careers, I would not argue Ben being in the top 5 CURRENTLY. Ben's on the downside of his career and while he's still a top QB I would not put him in that elite category ANYMORE. Over the course of his career, there's no denying his greatness, though dude's still a rapist. ThumbsUp
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I love the thread title: "Andy Dalton street value"

Let me go check with Huggy Bear on that.

[Image: Huggy%2BBear%2B-%2BAntonio%2BFargas%2B-%...BHutch.jpg]
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 04:22 PM)Synric Wrote: Winning in general should play a role.

I believe division should play a role too. The AFC North has been one of the best in the NFL over the past decade not only sporting some of the best defenses but consistently putting 2 teams in the playoffs.

It's tough to be a Quarterback in the AFC North lol.

Agreed. I'd also add that the AFCN is maybe the only division with all cold weather cities and no domes.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
This thread has been beaten to death. Although I defend Dalton I never claim he is among the elite. And here are the stats that I feel define him.

Since 2011 only 5 QBs (Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Ryan, P Manning) had more games with a 125+ passer rating than Dalton.

But no QB had more games with a rating of 65 or lower. Dalton had 25. Eli Manning and Cam Newton were tied for second with 23.

Dalton has a high ceiling. When he is good he can be among the best. But when he is bad he is horrible.

His biggest weakness is his inconsistency.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 12:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This thread has been beaten to death.  Although I defend Dalton I never claim he is among the elite.  And here are the stats that I feel define him.

Since 2011 only 5 QBs (Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Ryan, P Manning) had more games with a 125+ passer rating  than Dalton.

But no QB had more games with a rating of 65 or lower.  Dalton had 25.  Eli Manning and Cam Newton were tied for second with 23.

Dalton has a high ceiling.  When he is good he can be among the best.  But when he is bad he is horrible.  

Here's the problem I have with any "since 2011" (or insert year) stats: It eliminates way too many players. 

1. There are so many starters who came into the league after 2011.

2. Some QBs have come and gone during that time. Many have missed entire seasons or lots of games.

How many QBs have made as many starts as Dalton from 2011-present? We might be talking about 10 QBs, probably less. And this is also why I don't use any "since 2011" stats to defend Dalton. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 06:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agreed. I'd also add that the AFCN is maybe the only division with all cold weather cities and no domes.

Kind of odd that none have domes considering the cold winters in each city. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 01:48 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Kind of odd that none have domes considering the cold winters in each city. 

Ikr? I had to think about it for awhile, but the AFCE has Miami, which is always warm obviously. The NFCN has at least 1 dome team. (I can't remember if Minnesota's new stadium is domed). This is the only all cold weather division with no dome team, and we play most division games late in the season it seems.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 01:55 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Ikr? I had to think about it for awhile, but the AFCE has Miami, which is always warm obviously. The NFCN has at least 1 dome team. (I can't remember if Minnesota's new stadium is domed). This is the only all cold weather division with no dome team, and we play most division games late in the season it seems.

Minnesota's stadium is a dome.  I believe the SB was played there.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 12:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This thread has been beaten to death.  Although I defend Dalton I never claim he is among the elite. 
You and me both. Dalton is not elite, nor has he ever been. I believe the potential is there, but at this point, I don't know if he'll ever reach it. With that said, Dalton IS an above average QB; not top 5, borderline top 10, but certainly top 15.
(03-23-2018, 12:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Since 2011 only 5 QBs (Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Ryan, P Manning) had more games with a 125+ passer rating  than Dalton.

But no QB had more games with a rating of 65 or lower.  Dalton had 25.  Eli Manning and Cam Newton were tied for second with 23.

Dalton has a high ceiling.  When he is good he can be among the best.  But when he is bad he is horrible.  

This. So much this. Dalton can have some great games, but he can also have some truly horrendous games. I bet, if he eliminated those crap games (they were simply average instead of crap), Dalton would be considered by most to be in the tier just below elite. But, until he'll stop with the Ryan Leaf-esque games, until he stops with the inconsistency, we're going to have these types of threads.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 07:52 AM)McC Wrote: Minnesota's stadium is a dome.  I believe the SB was played there.

Isn't it a retractable dome?
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 11:55 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Isn't it a retractable dome?

No, it's a fixed roof with a lot of sunlight coming in.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 06:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agreed. I'd also add that the AFCN is maybe the only division with all cold weather cities and no domes.

...and less indoor practice facilities!
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2018, 02:01 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: ...and less indoor practice facilities!

[Image: Oh-boy-here-we-go.jpg]
Reply/Quote